Back From the Brink of Death - BennyMagoo's Log

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Four weeks ago today my wife dragged me into hospital. Barely able to breathe, I thought I was suffering from asthma or residual systemic inflammation after a bout of both COVID and Influenza A 3 weeks earlier. In reality, I was suffering from acute cardiomyopathy and having what emergency doctors define as a heart attack - arythmic heart function, elevated troponin (the protein secreted by the cardiac muscle as it begins to literally disintegrate) and severely reduced ejection fraction (blood in blood out ratio, mine was at 15%). The symptoms I believed were asthmatic were actually my lungs filling with fluid due to back pressure from the failing diaphragm pump that was my heart. There was no pain, just tightness and inability to breathe. I was even quite calm about it - at one point during the preceding night I thought I was having some kind of anxiety attack and spent the small hours of the morning sitting on the couch and literally meditating to try and make it pass. Opiates and benzos were administered to reduce my body's oxygen demand with IV diuretics to shed the fluid that was building up in my lungs and beginning to drown me. Within 24hrs I was feeling a lot more comfortable, and within 48hrs I could sleep lying down again. My bodyweight dropped from 113.5kg to 106.5kg in three days. My wife also lost a lot of weight.

Once stabilised, I was scanned, grammed and MRI'd, that is to say I had a CCT scan (CT scan of the heart), an angiogram (basically a CCTV inspection of arteries and heart), and n MRI (layered x-ray of the heart to generate a 3D model) to try and establish the cause of my condition. In my mind it was obvious: I'd felt poorly ever since being sick (and I was horribly sick) but I had to work 70hr weeks up north to get a job over the line and put my health to the side. I was taking prescription amphetamines (ADD drugs) and a shitload of caffeine to get through the days and knew I was burning the candle at both ends. I wasn't surprised I couldn't breathe three weeks later, just put it down to poor recovery and asthma/inflammation from overdoing it at work. My hospital doctors refused to draw any conclusions regarding the cause of my heart failure. I had fully disclosed my history of PEDs use and was told several times this had probably damaged my heart and also my endocrine system - I think they did not believe my dosage disclosure until my endocrine bloodwork came back after several days and test was high but in range, estrogens balanced, normal prolactin levels and body even still producing LH and FSH albeit at reduced levels. I wasn't shut down, my lipids were healthy, and the endocrinologist even told me based on 'natty' bloodwork from 2020 I was likely healthier for having the exogenous test in my system. He encouraged me to go cold turkey and booked me in for bloodwork and an appointment 3 weeks later (turns out, 3 weeks later my body is already producing just enough test to keep my level high enough to disqualify me from TRT).

I was prescribed basically every drug that might assist in recovery of my heart by the hospital cardiology team - I think with no solid hypothesis to the pathology of my heart failure their lowest risk option was to simply throw the kitchen sink at it. My last 5 days in hospital were basically spent trying to adapt to up-titrating dosages of reasonably toxic drugs. I was taking seven in total: two diuretics, one statin (for no good reason), one cholesterol (again, for no good reason) one diabetic drug (to shuttle glucose and sodium from blood) and two heart drugs (designed to slow the heart and assist in signaling for cardiac remodeling). Ended up back in hospital for one night two days after release severely dehydrated (I was still under fluid restriction: 1.5L/day) and suffering from the drug toxicity. The ER doctor was shocked at my prescriptions and referred me to an outpatient cardiologist who scrapped three of the drugs, and did not hide his bafflement at my original protocol.

I have been exercising since day three. In the beginning I was barely able to do one lap of the ward, twice a day. A week later I was clocking up 2km twice a day in laps. I bought a fitbit sense to keep an eye on my heartrate and have followed doctors' advice by keeping my heartrate below 100 at first, then 120 after two weeks and now 130 four weeks later. I train four times per week now, and the other day gently jogged 5.5km to keep HR between 120 and 130 for 45min. Yesterday I returned to the gym and, after 30min cardio (10min bike, 10min row & 10min treadmill jog) I did some deadlifts (3x8 with 100kg), chin ups (5x6) and cable flyes. It felt wonderful, and this morning I am blissfully sore.

Tomorrow I am getting a follow up echocardiogram to measure ejection fraction. My outpatient cardiologist is quite confident the heart failure is a result of my recent bouts with covid & influenza. He said its unlikely I wont recover at all, and possible I'll recover 100%. I really hope to see significant improvement tomorrow.

