• RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wed 27th December D2W2

Warm up:
Hip focused mobility
10min bike
Speed skaters
Goblet squats (20kg db) 3x10

Squats: ultra wide stance 60kgx10, 80kgx10, 100kg 3x5, 120kg 2x5. Adductors cooked.
GM 60kg 5x20
Sissy squats BW 5x8

Cardio: 25min treadmill, 20min @7.5/hr, +.5km/hr every min after that. Avg HR 124.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Observation: last week my HRV score went south in a fairly linear fashion with each training session even as sleep scores went up. This week it seems to be slowly recovering. I’m hoping this is a short term metabolic reaction to the reintroduction of training stimulus. Today it is 39, up from 29 on Monday. Interested to see where it is in one week.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 29th December D3W2

At my local 24/7:

No mobility work today - going to do it later on after a hot bath.

BB Row: worked up to 100kg 2x5, 110kg 3x5
BW chin-up 5x6
Seated DB OHP worked up to 30kgx5, 25kg 3x8
Db side lateral raise 10kg 3x8
Chest supported rear delt raise 7.5kg 5x8
Seated cable row ‘90’ 3x8

Last edited:
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 30th December D4W2

Reverse Zot curl 15kgx5, 17.5kgx5, 20kgx5, 22.5kg 2x5, 1x4, 20kgx5
Single arm cable tri overhead extension (to the side at 45) 10 x5, 12.5 3x5, 15 2x5
Db curl strict 20kg x5, 22.5kg 4x5
Cable rope tri push down 35 5x8
Fat bar (2” grip) neutral curl 30kg for 8,8,8,5,5

This workout felt great. First time in a long time pushing anything to failure.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 31st December D5W2

Incline bench press: worked up to 60kgx8, 80kgx5,4 60kg 2x8. This movement is developmental for me - typically my r shoulder plays up once weight gets over 80kg

Rear delt raise is supported: 12.5kg 5x8

Lateral DB raise dropsets with 10kg:5kg for 8:8, 8:7, 7:8

Low to high cable chest fly 4th plate for 10,9,9,9,8.5

Wide grip pull up BW

Feel great today.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tuesday 2nd January D1W3:

At my local 24hr gym:
Hip focused warm ups (hips are tight from squats last week)
Lat pull down - worked up to ‘45’ (just enough weight to balance my bodyweight thus requiring momentum to get into the seat) for 5x6
Bench press: worked up to 100kg paused & slow x5, then 110kg paused and slow 2x5, 115kg 2x5
BW pull up wide grip 3x8
Bench assisted rear delt flyes, slow and limited ROM (to maximise TUT)7.5kg for 14,12,12,12.12+ 4x.5 reps (Sam Sulek style hehe)
High to low cable chest flyes 3rd plate, slow & focused, 1x12, + half weight 2x12
Low to high cable chest flyes power squeeze into pause and slow eccentric 4th plate 10, + half weight 2x8

20min jog treadmill

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thursday 4th January D3W3

Can’t squat today. Last week I hurt something in my groin which has left me tight and sore all week. This morning as soon as I squatted with a bar in my back I could feel heaps of resistance in my right leg and pain in the groin. Left the racks and went back to functional training area:

Goblet squat 24kg kb 10x10
BW lunges 3x30
Good Morning 60kg 3x20
Lying leg curl ‘45’ 10,10,9,8,8

10min stairmaster
10min bike
10min row
10min x-trainer
10min jog

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s weird to me you could do goblet squats with a heavier weight than the empty barbell, and no problem lunging, but you say you have groin pain barbell squatting.

I suspect your squat stance is entirely too wide.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It’s weird to me you could do goblet squats with a heavier weight than the empty barbell, and no problem lunging, but you say you have groin pain barbell squatting.

I suspect your squat stance is entirely too wide.
Definitely squatting much wider than what is optimal for my natural mechanics. Im trying to develop a squat that doesn’t require much ankle flexion as my right ankle is impaired.

Honestly, I could have squatted yesterday but at an increased risk of injury. In the past I’ve cooked the right adductor the week before flaring up my back and that’s how I felt yesterday. Not stressed about missing one week of progression at my current level.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 5th January:

Feel like a big ball of inflammation today. Went to a trampoline park with my family yesterday and was surprised by how easy my 1hr of bouncing seemed. Then I woke up this morning, and I swear just about every joint I can imagine popped as I got out of bed. Great cardio though, ended up spending 83min above 110bpm yesterday!

