The Ultimate Guide to Creatine

Creatine is a substance that naturally occurs in muscle cells, helping to produce energy during high-intensity exercise or heavy lifting. Chemically, it's a combination of three amino acids: glycine, arginine, and methionine. The body synthesizes creatine primarily in the liver and kidneys, and it's also obtained through dietary sources, particularly meat and fish.

In the context of bodybuilding and athletics, creatine is highly popular as a dietary supplement. Its popularity stems from its proven benefits in increasing muscle mass, improving strength, and enhancing overall exercise performance. Creatine increases the body's ability to produce energy rapidly, which is crucial during workouts involving quick and intense bursts of activity. This energy boost can lead to enhanced strength, reduced fatigue, and better muscle endurance.

Additionally, creatine is one of the most extensively researched and scientifically supported supplements on the market. Numerous studies have consistently shown its safety and effectiveness, contributing to its widespread use among both professional athletes and recreational exercisers aiming to improve their physical performance and body composition.

The Comprehensive Benefits of Creatine in Enhancing Physical and Cognitive Performance

Creatine, a naturally occurring substance in the human body, is pivotal for energy production in muscle and brain cells. Often supplemented by athletes and bodybuilders, creatine is lauded for its significant impact on muscle mass, strength, and overall athletic performance. Beyond its physical benefits, recent research also points to creatine's positive effects on cognitive function, making it a versatile supplement for both mental and physical health.

Enhanced Muscle Mass
Creatine's primary appeal in the bodybuilding community stems from its ability to increase muscle mass. It enhances protein synthesis, which is the process that leads to muscle growth. By increasing the water content within muscle cells—a phenomenon known as cell volumization—creatine makes muscles appear larger and facilitates further protein synthesis and muscle fiber growth.

Extensive research supports creatine's effectiveness in muscle building. Studies have consistently shown that individuals supplementing with creatine experience significant gains in muscle mass compared to those who do not. This is particularly evident when creatine supplementation is combined with resistance training, highlighting its role as an essential supplement for those looking to increase muscle size and volume.

Increased Strength and Performance
Creatine is renowned for its ability to boost high-intensity exercise performance. This is achieved through its role in the rapid regeneration of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy molecule that fuels muscle contractions. With more ATP available, athletes can perform higher-intensity workouts for longer periods.

Scientific studies have documented the strength benefits associated with creatine. Athletes who supplement with creatine often see improvements in their lifting performance, sprint ability, and overall athletic prowess. These improvements are most noticeable during tasks that require bursts of quick and intense energy, such as sprinting and weightlifting.

Improved Energy Production
The role of creatine in energy production is crucial. It helps regenerate ATP, which is depleted during exercise. By increasing the body's ability to produce ATP quickly, creatine allows for prolonged high-intensity exercise, enhancing endurance and delaying fatigue. This is especially beneficial in sports that require repeated bursts of effort, such as soccer, basketball, and track cycling.

Faster Recovery
Another significant benefit of creatine is its ability to reduce muscle damage and inflammation post-exercise, leading to faster recovery. This aspect is particularly important for athletes who undergo rigorous training schedules, as quicker recovery can lead to increased frequency and intensity of training sessions. Research indicates that creatine reduces muscle cell damage and inflammation following exhaustive exercise, which not only accelerates recovery times but also reduces the risk of injury and chronic muscle soreness.

Cognitive Benefits
Creatine also offers cognitive benefits. It supports brain health and function by increasing the availability of ATP in brain cells, thereby enhancing their energy capacity and overall health. Studies have found that creatine supplementation can help improve memory and reduce mental fatigue, especially in situations requiring quick thinking or problem-solving. These cognitive benefits make creatine a valuable supplement for individuals seeking mental sharpness and improved concentration, alongside its physical health advantages.

Exploring the Mechanisms of Action of Creatine in Enhancing Physical Performance

Cellular Hydration
One of the key mechanisms through which creatine enhances muscle function is cellular hydration. When creatine is stored in the muscle, it brings water along with it into the muscle cells. This process, known as cell volumization, leads to an increase in the volume of the muscle cells.

Role in Cell Volumization: Creatine's ability to enhance cell volumization is crucial because it not only makes the muscle appear larger but also plays a critical role in protein synthesis and muscle growth. The swelling of the muscle cell acts as a signal that leads to various anabolic (muscle-building) processes.

Impact on Muscle Function: The enhanced hydration of muscle cells improves their overall function. Hydrated cells show better endurance, recover faster, and are less prone to injury. Moreover, cell volumization contributes to increased protein synthesis, which directly correlates with muscle growth and repair. This is particularly beneficial during intense training and recovery periods.