My business partner decided to abandon the business following my demise, but I've spent my recovery time strengthening relationships with my clients, quoting and winning jobs, hiring additional staff and remodeling my QA system. Ironically, we were about to turn a corner when this happened, and so my business partner's departure benefits me as I feel we are about to stat turning a decent profit. With my father's help, I have formulated a detailed business plan which I have used to secure additional funding. Suddenly motivated by necessity, and with a new perspective, I can now see a clear path to upscaling and have the contracts in place to facilitate it. This whole ordeal has changed me fundamentally - I no longer fear business failure. Maybe its the lack of stimulants, or maybe somewhere deep inside I've managed to come to terms with the visceral mortality of this experience, but either way I feel free from worrying about failing my business. I could sell my house tomorrow and squander the equity on a 12month trip around Australia if it all goes pear-shaped, and that doesn't seem like a bad thing at all.

Going forward I will be logging my physical recovery journey here. I need to keep track of my weight, and also be careful with how I train and what I eat, and I know from experience that logging is the only way I can remain disciplined in these circumstances. If my heart does not fully recover then the only way to offset it is by reducing demand upon it. I will be slowly adding more resistance training to my regime, however my main focus will remain on aerobic fitness. Presently my resting heartrate sits at around 60-62BPM. Eventually I'd like to get it down to 55. My bodyweight is 106.5kg this morning. I want to see it drop to 95kg. I will be eating lean meat, more fish, more chicken, lots of vegies of all types, and lots of fruit. Going to start tracking macros and use my fitbit as a guide to establish my maintenance.

Today I rest. Tomorrow will be Day 1.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Four weeks ago today my wife dragged me into hospital. Barely able to breathe, I thought I was suffering from asthma or residual systemic inflammation after a bout of both COVID and Influenza A 3 weeks earlier. In reality, I was suffering from acute cardiomyopathy and having what emergency doctors define as a heart attack - arythmic heart function, elevated troponin (the protein secreted by the cardiac muscle as it begins to literally disintegrate) and severely reduced ejection fraction (blood in blood out ratio, mine was at 15%). The symptoms I believed were asthmatic were actually my lungs filling with fluid due to back pressure from the failing diaphragm pump that was my heart. There was no pain, just tightness and inability to breathe. I was even quite calm about it - at one point during the preceding night I thought I was having some kind of anxiety attack and spent the small hours of the morning sitting on the couch and literally meditating to try and make it pass. Opiates and benzos were administered to reduce my body's oxygen demand with IV diuretics to shed the fluid that was building up in my lungs and beginning to drown me. Within 24hrs I was feeling a lot more comfortable, and within 48hrs I could sleep lying down again. My bodyweight dropped from 113.5kg to 106.5kg in three days.
Wow, I'm glad she dragged you in, man.
I'm praying for your recovery.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow, crazy story man. Glad to see you made it through though and are on the other side of all that. Wishing you the best of luck in health and business!

he-man

he-man

Awards
  • Established
Wow, sounds like you’re a very luck man…was anything spotted on the CT/angio regarding your arteries?

I ask as I just had open heart surgery 10wks ago for Myocardial bridge - artery that goes into the heart and back out somewhere else!

Your initial symptoms sound like what I had 🤨

Good luck with the recovery

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow, sounds like you’re a very luck man…was anything spotted on the CT/angio regarding your arteries?

I ask as I just had open heart surgery 10wks ago for Myocardial bridge - artery that goes into the heart and back out somewhere else!

Your initial symptoms sound like what I had 🤨

Good luck with the recovery
Mate, that’s a massive operation, how are you feeling 10 weeks later?

No, angiogram was very positive - no sign of plaque anywhere. CT picked up a bunch of small pulmonary clots but apparently that is not unusual after being sick.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad to hear you made it out the other side and are on the path back upward (in health & business)!

My 72 year old father got the jab, and then only a month later got COVID for the first time - we went into heart failure maybe a month after seemingly recovering fine from COVID. Ejection fraction rate maybe 20% even on a ton of meds (he has a ton of comorbidities like obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, poor glucose management, elderly). It looked pretty bad for a while; he could not cross the room to pick up his telephone for a time.

Fast forward the majority of a year and he is going strong again, no longer in heart failure, ejection fraction like 65% or something, on less meds. Even getting significantly fatter (going from something like 105 to 125kg).