At the Cartel today:

BB Row: worked up to 110kg 4x5, 120kgx5 - nice and slow to preserve my grip (must find my straps for next week)

BW chin-up 5x5

Seated DB OHP worked up to 25kgx8, 30kg 3x5

Db side lateral raise 10kg 3x8, 1x10

Chest supported rear delt raise 7.5kgx12, 10kg 10,12,13,10,8.5

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 6th January

Reverse Zot curl 15kgx5, 20kg 6,5,6,6,6 - my left side is lagging

Single arm cable tri overhead extension (to the side at 45) 12.5 for 8,8,8,8,

Db curl strict 20kg x8, 22.5kg 5,5,5,5 - think this might be a PR

Cable rope tri push down 35 3x8, 40 for 2x8 - getting a fucking epic pump

Oly bar neutral curl 30kg for 8,8,8,8,8 + bar only

Cable bar push down 47.5 (whole stack!) x10, 47.5 + 2x overload weights for 3x5, stack only for 6,5,4

Great sesh - arms are feeling strong atm.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Saturday 6th January

Reverse Zot curl 15kgx5, 20kg 6,5,6,6,6 - my left side is lagging

Single arm cable tri overhead extension (to the side at 45) 12.5 for 8,8,8,8,

Db curl strict 20kg x8, 22.5kg 5,5,5,5 - think this might be a PR

Cable rope tri push down 35 3x8, 40 for 2x8 - getting a fucking epic pump

Cable bar push down 47.5 (whole stack!) x10, 47.5 + 2x overload weights for 3x5, stack only for 6,5,4

Great sesh - arms are feeling strong atm.
Benny why are you doing low-rep tricep pushdowns with the stack? You’re likely not getting full tri extension at a weight that lands you in that rep range, which means you’d fail to fully engage the tricep.

That final inch of extension, if you watch yourself flex your side tricep in the mirror, is literally the entire point for that accessory. No matter how much you load up, if you don’t get that total ROM there is a huge difference in how much the muscle ends up contracting. Guys end up just pushing it down with their long head.

Speaking as someone who couldn’t do that last inch for a couple years, and is still rebuilding my left side; the atrophy was pretty noticeable.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Benny why are you doing low-rep tricep pushdowns with the stack? You’re likely not getting full tri extension at a weight that lands you in that rep range, which means you’d fail to fully engage the tricep.

That final inch of extension, if you watch yourself flex your side tricep in the mirror, is literally the entire point for that accessory. No matter how much you load up, if you don’t get that total ROM there is a huge difference in how much the muscle ends up contracting. Guys end up just pushing it down with their long head.

Speaking as someone who couldn’t do that last inch for a couple years, and is still rebuilding my left side; the atrophy was pretty noticeable.
All good mate.

I’ll go back to doing drop sets when my bench numbers start coming up.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 7th Jan Should be D5W3

All week my weight has been climbing and this morning I’m 110.5kg. I’m putting it down to fluid retained from creatine supplementation (started at beginning of this training cycle, 3-5g/day) some body fat (skins up this morning, 14mm ab 8mm chest 8mm thigh) and short term adaptations to training (mainly inflammation). Im keen to start tracking macros at this point: I want the data so I can fine tune things when they get serious later on.

I am feeling great. HRV is healthy with my score hovering in the 70s, my resting HR has risen slightly: up from 57 to 60, and sleep score has been in the 75-85 range. Aside from creatine I’ve been taking Shisandra extract (50mg) ZMA (100mg magnesium 30mg zinc) DIM (200mg) P5P (sporadically at 100mg per dose) and grape seed extract daily. Diet has been lots of salmon (I’ve eaten a lot of sashimi this holidays!) steak, mince & beans with a daily serving of broccoli and several servings of mango and other stone fruits. Still taking 3x heart meds daily including ramipril, dapagliflozin and bisoprolol. Diuretics on hand still but only to be taken as required - I used these over Xmas a little but none so far since Boxing Day.

Incline bench press: worked up to 60kgx8, 65kg x8, 70kg x8,8,6 60kgx12. Incline setting 4, hands at pinky on inner ring.