Energy Buffering
Creatine's role as an energy buffer is another fundamental aspect of its mechanism of action. This process is vital for maintaining high levels of energy during short bursts of intense exercise.

How Creatine Acts as an Energy Buffer: Creatine is stored in muscles in the form of phosphocreatine. During high-intensity physical activity, ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the primary energy carrier in cells, is rapidly depleted. Phosphocreatine donates a phosphate group to the exhausted ATP molecule, regenerating ATP and thereby replenishing the muscle’s energy supply almost instantaneously.

Implications for Performance and Fatigue: By buffering the levels of ATP during exercise, creatine allows athletes to maintain higher levels of energy for longer periods. This enhanced energy capacity reduces overall fatigue, enabling longer durations of high-intensity performance. Additionally, the rapid regeneration of ATP is crucial during activities that require sudden, explosive movements, such as sprinting or weightlifting, directly impacting an athlete's ability to perform at maximum intensity.

Optimal Usage, Dosage, and Safety of Creatine for Enhanced Performance

Recommended Dosage Guidelines

Loading Phase:
To quickly elevate the muscle stores of creatine, a loading phase is typically recommended. During this phase, an individual consumes a relatively high amount of creatine each day, typically around 20 grams, divided into 4 servings of 5 grams each, spread throughout the day. This phase usually lasts 5-7 days.

Maintenance Phase: After the loading phase, the maintenance phase follows with a lower daily intake to keep the creatine levels up. The recommended maintenance dose is generally 3-5 grams per day. This amount is sufficient to sustain the elevated creatine stores achieved during the loading phase.

Best Practices for Consumption

Timing of Intake:
The timing of creatine intake can influence its effectiveness, particularly when it comes to training adaptations. Consuming creatine immediately post-workout can be more beneficial due to the increased blood flow and muscle uptake triggered by exercise. This timing takes advantage of the body's heightened insulin sensitivity, which helps more creatine reach the muscle cells.

Combination with Other Supplements: Creatine can be combined with other supplements to enhance its effects. For example, when taken with carbohydrates or protein, which increase insulin levels, creatine uptake by muscle cells can be enhanced, leading to better retention and effectiveness. Supplements like whey protein are commonly stacked with creatine to support muscle growth and recovery.

Safety and Side Effects
Creatine is considered safe for most people when used as directed. However, it's essential to address some common concerns and myths regarding its usage:

Kidney Health: One of the most prevalent myths is that creatine harms the kidneys. Research indicates that creatine supplementation does not impair kidney function in healthy individuals. Regular monitoring is recommended for those with pre-existing kidney conditions.

Dehydration and Cramping: Another concern is that creatine causes dehydration and muscle cramping due to increased water retention in muscles. Studies have shown that creatine does not increase the risk of injury or cramping. In fact, it can potentially reduce cramp occurrence by improving the muscle's cell hydration status.

Scientific Safety Assessments
Extensive research supports the safety of long-term creatine use, with studies showing no adverse effects on healthy individuals. These assessments confirm that when taken at recommended doses, creatine is safe and does not lead to significant health risks.

Creatine is a powerhouse supplement with a range of benefits extending from enhanced muscle mass and increased strength to improved energy production and faster recovery. Its advantages also touch on cognitive enhancement, making it a comprehensive aid for those looking to boost both physical and mental performance. With its well-documented safety and efficacy, creatine continues to be a go-to choice for athletes, bodybuilders, and anyone looking to optimize their physical and mental health through supplementation.

Sources:

1. Branch, J. D. (2003). "Effect of creatine supplementation on body composition and performance: a meta-analysis." International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. This meta-analysis concluded that creatine supplementation effectively increases muscle mass and improves performance in high-intensity, short-duration exercises.
  2. Volek, J. S., Duncan, N. D., Mazzetti, S. A., Staron, R. S., Putukian, M., Gomez, A. L., Pearson, D. R., Fink, W. J., & Kraemer, W. J. (1999). "Performance and muscle fiber adaptations to creatine supplementation and heavy resistance training." Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. This study found that creatine supplementation during resistance training increased muscle fiber growth and enhanced strength.
  3. Tarnopolsky, M. A., & Parise, G. (1999). "Creatine monohydrate enhances strength and body composition in Duchenne muscular dystrophy." Neurology. In this clinical setting, creatine was shown to improve strength and increase fat-free mass in patients with muscular dystrophy, suggesting benefits for muscle health and strength.
  4. Kreider, R. B., Ferreira, M., Wilson, M., Grindstaff, P., Plisk, S., Reinardy, J., Cantler, E., & Almada, A. L. (1998). "Effects of creatine supplementation on body composition, strength, and sprint performance." Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. This study provided evidence that creatine not only improves strength but also enhances sprint performance and overall body composition.
  5. Rawson, E. S., & Volek, J. S. (2003). "Effects of creatine supplementation and resistance training on muscle strength and weightlifting performance." Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The results demonstrated significant increases in muscle strength and performance in weightlifting activities among those supplementing with creatine.
  6. Brose, A., Parise, G., & Tarnopolsky, M. A. (2003). "Creatine supplementation enhances isometric strength and body composition improvements following strength exercise training in older adults." Journal of Gerontology. This study highlights the benefits of creatine supplementation in enhancing strength and improving body composition in older adults following exercise training.

