Swanson52 Hypertrophy and Health

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

60 min LISS/MICT session this morning, prob get another 30-45 min this afternoon/evening. I try to get 5-6 miles a day, and that means 2 treadmill sessions on my days off. I walk about 4 miles at work.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever ran inj l-carnitine before?
No sir, this will be my first run. Sean (who used to post here) gave me the info on it, and he’s having great luck.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have Kikel’s Carnitine ebook. If you want some more advanced discussion on dosing details, PM me. It’s pretty versatile.
Thanks man! I hit you up.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/5/21

Seated barbell curls 70x13/5/3
Hammer curls 35x12
Standing calf raises 180x3x10
Lying leg curl 110x10/6/3
Heel elevated SSB 1-1/2 squats 195x9
Loaded stretching

Tempo, tempo, tempo.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

60 min MICT

10 rounds Husafell stone carries
5 rounds yoke carries
5 prowler rounds

I’ll hit another 30-45 min MICT this afternoon.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What weights are you loading those implements to?
Oh ****, not much at all. The Husafell weighs 150, and I put 4x45’s on the yoke.

Im not nearly as strong as I used to be. Just using enough to keep my HR up and get a sweat going

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ate 4200 calories yesterday and somehow woke up 2# lighter.

Converging chest press 180x12/6/3
DB shoulder press 45x16x6/3
Smith JM press 125x8/6/2
One arm lat pull down 130x16/6/3
Meadows row 65x15/6/4

I’m happy about the DB shoulder press, bumped up 5 reps from last time. My shoulder pressing just hasn’t come back since rotator cuff surgery. I focus on lighter weights and slow ass tempo. Pain free though.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Missed a few days. Night shift just fuckin wrecked me.

Incline DB press 70x12/6/4
DB Y raise 25x13/5/2
Cross body tricep ext 50x10x5/3
This included a 10 second iso hold on the failure rep, at whatever the failure point was
Dante rows 110x12/7/3
T-bar row 85x13, drop set 50x15

I’ll hit 60 min MICT later on today.

I did do this yesterday, though;

IMG_4481.JPG

My last bf test was in June, and I was 290@25%, 210# fat free mass. So in 7 months, I dropped 30 pounds of fat and added 1 pound ffm. I really didn’t hit diet until august, and I was 285 then. I’m hoping to get to 240 this next diet phase starting 2/7. We’ll see.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Crazy to think you’re in the same place still, lean foundation-wise, after dropping 30lbs. That’s basically as good as it gets, keeping everything solid with zero loss.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crazy to think you’re in the same place still, lean foundation-wise, after dropping 30lbs. That’s basically as good as it gets, keeping everything solid with zero loss.
I did bump my test from 200 to 300mg/week, but that’s pretty much it. Tons (TONS) of protein. I’ve been eating 325+ grams a day.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did bump my test from 200 to 300mg/week, but that’s pretty much it. Tons (TONS) of protein. I’ve been eating 325+ grams a day.
That would be a definite success even if you had quadrupled your drugs!

Just goes to show what diet and activity (G flux, as Dante would say) truly dictate.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That would be a definite success even if you had quadrupled your drugs!

Just goes to show what diet and activity (G flux, as Dante would say) truly dictate.
****, I was unintentionally doing “G flux”! Lol I just googled it, and it’s exactly what I’ve been doing. Increasing my TDEE so I can eat more while either maintaining or losing weight. It works awesome for me, and I’ve actually stopped hating cardio.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
****, I was unintentionally doing “G flux”! Lol I just googled it, and it’s exactly what I’ve been doing. Increasing my TDEE so I can eat more while either maintaining or losing weight. It works awesome for me, and I’ve actually stopped hating cardio.
That’s because Paul is a Doggcrapp disciple. Not all of his hypertrophy methods, but that’s how he learned to build his foundation. And it’s a very proven set of principles; the more you can make yourself eat and turn over protein, the more muscular and fit you’re going to be at a given bodyweight.

A guy eating 4,000 calories at X weight is going to be leaner & more muscular than himself eating 3,000 to maintain a given weight.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That’s because Paul is a Doggcrapp disciple. Not all of his hypertrophy methods, but that’s how he learned to build his foundation. And it’s a very proven set of principles; the more you can make yourself eat and turn over protein, the more muscular and fit you’re going to be at a given bodyweight.

A guy eating 4,000 calories at X weight is going to be leaner & more muscular than himself eating 3,000 to maintain a given weight.
Honestly we don’t discuss diet in Yoke Squad AT ALL. Paul blows people up for it. I just read Alan Aragon’s book and noticed I could eat more as I brought my TDEE up (revolutionary, right?). But yes, I’m seeing exactly what you’re talking about. In every other diet or maintenance phase I’ve ever been in, I eat stupid low calories. Im excited to be able to eat 3800 without gaining 2 pounds a week.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Nothing amazing today, 60 min treadmill MICT this morning, I’ll get another 45-60 min this afternoon.