Rear delt raise is supported: 12.5kgx 8 horrible reps, 10kg for 14, 12.5kg for 8 horrible reps again, 10kg for 14,

Lateral DB raise dropsets with 10kg:5kg for 10:8, 10:8, 10:8

Low to high cable chest fly 4th plate for 10,10, 4th plate + overload plate for 10,10,10

Wide grip pull up BW

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 8thJan Rest Day

Left glute is knotted up today, could feel this as soon as I rose. Pretty classic response to an adductor injury on the opposite side.

At the Cartel:

Worked through my hip mobility routine 3 times before the urge to do belt squats overcame me.

Belt squat 40kg: 10,10,10,10,10,10,10 - right thigh glitching at first but was able to literally grind it out by focusing on engaging my right foot with the ground until nice smooth action for last few sets. I feel great now, definitely going to add belt squats to my leg day.

Calf raise hack squat machine: 60kg 3x8

Cardio:
Treadmill 20min 7km/hr; x-trainer 10min level 10, row 10min 2:20-2:25 min/500m

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I tore my adductor magnus right up where it basically goes to the pelvic bone around the chode. I pr'd my clean in a nice squatty catch training with a USA olympian at the time so it was worth it and didn't actually have pain for a few days. That's been my only real groin injury over the years, but everyone thought it was a hernia for a few weeks. dropping off a pull-up bar it felt like all my internal pressure/weight was slamming against the so called "pelvic floor". I actually ended up going to urgent care and getting a hernia check. which was awkward in a whole different story.

long story short, I switched to sumos and any other adductor trigging motion/lift I could for a month to rehab it and it hasn't been an issue since (about 8 years) with the exception of when I throw in bulgarians. Bulgarians always seem to aggravate it and then my squats take an extra couple sets to get warm.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I tore my adductor magnus right up where it basically goes to the pelvic bone around the chode. I pr'd my clean in a nice squatty catch training with a USA olympian at the time so it was worth it and didn't actually have pain for a few days. That's been my only real groin injury over the years, but everyone thought it was a hernia for a few weeks. dropping off a pull-up bar it felt like all my internal pressure/weight was slamming against the so called "pelvic floor". I actually ended up going to urgent care and getting a hernia check. which was awkward in a whole different story.

long story short, I switched to sumos and any other adductor trigging motion/lift I could for a month to rehab it and it hasn't been an issue since (about 8 years) with the exception of when I throw in bulgarians. Bulgarians always seem to aggravate it and then my squats take an extra couple sets to get warm.
I’d be pretty disappointed if I tore it trying to squat 120kg!

Honestly, I think it’s just getting overworked. I broke my right leg quite badly in 2021 and my right foot still does not function properly which results in some excessive tension through the adductor when I’m squatting. I’m still trying to find a work around technique and gain mobility where I can.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’d be pretty disappointed if I tore it trying to squat 120kg!
honestly my squat clean (I hate saying that but when you just say clean now days sometimes people assume power clean) was only about the same weight. but I think 2-3 days in a row of volume and hitting it just right did just enough damage to cause discomfort for a few weeks. I mean it didn't take me out of the game by any means, but created a project to rehab for a short stint.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tuesday 9th Jan w4d1

Woke up at midnight and couldn’t get back to sleep, by 1am I gave up trying and arose, bloated AF after pigging out on awesome yet cheap sushi yesterday. 111.5kg BW.

At the Cartel:

Quick warm up today, band movements for shoulders and some basic hip rotation work.

Lat pull down - worked up to ‘45’ (just enough weight to balance my bodyweight thus requiring momentum to get into the seat) for 5x6

Bench press: worked up to 100kg paused & slow x5 (can feel accumulative fatigue here) then 115kg 4x5 paused & slow eccentric - last set was a struggle to control tempo, I’m ready to deload!

BW pull up wide grip 3x6 - fuk u soy sauce

Bench assisted rear delt flyes, slow and limited ROM (to maximise TUT)7.5kg for 15, 10kg for 12,10, 6, 7.5kg for 12,12

Seated side lateral db raise 7.5kg for 12,12,12,12,15

High to low cable chest flyes 4th plate, slow & controlled for 8,8,8,8,8

I am feeling pretty cooked.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wednesday 10th Jan

Tuesday macros: 3308cal 233g protein263g carbs 142g fat.