So if he’s any indication, you certainly stand to restore a ton of heart function with an actually healthy approach. God willing, I expect you to far exceed him!

he-man

he-man

Awards
  • Established
Mate, that’s a massive operation, how are you feeling 10 weeks later?

No, angiogram was very positive - no sign of plaque anywhere. CT picked up a bunch of small pulmonary clots but apparently that is not unusual after being sick.
Glad to hear your angio was positive
No heart related issue is nice, so any good news is a bonus!

I’m doing alright thank. Just trying to up my walking at present, can start lifting next month not sure how training will look. Got some timber on the midriff to shift

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you are an articulate mofo and that was quite the journey you posted, I'm excited to watch your recovery and rebuilding. Glad you are doing better too!! what a roller coaster experience that must have been for you.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 9th September

Well…not a great start to my resolution to log more! The past two weeks have been a blur of work and sickness. I over-did things in the first week and wound up on the couch for three days this week. It’s easy to get chest infections when the heart is not working well!

Some good news: my EF is up to 32%, which is good progress. Doc has increased the dosage for two of the drugs which had me feeling under the weather for two or three days but, as before, my body has adapted.

I’ve been doing cardio 3-4x week keeping my HR below 130 as per doctors orders. I’ve been able to progress from [email protected]/hr to 15min@7km/hr jogging, and I’m rowing for 15min at 2.15/500m without getting much over 120. The stair master remains a challenging beast to master at low heart rate.

Bodyweight is up to 108.5kg. My doc is unconcerned as I’m not exhibiting any ischemic signs, and that was actually my bodyweight before everything went pear shaped. Skin folds have not changed.

I’ve been terrible at keeping track of my food intake. I find it difficult to eat too much - it seems far more uncomfortable now and it reminds me of how I felt when I first had to go to hospital. I avoid large meals, and eat a lot of fruit. I’ve been pan frying snapper and whiting fillets regularly but still enjoying a scotch fillet once or twice a week. I feel like before I cut I need to get my metabolism running well first.

Today was the first time I have felt good at the gym. My Fitbit sense told me I was at 99% readiness for exercise - I haven’t trained since Monday thanks to this chest infection - and I think it was accurate. Sesh:
10min x-trainer at level 8
15min treadmill 7km/hr
Bench press: 60kgx10, 100kgx5, 100kgx10, 100kgx15
Posterior delt fly 12.5kg 3x8
Cable pec fly 4 plates low position 3x10
Cable pec fly 4 plates high position 3x8
Wide grip pull up 3x5
BB row, wide grip, 60kgx8, 60kgx15 80kgx8, 80kgx15
15min treadmill 7km/hr

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
All sounds like good progress!

If you aren’t using it, talk to your doctor about adding in pine bark extract and Coq10. I’ve heard Dante Trudel say he saw a big improvement in his ejection fraction on it, and the study they did giving heart failure patients (stable for at least 3 months and many taking 3+ drugs for heart failure still) 100mg pine bark and 350mg coq10 with breakfast saw significantly larger improvements in heart function over the 12 weeks than placebo.

These are daily staples for myself for a couple years now. The proanthocyanadin content alone is valuable to me from pine bark, and the mitochondrial support of coq10.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
All sounds like good progress!

If you aren’t using it, talk to your doctor about adding in pine bark extract and Coq10. I’ve heard Dante Trudel say he saw a big improvement in his ejection fraction on it, and the study they did giving heart failure patients (stable for at least 3 months and many taking 3+ drugs for heart failure still) 100mg pine bark and 350mg coq10 with breakfast saw significantly larger improvements in heart function over the 12 weeks than placebo.

These are daily staples for myself for a couple years now. The proanthocyanadin content alone is valuable to me from pine bark, and the mitochondrial support of coq10.
I’ll go pick some up right now!!!

Thanks for the tip - I’d forgotten about coQ10 and had no idea about pine bark!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ll go pick some up right now!!!

Thanks for the tip - I’d forgotten about coQ10 and had no idea about pine bark!
Try to get ubiquinol, the active form of coq10, if you can. It will be pricier, but the enzyme needed to activate coq10 diminishes with age, and over age 40 it’s recommended to spring for the active ubiquinol.

Pycnogenol is a patented strain of pine bark, but cheaper pine bark still has all the benefits at a bit higher doses - and it’s much cheaper to take even double the dose of pine bark extract than specifically Pycnogenol, so I don’t use Pycnogenol anymore.