Last edited:

Comments

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Loading Phase: To quickly elevate the muscle stores of creatine, a loading phase is typically recommended. During this phase, an individual consumes a relatively high amount of creatine each day, typically around 20 grams, divided into 4 servings of 5 grams each, spread throughout the day. This phase usually lasts 5-7 days
loading phases have become such a controversial subject, I love to see this. I always felt I was a non responder under at least 10g.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
loading phases have become such a controversial subject, I love to see this. I always felt I was a non responder under at least 10g.
I am also from the school of “loading phase”. I remember getting my first 300mg tub and doing a loading phase and then buying a the kilo after learning my lesson. I was also a big fan of 5mg w 2 scoops of whey w juice or Gatorade immediately b4 and after a workout.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am also from the school of “loading phase”. I remember getting my first 300mg tub and doing a loading phase and then buying a the kilo after learning my lesson. I was also a big fan of 5mg w 2 scoops of whey w juice or Gatorade immediately b4 and after a workout.
remember celltech creatine with about 7 million grams of sugar included? 😂

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
“Gain 10 lbs in 1 week” said the 2 page ad in Muscle and Fitness. Can’t lie, it was spring of 99 and I tried it. Drank it post workout and went to Walmart. Had to piss when we got there and b4 we left. So much sugar!!!

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
remember celltech creatine with about 7 million grams of sugar included? 😂
Lol. That's because we were sold on the idea that creatine needed to be taken with sugar in order to be properly absorbed or something stupid. I remember loading it and drinking like 6 cups of orange juice with 5 grams of creatine in each drink throughout the day.

I hated loading creatine. I can handle some of the harshest toxic oral AAS but large amounts of creatine made my stomach churn. Now I've just been taking 3g of creatine HCl with no issue. I would consider going back to like 5g of mono but 10g+ just doesn't sit right in my stomach.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lol. That's because we were sold on the idea that creatine needed to be taken with sugar in order to be properly absorbed or something stupid. I remember loading it and drinking like 6 cups of orange juice with 5 grams of creatine in each drink throughout the day.

I hated loading creatine. I can handle some of the harshest toxic oral AAS but large amounts of creatine made my stomach churn. Now I've just been taking 3g of creatine HCl with no issue. I would consider going back to like 5g of mono but 10g+ just doesn't sit right in my stomach.
I agree. I’d be shatting plaid like a Scotsman!!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I always load up 20 for a few days and back off to 10. When i was in my 20's runnig short oral cycles i would always start creatine loading at the end of my cycle so i could hold on to the weight a little longer.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I always load up 20 for a few days and back off to 10. When i was in my 20's runnig short oral cycles i would always start creatine loading at the end of my cycle so i could hold on to the weight a little longer.
I think we all used to do that lol. Even though it's not actually beneficial, it was a good way to kind of trick the mind a bit into thinking you were keeping gains from the cycle.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think we all used to do that lol. Even though it's not actually beneficial, it was a good way to kind of trick the mind a bit into thinking you were keeping gains from the cycle.
I find it highly benificial and i 100% reccomend it to ppl still. Creatine is a fantastic supplement and the benifits increase with the dose (to a degree). Espically the effects on the brain. But loading 15-30g x5-7 days will top off creatine stores faster then 5g a day will

Last edited:

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I find it highly benificial and i 100% reccomend it to ppl still. Creatine is a fantastic supplement and the benifits increase with the dose (to a degree). Espically the effects on the brain. But loading 15-30g x5-7 days will top off creatine stores faster then 5g a day will
How much creatine you need to reap the benefits for the brain and how much is needed to reap the strength benefits I am unsure of and might even be person dependent. However, I was referring to loading creatine towards the end of the cycle to hold on to some additional weight. That is, in my opinion, just a mind trick and doesn't really provide any tangible benefit versus just staying on creatine year round. And if you stay on creatine and you're saturated, you shouldn't need to re-load again.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Regarding Loading:

I tell folks the benefits of loading can eventually be achieved given enough time and a roughly 5g/dose for most. Now if someone comes to me looking like a warm breeze would knock them over and they are going on a vacation in two weeks I would say load. Say someone is competing in PL in two weeks, then load. Need instant gratification? Then load. Is it needed? No, but leveraged in certain situations it has it's place.