10hrs sleep last night, almost 8.5hrs below 50bpm! Great recovery sleep! Readiness index 88, and first time since heart failure I’ve awoken with a flat belly without using diuretics. Muscles are all swollen and a little hot, and my joints feel great!

W4D2 Local Anytime:

Warmup: brief hip routine with a little extra stretching, BB Squats barx20, 60kgx10, 80kgx10

squats: BB back squat medium width stance: working sets: 100kgx5,; 120kg x5,6; 140kgx5. Focus on building right foot

Good morning: 60kg 2x20; 70kgx20

Lying leg curl 45x10, 50 2x10

yowee

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Fri 12th Jan

Macros yesterday: 3309cal 215p 348c 94f

At my local 24hr gym:
BB Row: worked up to 110kgx5, 120kg 3x5 (failing grip last set - couldn’t find my damn straps this morning) 110kgx5

BW chin-up 5x5 - trying to perfect my form with these in front of a mirror and every week my symmetry improves. I believe this approach has really helped me with improving shoulder stability.

Seated DB OHP worked up to 25kgx8, 30kg 3x5 - last set sucked

Db side lateral raise 10kg x10, 12.5kg 2x8 12.5:10kg drop set 8:6

Chest supported rear delt raise 10kg 10,12,12,11,10

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 13th Jan

Macros yesterday: 3452 cal 229p 339c 116f

Reverse Zot curl 15kgx5, 20kg x 6, 22.5kgx4.5, 20kg x5,5,6

Single arm cable tri overhead extension (to the side at 45) 12.5 for 8,8,10,10 - slow tempo today to really push myself. Felt cooked at the end!

Db curl strict 22.5kg x 6,6,6 25kg x 5,5 breaking new ground here

Cable rope tri push down droplets 32.5: 17.5: 12.5 8:10:12 for 3 sets

Cable bar push down drop set 40:32.5:17.5 for 10:10:10 x 3 sets

cooked!!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 14th January

Food yesterday: 3726cal 257p 385c 116f

Cardiac indications: RHR 56bpm (58 avg for last week), HRV 66 (58 monthly avg) readiness score 98.

BW this morning 111kg skins 16mm ab 10mm chest 10mm thigh.

I’m not unhappy about the weight gain. I view my ability to consistently eat more than 3k calories with steady HRV scores as a really good sign. Eating was honestly a struggle for the first few months and even over Christmas I struggled with the big meals whereas last week my body was craving the food and able to digest it more easily. I’ve had little junk food over the last week and limited my sodium intake (except for the Sunnybank Sushi) which definitely makes it easier.

Haven’t done any cardio since Monday. Not stressing, it’s overload week, the objective is strength gain and fatigue stimulation. Will make up for it next week while I de-load.

At my local Anytime:

Incline bench press: worked up to 70kgx5,, 75kg x5,5,5,6 60kgx12. Incline setting 4, hands at pinky 1 inch in from inner ring

Rear delt raise unsupported: 12.5kgx 12,12 15kg:12.5kg drop sets for 8:4, 8:4, 8:6. Going to keep doing these on day 5 - it really is a vastly different movement to the chest supported variant and seem to help liberate my shoulders when I focus on locking my arms with my triceps and extending through my thoracic segment with cervical neutrality.

BW pull up 5x5 - realised I haven’t been recording these properly. Been doing 5x5 with no progression just for the stretch and neuromuscular maintenance.

Chest supported lateral DB raise dropsets with 10kg:5kg for 8:8, 8:8 - faaaarrrrrk these are a game changer! Epic shoulder pump with this technique. Check out this vid:

Low to high cable chest fly 4th plate for 10, 5th plate for 8, 10 (bad set tho lost control of eccentric tempo), 6 (better set shaky final rep).

Im happy with D5W4.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tuesday 16th Jan W5D1

Sunday was a big day for cardio: 20min seated bike, 400m swim at the local pool, 2hr bounce session at trampoline park (45min actual jump time) 93min above 110bpm.

Sunday food: 3429 cal 257p 289c 125f
Monday food: 3666 cal 185p 390c 138f

At the Cartel:

Bench press: 60kgx20, 70kgx20, 80kgx16

Lat pull down 80x10, 100 2x5, 70x10

Bench assisted rear delt flyes: 15deg bench incline, straight arms limited ROM 7.5kg for 10,12,12,12,12 - technique refinement: push body up bench to roll chest forward for better delt activation.