Whatever you can get/afford, it will be a positive!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 11th September

A minute to reflect on the events of this day 22 years ago and to remember the victims.

BW 109kg

Had a great sesh today: felt strong.
Treadmill 20min at 7km/h - felt my HR settle with a second wind today, something I haven’t noticed since heart began to fail. Was able to keep HR at 124-126 for the duration after second wind at around 6min.
Vertical row machine (the one you pull down) 10 min 106-110bpm
Spri tees lunge 3x20
BW sissy squat 3x5
BW pull up full ROM 3x5
Posterior delt row 12.5kg 3x10
HS plate u ilateral row 60kg ea side Full stretch to full contraction with pause 3x10 ea side
Lying leg raises 15,12,10 - horrific ab cramps!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thursday 14th September

Tuesday I had a great run: 5.8km in 48min around my suburb. It’s a loop I’ve been doing once or twice a week since getting out of hospital and Tuesday was the first time I’ve jogged the whole circuit. All the jogging is having a positive effect on my damaged right leg: there is a lot less bleeding and passive pain and my foot is starting to look like a foot again! I think the Vibram shoes have a lot to with that also.

Today I joined my local Anytime Fitness. I’ve hired a local lad as my apprentice and since he is yet to get his license I’ve started picking him up every morning. This, along with the fact that my best cardiac recovery time is between 2am and 5am has convinced me to sign up to the small local 24hr gym. The 20min drive to my regular gym at 3am is a 45min drive at 3pm, and at that time of day I don’t want to be driving away from home anyway. I really enjoyed my session:
10min jog 7km/h @120-130BPM
10min row 2:15/500m @110-120BPM
Jefferson Curls 2x20kg plates for 5,8,12
BW hypers 3x10
Lat pull down ‘45’ 3x8
Strict BB OHP 40kgx5, 50kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5
Bench press 60kgx5, 100kgx5, 100kgx10
Posterior delt raise 12.5kg 3x10

I feel like most of my strength remains despite my obvious decline in testosterone levels. I’ve definitely lost a lot of definition and mass in places that count but it is nice being able to do things like rotate my head fully without having to twist my shoulders lol. Bodyweight remains steady but I think I’ve actually gained muscle in my right leg: it seems to be catching up with my left leg at last! Both legs are definitely holding more glycogen in response to the jogging.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 16th September

BW

Gym sesh:

Spent some time working on hip mobility

Deadlift 60kgx10, 80kgx10, 100kgx10, 140kgx5 HR peaked at 114

Behind the neck OHP 20kgx15, 30kg 3x5 super slow

Cable rope tri push down drop set 25:15:10 for 10:10:10 x 3 sets

Reverse Zottman db curl 15kgx10, 20kgx6. 22.5kgx5

Bar tri push down drop set 30:17.5:12.5 for 10:10:10

Feeling good.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Four weeks ago today my wife dragged me into hospital. Barely able to breathe, I thought I was suffering from asthma or residual systemic inflammation after a bout of both COVID and Influenza A 3 weeks earlier. In reality, I was suffering from acute cardiomyopathy and having what emergency doctors define as a heart attack - arythmic heart function, elevated troponin (the protein secreted by the cardiac muscle as it begins to literally disintegrate) and severely reduced ejection fraction (blood in blood out ratio, mine was at 15%). The symptoms I believed were asthmatic were actually my lungs filling with fluid due to back pressure from the failing diaphragm pump that was my heart. There was no pain, just tightness and inability to breathe. I was even quite calm about it - at one point during the preceding night I thought I was having some kind of anxiety attack and spent the small hours of the morning sitting on the couch and literally meditating to try and make it pass. Opiates and benzos were administered to reduce my body's oxygen demand with IV diuretics to shed the fluid that was building up in my lungs and beginning to drown me. Within 24hrs I was feeling a lot more comfortable, and within 48hrs I could sleep lying down again. My bodyweight dropped from 113.5kg to 106.5kg in three days. My wife also lost a lot of weight.

