Where Does Walking Play Into a Health and Fitness Program?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering, what role does walking around the block have in a fitness program? Can it be deemed essential, optional, or an inefficient use of time?

Background
:

Due to Coronavirus, my gyms have been shut down for months, and I am stuck in my apartment for months.

I have taken up more walking, maybe an hour a day.

I definitely have become re-acquainted with the pro's and the con's of it.

Perhaps the biggest pro is that it does not interfere with other forms of exercise. For example, a power lifter who is trying to get stronger, or a bodybuilder who wants to gain muscle would find interference at 10 hours of jogging a week; yet, for reasons I do not fully know, a power lifter or bodybuilder who did 20+ hours of walking a week could burn the same amount of calories, but not have the strength and muscle mass compromise.

Pro's:

- Burns calories, especially from fat
- Convenient and cheap, no equipment or gym required
- Very adaptable, can last ten minutes or ten hours
- Helps create slightly more endurance for stressors
- People generally feel more relaxed and comfortable
- Small leg muscles, like calves, get a good workout
- Get to see around your living space, to give a "connected" feeling to the environment
- Deeper sleep, especially if done at night

Con's:

- Burns calories slower than almost every other form of exercise
- Can get boring, especially when done on a treadmill, or the same walking area is done
- Creates slightly increased cardio vascular capacity, but not as much as many other forms of cardio
- Takes lots of time out of the day; many people simply do not have 2 hours a day to set aside for walking, under regular circumstances
- Legs can get chafed

Any Actual Research Articles to Say the Place of Walking in a Fitness Program?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
LISS.
Low impact steady state is important in mine always. It compliments my HIIT on my bike.

Variety for sure.
It’s therapeutic. Not just mentally but for my stabilizers due to my back injury.

I’ve since therapy always had a place for it. My dog likes the walk too.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering, what role does walking around the block have in a fitness program? Can it be deemed essential, optional, or an inefficient use of time?

Background
:

Due to Coronavirus, my gyms have been shut down for months, and I am stuck in my apartment for months.

I have taken up more walking, maybe an hour a day.

I definitely have become re-acquainted with the pro's and the con's of it.

Perhaps the biggest pro is that it does not interfere with other forms of exercise. For example, a power lifter who is trying to get stronger, or a bodybuilder who wants to gain muscle would find interference at 10 hours of jogging a week; yet, for reasons I do not fully know, a power lifter or bodybuilder who did 20+ hours of walking a week could burn the same amount of calories, but not have the strength and muscle mass compromise.

Pro's:

- Burns calories, especially from fat
- Convenient and cheap, no equipment or gym required
- Very adaptable, can last ten minutes or ten hours
- Helps create slightly more endurance for stressors
- People generally feel more relaxed and comfortable
- Small leg muscles, like calves, get a good workout
- Get to see around your living space, to give a "connected" feeling to the environment
- Deeper sleep, especially if done at night

Con's:

- Burns calories slower than almost every other form of exercise
- Can get boring, especially when done on a treadmill, or the same walking area is done
- Creates slightly increased cardio vascular capacity, but not as much as many other forms of cardio
- Takes lots of time out of the day; many people simply do not have 2 hours a day to set aside for walking, under regular circumstances
- Legs can get chafed

Any Actual Research Articles to Say the Place of Walking in a Fitness Program?
Sorry, I am not gonna answer all of this myself. Here is some fun reading that can help you formulate your own stance. *Note: you can only walk so much before the fatigue will negatively impact your other training that is not walking so its not free movement.

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Citation/2019/10000/One_Week_of_Step_Reduction_Lowers_Myofibrillar.18.aspx

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2019/05/calories-count-but-steps-count-too-from.html

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/11/high-energy-flux-new-determinant-of.html

https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6388&context=etd