Chest supported side lateral db raise 7.5kg for 12, 7.5kg:5kg drop sets for 8:6,

High to low cable chest flyes 4th plate, slow & controlled for 8,8,8

Cardio: 15min jog, 15min ski

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Building back nicely in here
Thanks mate! Gotta say, it feels really good to be able to start pushing myself a little more!

Yeah getting your body processing quality nutrition well is a great thing!
True! I've made some knowledge gains in the process too - for example, probiotics are under-rated! Adding Yakult into my diet has really improved my energy levels and sense of well-being. Shitting 3xday reduces anxiety!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks mate! Gotta say, it feels really good to be able to start pushing myself a little more!

True! I've made some knowledge gains in the process too - for example, probiotics are under-rated! Adding Yakult into my diet has really improved my energy levels and sense of well-being. Shitting 3xday reduces anxiety!
Mental health is directly influenced by gut health. Antibiotic use and other meds that disturb it are associated with things like temporary depression, feelings of being unwell, etc.

It’s important to keep the cauldron healthy!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mental health is directly influenced by gut health. Antibiotic use and other meds that disturb it are associated with things like temporary depression, feelings of being unwell, etc.

It’s important to keep the cauldron healthy!
I swear by sauerkraut, kimchi, and recently Veda-gest. I sound old lol

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thursday 18th January W5D2

At the Cartel:

Skwaats: BB back squat medium width stance: working sets: 100kgx5,; 120kg 3x5. I recorded these sets and was disappointed by how far from hitting depth they were.

Belt squat 120kg 5x10: working on right ankle flexion and thigh strength at full flexion - these were directly challenging the medial aspect of my right leg from thigh to toe. I think these may be the way forward.

Good morning: 70kgx20,20, 75kgx16 -

Lying leg curl 45x10 +4 x half rep, 9+4 x half rep, 8+ 4x half rep

BW sissy squats 3x6

Hack squat machine calf raise 80kg x14,14,12 +2 half reps

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thursday 18th January W5D2

At the Cartel:

Skwaats: BB back squat medium width stance: working sets: 100kgx5,; 120kg 3x5. I recorded these sets and was disappointed by how far from hitting depth they were.

Belt squat 120kg 5x10: working on right ankle flexion and thigh strength at full flexion - these were directly challenging the medial aspect of my right leg from thigh to toe. I think these may be the way forward.

Good morning: 70kgx20,20, 75kgx16 -

Lying leg curl 45x10 +4 x half rep, 9+4 x half rep, 8+ 4x half rep

BW sissy squats 3x6

Hack squat machine calf raise 80kg x14,14,12 +2 half reps
Official belt squat day! What model they got at said cartel?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 18th

At my local 24hr gym:
BB Row: worked up to 90kg x8,10.10

BW chin-up 5x5 - trying to perfect my form with these in front of a mirror and every week my symmetry improves. I believe this approach has really helped me with improving shoulder stability.

Seated DB OHP worked up to 25kgx8, 30kg 3x5 - last set sucked

Db side lateral raise 10kg x10, 12.5kg 2x8 12.5:10kg drop set 8:6

Chest supported rear delt raise 10kg 10,12,12,11,10
Negative. I’ll have to give it a googs. Italy does tend to make some nice stuff.
The iso-lat machine and pendulum leg press are both very humbling

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Panata - have you heard of these? Supposed to be pretty good, made in Italy
Panata is definitely a very high quality brand of equipment. No idea on their Beltsquat but in general.

Are you doing any mobility drills on the ankle directly prior to those squats? Like band over toes tracing the ABCs or something to warm the tendons up directly?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 18th

Wed macros: 3608cal 210p 379c 127f
Thurs macros: 3190cal 211p 328c 110f
BW 111.5kg
Need to reduce fat content - I can see fat gains in the mirror

At my local 24hr gym:
BB Row: worked up to 90kg for 8.10.10.10.10

Cable lat pull down- trying to transfer chin up gains here including retracted scaps, external rotation humerus

Seated DB OHP worked up to 20kg for 10,12, 15 - would like to push these next block.

Chest supported Db side lateral raise: (these absolutely fukking cooked my delts on Sunday - couldn’t even comfortably masturbate til Tuesday). Recorded these and seriously tweaked my form after the first set 7.5kgx10 - I realised I’m using traps too much. Settled on 5kgx10 with weight supported by knees on bench for 3 sets.