Once stabilised, I was scanned, grammed and MRI'd, that is to say I had a CCT scan (CT scan of the heart), an angiogram (basically a CCTV inspection of arteries and heart), and n MRI (layered x-ray of the heart to generate a 3D model) to try and establish the cause of my condition. In my mind it was obvious: I'd felt poorly ever since being sick (and I was horribly sick) but I had to work 70hr weeks up north to get a job over the line and put my health to the side. I was taking prescription amphetamines (ADD drugs) and a shitload of caffeine to get through the days and knew I was burning the candle at both ends. I wasn't surprised I couldn't breathe three weeks later, just put it down to poor recovery and asthma/inflammation from overdoing it at work. My hospital doctors refused to draw any conclusions regarding the cause of my heart failure. I had fully disclosed my history of PEDs use and was told several times this had probably damaged my heart and also my endocrine system - I think they did not believe my dosage disclosure until my endocrine bloodwork came back after several days and test was high but in range, estrogens balanced, normal prolactin levels and body even still producing LH and FSH albeit at reduced levels. I wasn't shut down, my lipids were healthy, and the endocrinologist even told me based on 'natty' bloodwork from 2020 I was likely healthier for having the exogenous test in my system. He encouraged me to go cold turkey and booked me in for bloodwork and an appointment 3 weeks later (turns out, 3 weeks later my body is already producing just enough test to keep my level high enough to disqualify me from TRT).

I was prescribed basically every drug that might assist in recovery of my heart by the hospital cardiology team - I think with no solid hypothesis to the pathology of my heart failure their lowest risk option was to simply throw the kitchen sink at it. My last 5 days in hospital were basically spent trying to adapt to up-titrating dosages of reasonably toxic drugs. I was taking seven in total: two diuretics, one statin (for no good reason), one cholesterol (again, for no good reason) one diabetic drug (to shuttle glucose and sodium from blood) and two heart drugs (designed to slow the heart and assist in signaling for cardiac remodeling). Ended up back in hospital for one night two days after release severely dehydrated (I was still under fluid restriction: 1.5L/day) and suffering from the drug toxicity. The ER doctor was shocked at my prescriptions and referred me to an outpatient cardiologist who scrapped three of the drugs, and did not hide his bafflement at my original protocol.

I have been exercising since day three. In the beginning I was barely able to do one lap of the ward, twice a day. A week later I was clocking up 2km twice a day in laps. I bought a fitbit sense to keep an eye on my heartrate and have followed doctors' advice by keeping my heartrate below 100 at first, then 120 after two weeks and now 130 four weeks later. I train four times per week now, and the other day gently jogged 5.5km to keep HR between 120 and 130 for 45min. Yesterday I returned to the gym and, after 30min cardio (10min bike, 10min row & 10min treadmill jog) I did some deadlifts (3x8 with 100kg), chin ups (5x6) and cable flyes. It felt wonderful, and this morning I am blissfully sore.

Tomorrow I am getting a follow up echocardiogram to measure ejection fraction. My outpatient cardiologist is quite confident the heart failure is a result of my recent bouts with covid & influenza. He said its unlikely I wont recover at all, and possible I'll recover 100%. I really hope to see significant improvement tomorrow.

My business partner decided to abandon the business following my demise, but I've spent my recovery time strengthening relationships with my clients, quoting and winning jobs, hiring additional staff and remodeling my QA system. Ironically, we were about to turn a corner when this happened, and so my business partner's departure benefits me as I feel we are about to stat turning a decent profit. With my father's help, I have formulated a detailed business plan which I have used to secure additional funding. Suddenly motivated by necessity, and with a new perspective, I can now see a clear path to upscaling and have the contracts in place to facilitate it. This whole ordeal has changed me fundamentally - I no longer fear business failure. Maybe its the lack of stimulants, or maybe somewhere deep inside I've managed to come to terms with the visceral mortality of this experience, but either way I feel free from worrying about failing my business. I could sell my house tomorrow and squander the equity on a 12month trip around Australia if it all goes pear-shaped, and that doesn't seem like a bad thing at all.

Going forward I will be logging my physical recovery journey here. I need to keep track of my weight, and also be careful with how I train and what I eat, and I know from experience that logging is the only way I can remain disciplined in these circumstances. If my heart does not fully recover then the only way to offset it is by reducing demand upon it. I will be slowly adding more resistance training to my regime, however my main focus will remain on aerobic fitness. Presently my resting heartrate sits at around 60-62BPM. Eventually I'd like to get it down to 55. My bodyweight is 106.5kg this morning. I want to see it drop to 95kg. I will be eating lean meat, more fish, more chicken, lots of vegies of all types, and lots of fruit. Going to start tracking macros and use my fitbit as a guide to establish my maintenance.