Regarding the sugar/w creatine approach:

I do believe some of the initial studies used juice so to be fair the companies pushing "Transport Complexes" were somewhat going by the research. Same with the grape juice(dextrose based juice) approach. I used to like Optimums Pre-load Creatine Transport Complex. Was basically a cheaper Cell-tech alternative. Back when ON was NOT owned by glanbia.

Found it! First creatine I ever bought in 1998:
Man that label style brings back MEMORIES!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Regarding Loading:

I tell folks the benefits of loading can eventually be achieved given enough time and a roughly 5g/dose for most. Now if someone comes to me looking like a warm breeze would knock them over and they are going on a vacation in two weeks I would say load. Say someone is competing in PL in two weeks, then load. Need instant gratification? Then load. Is it needed? No, but leveraged in certain situations it has it's place.

I do believe some of the initial studies used juice so to be fair the companies pushing "Transport Complexes" were somewhat going by the research. Same with the grape juice(dextrose based juice) approach. I used to like Optimums Pre-load Creatine Transport Complex. Was basically a cheaper Cell-tech alternative. Back when ON was NOT owned by glanbia.

View attachment 241700 Man that label style brings back MEMORIES!
The reason i would creatine load post cycle is kinda part of what you mentioned above. That quick water weight would help keep my bodyweight and strength up, being able to keep training heavy a little longer and hold that body weight a little longer, then after the bloat drops off what i got left was what i would try to hold till the next cycle.

I really like creatine while cutting for the same reasons minus the bloat. You can stay kinda full and get a good pump when calories get low, extra force production when food is low is always a bonus too, there are ppl who look bloated on creatine but i always felt like when im lean the water goes to the muscles instead of under the skin.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The reason i would creatine load post cycle is kinda part of what you mentioned above. That quick water weight would help keep my bodyweight and strength up, being able to keep training heavy a little longer and hold that body weight a little longer, then after the bloat drops off what i got left was what i would try to hold till the next cycle.

I really like creatine while cutting for the same reasons minus the bloat. You can stay kinda full and get a good pump when calories get low, extra force production when food is low is always a bonus too, there are ppl who look bloated on creatine but i always felt like when im lean the water goes to the muscles instead of under the skin.
When you say that you load post cycle, are you also running creatine throughout your cycle and then re-loading it again? Or are you just starting creatine post cycle and loading it? If it's the first one, then wouldn't that indicate that you weren't running enough creatine to full saturation?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You cant load creatine if your already on it. Creatine would start in pct

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You cant load creatine if your already on it. Creatine would start in pct
OK that makes sense now. I used to do exactly what you did and loaded my creatine at the end of my cycles. Now I pretty much just take it year round.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Regarding Loading:

View attachment 241700 Man that label style brings back MEMORIES!
I remember in the mid 90’s when Bill Phillips was on top of the supplement game with EAS and they came out with Phosphagen HP. It was high in dextrose. That was my first creatine supplement.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I remember in the mid 90’s when Bill Phillips was on top of the supplement game with EAS and they came out with Phosphagen HP. It was high in dextrose. That was my first creatine supplement.
Yep I drank tons of Phosphagen HP back in the day. I actually have the Phosphagen now from Hi-Tech and it sucks. I used to use a lot of EAS stuff... Phosphagen... Myoplex... HMB... can't remember the last time I bought a product from them though.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep I drank tons of Phosphagen HP back in the day. I actually have the Phosphagen now from Hi-Tech and it sucks. I used to use a lot of EAS stuff... Phosphagen... Myoplex... HMB... can't remember the last time I bought a product from them though.
Phosphagen hp was like the gold standard at one point. I bought many, many, tubs over the years! Same as you tho, I honestly.
Can't remember the last time I bought something from that company

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Phosphagen hp was like the gold standard at one point. I bought many, many, tubs over the years! Same as you tho, I honestly.
Can't remember the last time I bought something from that company
Oh yeah... I bought tons of tubs of Phosphagen HP and many boxes of Myoplex. EAS made a lot of money off of me back then lol. It's kind of weird how the brand just fell off the face of the earth though.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh yeah... I bought tons of tubs of Phosphagen HP and many boxes of Myoplex. EAS made a lot of money off of me back then lol. It's kind of weird how the brand just fell off the face of the earth though.
Right, I loved the Myoplex. Felt it mixed better than the MetRX MRP’s. Variety of flavor too. Then I saw EAS protein at Walmart/Sams Club for a while and then it was gone

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah EAS was top of the game back in the day but once Bill Philips sold the company it went down hill.