Chest supported rear delt raise 7.5kg for 20,15,15

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Panata is definitely a very high quality brand of equipment. No idea on their Beltsquat but in general.

Are you doing any mobility drills on the ankle directly prior to those squats? Like band over toes tracing the ABCs or something to warm the tendons up directly?
No. I stopped doing a lot of flexion work based on advice from my physio. Every time I did it my ankle would bleed and become inflamed the following day. His reasoning: flexion is mechanically limited due to the joint damage and the metal screw in the end of my tibia. I have been working a lot on my right sole though, trying to recover toes from nerve damage.

A lot of my problem is I’m not connecting with my right leg properly and things that should automatically happen don’t and have to be cognitively cued. There is 1.5” difference in circumference between right and left thigh (left thigh better developed). Squats are beneficial as long as I can do them without aggravating that right ankle. Hence my quest for greater hip mobility and wider stance.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No. I stopped doing a lot of flexion work based on advice from my physio. Every time I did it my ankle would bleed and become inflamed the following day. His reasoning: flexion is mechanically limited due to the joint damage and the metal screw in the end of my tibia. I have been working a lot on my right sole though, trying to recover toes from nerve damage.

A lot of my problem is I’m not connecting with my right leg properly and things that should automatically happen don’t and have to be cognitively cued. There is 1.5” difference in circumference between right and left thigh (left thigh better developed). Squats are beneficial as long as I can do them without aggravating that right ankle. Hence my quest for greater hip mobility and wider stance.
Makes sense to me! Just respect the adductors too and realize it takes a long time to build them up for sumo width squat. They talked about Chuck Vogelpohl a couple decades to perfect his multiply stance.

Good luck with the beltsquats!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 20th Jan W5D4

Food yesterday: 3021 cal 232p 262c 116f

Went for a 35min treadmill run yesterday afternoon, averaging 9.2km/hr and working between 130-155bpm. I felt great afterwards, but I don’t think I ate enough carbs afterwards as I feel flat this morning and pump is elusive.

At the Cartel today:

Reverse Zot curl 15kgx5, 15kgx10, 20kg x 3x8

Single arm cable tri overhead extension (to the side at 45) 12.5 for 8 15 for 3x8, 15:12.5 drop set for 6:4

Db curl strict 22.5kg x 6,6,6 having trouble with blood sugar here, even after 75g carbs

Decided to work in some incline press at this point, so I can sleep and eat tomorrow:

Inclube benchpress: worked up to 70kgx10, 80kg 3x6. These felt comfortable - easier on a proper incline bench - but my blood sugar is crashed: HR is mildly elevated and I’m shaking and really feeling like ****. Normally my body is more resilient but one of the medications I’m on lowers blood sugar (shuttles glucose to kidneys) as a side effect and I think I’m feeling more depleted as a result.

Took a 20min break, consumed another 75mg carbs (dextrose).

Cable rope tri push down 30 3x8

Cable bar push down 40 3x10

Preacher curl 30kg + ezibar 3x6

Shoulder opening shoulder level concentration cable curl (step forward and turn head away during eccentric phase - this one is from my physio) 2nd plate for 3x6 each side.

This sesh sucked. I’m full, yet depleted. Need a magnesium salt bath and a couple days rest.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Saturday 20th Jan W5D4

Food yesterday: 3021 cal 232p 262c 116f

Went for a 35min treadmill run yesterday afternoon, averaging 9.2km/hr and working between 130-155bpm. I felt great afterwards, but I don’t think I ate enough carbs afterwards as I feel flat this morning and pump is elusive.

At the Cartel today:

Reverse Zot curl 15kgx5, 15kgx10, 20kg x 3x8

Single arm cable tri overhead extension (to the side at 45) 12.5 for 8 15 for 3x8, 15:12.5 drop set for 6:4

Db curl strict 22.5kg x 6,6,6 having trouble with blood sugar here, even after 75g carbs

Decided to work in some incline press at this point, so I can sleep and eat tomorrow:

Inclube benchpress: worked up to 70kgx10, 80kg 3x6. These felt comfortable - easier on a proper incline bench - but my blood sugar is crashed: HR is mildly elevated and I’m shaking and really feeling like ****. Normally my body is more resilient but one of the medications I’m on lowers blood sugar (shuttles glucose to kidneys) as a side effect and I think I’m feeling more depleted as a result.