Today I rest. Tomorrow will be Day 1.
Dang Bennie, haven’t been reading logs since my return, and glad I picked this one as the first to start reading (still a lot to go)!!! I so regret hearing what you endured!

My man, you’ve been through the wringer, for sure, but god damn, what a fucking constructive reaction. I’m heartened by your mettle and ambition!

And damn my brother, if things don’t manifest as you intend — and I fully believe they will — you could always resort to writing, cuz man, you can tell a compelling exposition with all the flourishes!

Thinking of you my guy! Godspeed!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 17th September

Random arvo sesh at the new gym while my wife and kids decided to stay with my niece and her family for dinner:

2.8km jog to gym
Shoulder mobility/stability work 15min
Db OHP 15kgx6, 15kgx15, 20kgx10, 25kg 3x6
Hammer strength unilateral plate rows (happy to have access to a true HS machine again!) 70kg ea side for 3x10
Pull up 3x6
Side lateral delt raise 10kg 3x6

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dang Bennie, haven’t been reading logs since my return, and glad I picked this one as the first to start reading (still a lot to go)!!! I so regret hearing what you endured!

My man, you’ve been through the wringer, for sure, but god damn, what a fucking constructive reaction. I’m heartened by your mettle and ambition!

And damn my brother, if things don’t manifest as you intend — and I fully believe they will — you could always resort to writing, cuz man, you can tell a compelling exposition with all the flourishes!

Thinking of you my guy! Godspeed!
Thanks Jinxie !

Honestly, my inability to rationalise the whole experience is how I’ve kept so calm about it. I still find myself wanting to test the hypothesis that I have heart failure at all.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wed 20th September

Had a great gym session this afternoon:
Bench press: 60kgx5, 100kgx5 120kgx5, 100kgx15
In between bench sets I did reverse Zottman curls, super slow, with 15kg for 3x6. These felt so right in between bench sets.
Rear delt fly 12.5kg 5x8
High to low cable pec fly 4th plate 3x8
Cable lat pull down ‘45’ for 3x10

30min on treadmill at 6.7km/hr. HR only cracked 120 at the 27min mark. It felt so natural and relaxing and I even took two business calls.

I’ve been practising staying calm ever since returning to work. It sounds weird, but I used to think of my work as war against the laws of physics. Similarly I held the view that lifting weights is a never ending battle against gravity. Getting sick has shifted my focus, and I’ve consciously practised being calm even when things are not working out and today at work it suddenly occurred to me I’m not at war any more - and I felt a sudden and immense sense of relief. I really enjoyed the day after that, and tomorrow when I wake up I hope I can reflect and recapture that revelation.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thursday 21st Sep (yeaterday)

Early morning workout:
20min jog 6.7km/h
30sec hang x3 from adjustable pull up rig
Hanging leg raise 3x15
Plank 1min x3
Side plank 20sec ea side x3
Side twisty things from deep lunge position with 3kg db 3x8 ea side

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 22nd sep

BW 109kg this morning. My readiness score is 78 which is awesome considering my training volume so far this week. My HR variability has - over the last 6 weeks - shifted from poor to high average which has to be a good sign.

My sleep over the last week has massively improved. I am getting more that 90min of REM sleep consistently and deep sleep has more than doubled. Not sure if this is due to increasing training volume or the introduction of ZMA.

5am sesh
Hip mobility stuff.
Lying leg raise with pause at the bottom (heels just off the ground) 3x12
Side plank 3x30sec ea side
Jefferson curl 25kg 3x8
Barbell squat 60kgx10, 60kgx15, 80kgx5, 100kgx5, 120kgx5, all reps with bottom pause. These felt soooooo good.

10min treadmill jog 6.7km/hr HR 125-130 (post squat fatigue?)

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looks good. Have lost much muscle?
I think I probably have lost 5-7kg of muscle. I’m ‘lean’ now at 107kg but I am bloated from heart failure. I feel like my chest and back are becoming floppy but legs are developing new muscle around ankles and knees thanks to all the jogging.

I’ve been in consultation with an endocrinologist and had hormone blood work week before last. Test levels are low but FSH and LH are recovering and they don’t want to prescribe test for a heart failure patient. I’ve little interest in sex (I still pretend though, for the sake of my wife), but can still perform and enjoy it.