Super exited though; my gym bought a bad ass hack squat, really the only thing they didn’t have. Yoke Squad programs hacks about every meso, so I’ll be using that mofo.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My goals for this year...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kinda fell off in here, just been stupid busy picking up shifts at work. This week is my last at the power plant: I’m moving to a role that’s 6-2, M-F. I’m done with rotating days/nights and 10 on 4 off. Too old for that ****.

So, here’s the plan starting 1/30. Yoke Squad begins a new 12 week meso, starting with a 4 week neural phase, into an 8 week hypertrophy block. Perfect.

I’m going to start a cut on 1/30, 12 weeks, hoping to get to 240. Right now that’s 1.5 pounds a week.

Doing 450 test, 300 mast, 100 deca (for joints), with 60 Anavar/day. Including injectable L-Carnitine @ 200mg, 5X/week. Also 12 weeks.

Here we go.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Way to steal my cycle and throw some Anavar in, bro

But for real, I have had zero complaints with it. Doesn’t feel like too much or side-heavy at all.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Way to steal my cycle and throw some Anavar in, bro

But for real, I have had zero complaints with it. Doesn’t feel like too much or side-heavy at all.
This is my first mast run, but I think it should be manageable. The only thing I’ve ever gotten sides from, really, is dbol. I’m also a “minimum effective dose” guy, where at one point I was “there’s no trophy for highest total on lowest dose” guy. I’m getting soft in my old age.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is my first mast run, but I think it should be manageable. The only thing I’ve ever gotten sides from, really, is dbol. I’m also a “minimum effective dose” guy, where at one point I was “there’s no trophy for highest total on lowest dose” guy. I’m getting soft in my old age.
Sensible isn't soft.

It's rational to find the balance between risk and reward.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sensible isn't soft.

It's rational to find the balance between risk and reward.
For myself, I have found that the amount of juice I can utilize is limited by my own fragility - you can crank the boost up on supercharger or spray more nitrous, but if you are breaking parts you not only don’t get there faster, you never even get down the track.

The right amount is the best compromise of risk/benefit for the individual, no doubt!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The injectable L-Carnitine is a double edged sword. Gives me that endurance boost to go balls out at the gym, but recovery…oof. I’m still sore from legs Monday, plus from upper yesterday. I love it

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looking good man. That’s totally an @Hyde cycle lol. Don’t mess with success though!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking good man. That’s totally an @Hyde cycle lol. Don’t mess with success though!
My boy convinced me to try the mast. I’ve used var in the past.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wrapped up the 8 week DC meso today. I’ll be better about logging this next 10 weeks. Cycle logs are more fun that fat old dude logs.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok! New programming/diet phase/cycle starts TODAY!

266. I ate like an absolute gluttonous asshole all weekend. I’m talking 2 days of 6000 calories.

So this starts with a light deload/detrain/neural phase. Everything today was RPE 6-7.

SSB Squat 185x5x5
Incline DB press 70x2x5
Barbell row 135x2x5

Knocked this out then hit 1.5 miles/30 min on the treadmill.

I figured out how to get the most out of the injectable L-Carnitine as well, so that made today fun.

IMG_4621.JPG

Time to lean this guy up.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looking jacked af mate!

Nice work! Seriously motivating me to try and hit 325g protein every day!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking jacked af mate!

Nice work! Seriously motivating me to try and hit 325g protein every day!
Thanks, sir!

Ya, man, some days it’s a chore. Might be days with 2 protein shakes in there.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Trap bar DL-glute bias 225x3x3
BW Pull ups BWx2x3
Fixed barbell curls 70x8

Again RPE 7 work, trying to be explosive.

Added 30 min LISS at the end.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
263.6. The test bloat might be coming off.

60 min MICT this morning, I’ll prob do another 45-60 tonight. I’m at the office all week this week, so I’m getting no movement at all.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SSB @60% 185x5x5
DB SLDL 60x2x6
DB Bench 70x2x6

Still low RPE stuff, it’ll be that way for 3 more weeks.

I’m having some right shoulder pain, so I hit my nephew up at the gym this morning as he’s a licensed massage therapist. He did a little evaluation and some quick work, and it appears my lats are super tight, and I’ve got some tightness in my pec limiting mobility and causing pain. Going to see him for a session Sunday.

Who would’ve thought a 46 year old, ex-powerlifter would have tightness?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking good here! Subbed.