Took a 20min break, consumed another 75mg carbs (dextrose).

Cable rope tri push down 30 3x8

Cable bar push down 40 3x10

Preacher curl 30kg + ezibar 3x6

Shoulder opening shoulder level concentration cable curl (step forward and turn head away during eccentric phase - this one is from my physio) 2nd plate for 3x6 each side.

This sesh sucked. I’m full, yet depleted. Need a magnesium salt bath and a couple days rest.
That sounds like a rough one! Way to try to rally.

Dextrose in the gut is going to barely move once training is in full effect, sympathetic mode. You can get things recovered fastest consuming it intra, but it’s not going to really sustain you well when sugar levels are already tanked.

If you can get some glucose tabs over there, those are great to keep in your car or gym bag. You can get them at any pharmacy or supermarket here near diabetic supplies or vitamin sections. 6 of those little guys makes 24g carbs, and you can just keep them in your pocket and pop em as you go along if needed. You will feel them almost immediately.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 21st Jan Rest Day

Food yesterday: 3535cal 224p 390c 116f

BW 110.2 this morning - 1kg lighter than Wed. Weight lost is likely water loss from glycogen depletion. Too much cheese and full cream milk in my diet, need to cut out fat to add room for more carbs.

Had an epic rest day today - lots of TV, several naps and two magnesium salt baths. Looking forward to waking up tomorrow!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That sounds like a rough one! Way to try to rally.

Dextrose in the gut is going to barely move once training is in full effect, sympathetic mode. You can get things recovered fastest consuming it intra, but it’s not going to really sustain you well when sugar levels are already tanked.

If you can get some glucose tabs over there, those are great to keep in your car or gym bag. You can get them at any pharmacy or supermarket here near diabetic supplies or vitamin sections. 6 of those little guys makes 24g carbs, and you can just keep them in your pocket and pop em as you go along if needed. You will feel them almost immediately.
Dextrose is glucose. Glucose tabs are just dextrose in tab form.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dude you are right. I always thought there was a structural difference between glucose and dextrose but just fact checked myself and this is not so. Thanks for this comment - knowledge gains are real.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 22nd Jan: Rest Day

Food yesterday: 3452cal 199p 500c 60f
Food average for last week: 3370cal 210p 370c 109f

Skins: 18mm ab 9mm thigh 8mm chest

BW back up to where it has been for last 2 weeks, body feels full and rested. Diet adjustments to come this week to allow greater carb consumption by reducing fat consumption at around the 3350cal mark. Will be interesting to see effect on skin folds.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dude you are right. I always thought there was a structural difference between glucose and dextrose but just fact checked myself and this is not so. Thanks for this comment - knowledge gains are real.
Thanks, I didn’t know that. I will say there is a noticeable difference in the feel of using tabs over drinking dextrose as a primary carb source. Maybe that in and of itself is why I feel that way - just drinking large amounts of dextrose doesn’t move well at all for me, so it would be more of a portion issue in this scenario already. Just jams the gut up after a point, at least I have heard of this with many other lifters as well.

I layer some tabs in when needed on top of other carb sources like HBCD, Karbolyn, and/or Rice Krispies treats. I can’t digest enough dextrose powder in a meaningful timeframe while lifting, but if I have things that do digest faster as a foundation the tabs make a big difference.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks, I didn’t know that. I will say there is a noticeable difference in the feel of using tabs over drinking dextrose as a primary carb source. Maybe that in and of itself is why I feel that way - just drinking large amounts of dextrose doesn’t move well at all for me, so it would be more of a portion issue in this scenario already. Just jams the gut up after a point, at least I have heard of this with many other lifters as well.

I layer some tabs in when needed on top of other carb sources like HBCD, Karbolyn, and/or Rice Krispies treats. I can’t digest enough dextrose powder in a meaningful timeframe while lifting, but if I have things that do digest faster as a foundation the tabs make a big difference.
Most of the research on this stuff is in endurance athletes, but generally 60g per hour is recommended for glucose/dextrose due to absorption issues. Using multiple sources tends to allow for greater absorption if one wants to go above that though (although most of that research isn't really with all the "fancy" stuff sold from what I have seen). So it would make sense it could sit heavy if you only used one source.