I have to say, when I started taking test it was like my life went from black and white to full colour. Coming off test feels precisely the opposite. The only benefit is how easy it is to cultivate calm affect.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You may in time become candidate for test again, but I would take recovering my absolute health first as you are doing. One day at a time! Sounds like you are enjoying the gym and on the upswing.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You may in time become candidate for test again, but I would take recovering my absolute health first as you are doing. One day at a time! Sounds like you are enjoying the gym and on the upswing.
Yeah I’m definitely having that chat with my cardiologist if the day comes I am fully recovered! Would love to resume cruise!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 23rd Sep (yesterday as I type this)

10min @ 6.5km/h treadmill 110-120bpm
20min bike @LeveL 8 for 110-120bpm
Hip mobility work
Side plank 30sec x3 ea side (lots of neurological adaptation happening here)
Lying keg
Deadlift: 60kgx5, 80kgx5, 110kgx5, 160kgx5, 180kgx3
Behind the neck OHP BB press: 20kgx5, 30kgx5, 40kg 3x6
Unilateral Plate row: 60kgx10, 70kgx10, 80kgx8, 90kgx6 ea side
Lat pull down: ‘45’ for 3x10

Was rather cooked after this and spent the rest of the day in considerable discomfort. Was ravenous all day, yet struggled to eat against feeling bloated and swollen. I think I may have overdone it.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 25th September

Here’s a couple of morning selfies under kind lighting and with my belly sucked in.

Skins were 22mm ab, 10mm chest and 12mm thigh. BW 108.5kg this morning. I haven’t been eating excessively and it’s been clean food, however I was expecting an increase in body fat associated with androgen decline. It’s not as bad as I thought it might be, but my mum mentioned it on Sunday hehe. I think a lot of the increase in belly roundness is fluid retention especially at that time of the day (right before medication). I think this will improve as my heart function does.
Great sesh this afternoon:
Bench press: 60kgx5. 100kgx5, 120kg 3x5.
Wide grip pull up 3x8
Seated incline db press 20kg for 5,8,12
Cable fly low to high 3 plates 3x10
Cable fly high to low 4 plates 3x6
Db preacher curl 30kg plus easy bar for 8,6,6,5
30min treadmill, 6.5km/hr for 5min, 8km/hr for 5min the 7km/hr for 15min and 6.5km/hr for 5min. Was working to keep HR at or just below 130z

Attachments

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not too shabby man; your attention to diet is the key thing that’s keeping things from getting out of control. You have 0 enhancement to lean on. Your high level of muscle mass is probably just breaking even with less than ideal hormones, so as long as you keep the diet clean & tight you you’ll maintain or even improve condition.

Under 240lbs, doing sets of 8 on pull-ups, repping sets of 265 bench, conditioning and heart function continually building - keep doing what you’re doing! Lots of quality muscle there still.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 30th September

Missed a couple of workout logs this week. Truthfully, I’ve enjoyed not thinking while working out. Tuesday and Wednesday were taken as rest days, and Thursday found me at 99% readiness according to my Fitbit! I’m impressed with how closely that metric appears to correlate with good performance, because when I hit my old gym at 1pm (the glamorous one close to my office) I felt amazing. I ran for 30min with pace ranging between 8-9.5km/hr to keep my heart rate in the 120s, then followed up with lunges, squats (worked to120kg 3x5), pendulum press (80kg3x20) and then finished with calf raises on the jack squat machine.

Thursday’s session took my readiness score back into the 60s on Friday and I struggled through a light upper pull session followed by 20min jog at 7km/hr.

Interestingly (for me anyway) my HRV (heart rate variability) got up to 76ms on Thursday morning, but now it’s all the way down at 54 today. And I feel trashed.

Saturday morning finds me in the tub after little sleep (kids are at mum and dads this weekend so wife and I enjoyed the possibility of noisy sex a couple of times last night!). I’ll be working through my hip mobility routine after half an hour of sweating out last night’s Italian and that will it for today. I’m hoping to catch up with an old friend tomorrow morning for a run around one of the local reservoirs. There is only one decent hill and it’s not too gnarly - I know I can at least hike it and keep my HR below 130 as long as I am feeling recovered.

BW 107.5 after my bath, skins: 20mm ab 6mm chest 10mm thigh. I’ve fasted 14-16hrs every day since Tuesday and eaten 2400-2800cals, focusing on protein with lots of fruit and a little rice. I think I might need to eat a little more food this week - wasn’t expecting to shed a kilo and it probably explains the low readiness and HRV scores.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nothing wrong with dropping a kilo in a week, but you should absolutely expect some recovery impact at that pace of loss. Still probably worth it, but it is a consideration.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 1st October

Completed the reservoir run (scramble?) this morning, 5.8km in 54min. Not very quick, but happy with the pace which kept my HR under 130 almost the whole way (maxed at 132).

My running partner bailed at the last minute and so I embarked with some trepidation. Didn’t find my second wind until about 20min in - I was nervous and tight - but thoroughly enjoyed the scramble after that, taking the gentle undulation and rough trail in my stride. I felt light and comfortable, and was even able to pulse up some of the small steeper hills and recover down the other side. I saw koalas, lizards and lots of happy birds this run, it was a beautiful morning to be in the bush!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
First off, celebrate the positives man! You're on the way up. Great job on the run this AM, just getting that type of activity done after what you've been through is an accomplishment. Don't downplay it!

I have to say, when I started taking test it was like my life went from black and white to full colour. Coming off test feels precisely the opposite. The only benefit is how easy it is to cultivate calm affect.
This struck me. I've been slowly thinking about broaching this with a doc. It might not be necessary just yet, but that was just a really vivid way of describing your experience!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 8th October

Missed my workout logs this week, here they are:
Thursday:
DB incline press 20kgx5, 20kgx10, 25kgx5, 25kgx8
Posterior delt DB fly 12.5kg 5x8
Side lateral db raise 10kg 5x8
BW pull up 5x6
20min treadmill 6.5km/hr HR 110-115
10min bike level 8 HR 115-120

Friday:
Deadlift 80kgx10,120kgx5, 160kgx5 (belt), 180kgx5, 190kgx3
BW pull up 3x5
HS plate row unilateral 60kgx10, 80kg 3x8, 90kg 2x8. This is really the best back machine I’ve used.
Lat pull down ‘65’ 5x10
Rev Zottman curl 15kg super slow 3x10
Seated db curl 15kg 3x8
Behind the back barbell forearm curl 40kg 3x15

Saturday:
Bench press 60kgx10, 60kgx20, 100kgx10, 100kgx15
Side lateral raise 10kg 3x8
Rear delt raise 10kg 3x10
Triceps cable rope push down drop sets
Overhead rope tri extension
40min @7km/hr treadmill HR 110-120 until last 5min the up to 124
20mm elliptical machine level 8 HR 120-130

Bush walk today, taking things easy to rest up for my Echo tomorrow.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tuesday 26th December

Merry Xmas folks.

Back at it last week after a couple months of just doing cardio, light db stuff and pull ups. This is my second week of programmed training.

Bodyweight 105-107kg (still require diuretics 2days a week to combat ischemia), skins 12mm ab 6mm chest 8mm thigh. Diet has been very tight - I’ve found there are many things I cannot eat much of - with lots of lean red meat, fruit and fish.

At my local 24hr gym to complete D1W2:
Hip focused warm ups (hips are tight from squats last week)
Lat pull down - worked up to ‘45’ (just enough weight to balance my bodyweight thus requiring momentum to get into the seat) for 5x6
Bench press: worked up to 100kg paused & slow for 3x5, then 110kg paused and slow 2x5.
BW pull up wide grip 3x8
Bench assisted rear delt flyes, slow and limited ROM (to maximise TUT)7.5kg for 12,12,10,10,9
High to low cable chest flyes 3rd plate, slow & focused, 3x12
Low to high cable chest flyes power squeeze into pause and slow eccentric 4th plate 3x8

Feels good to be training with goals again. Just 1 week in and I can feel water moving back into the right places and my posture improving. Age creeps up in the absence of forced adaptation.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Doing some good training sir.

Let us know how the echo goes!
Hey mate,

Echo didn’t yield results I was hoping for. Had to dial back for couple months and focus on cardio to get my EF back into mid 40s. Back on track now though, just a matter of trial and error to find appropriate exercise balance!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey mate,

Echo didn’t yield results I was hoping for. Had to dial back for couple months and focus on cardio to get my EF back into mid 40s. Back on track now though, just a matter of trial and error to find appropriate exercise balance!
Well I’m glad you listened to your body and did what needed to be done to get things back on track heading in the right direction.