poseiden, how much taurine?; dehydration?

jreeder

Awards
I've been interested in trying Poseidon, and be sure there wasn't anything bad in it I gave one of our trainers a list of everything in it. Here's what she said:

"From what I can find I don't think there is necessarily anything bad in this supplement. Do you know the actual name of the supplement itself? The thing you need to be careful about and realize is that some of these vitamins are provided in great access of the normal daily intake of these vitamins. So, in turn, the majority of what you are taking in will be excreted in urine. With the Poseidon Complex the thing that concerns me is the Taurine. It's a common ingredient in energy drinks like red bull which contain huge amounts of caffeine. I am not sure how the community college conferences set their limits but the NCAA regards caffeine above 12mg/L as positive for the use of stimulants. This concerns me since Taurine is commonly used with these substances that it could possible illicit a positive drug test. I sent an email to our head athletic trainer at UTC asking him if he knew anything more about it. If he does I'll get back to you with that info! The big concern with substances like this is dehydration because your body uses so much of its water stores to process and excrete the extra vitamins. In doing so they often inhibit thirst so you don't feel like you're dehydrated. So, if you start taking this make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water! "

I'm not really concerned with the taurine since I play for a JUCO, who don't test that I know of, though I would be interested in how much there was per serving. My real question is about your body using more water to process the vitamins. Will I need to drink more water if I take this? I would estimate I drink about 40oz of water day.

Appreciate any help.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good questions J. All the ingredients in Poseidon are perfectly safe to take, I would consider it to be a uber sports vitamine if you ask me. With that being said, the amount of water you drink should be increased regardless of the what sporting activity your doing. I would suggest you up your water intake to at least eight 8oz glass per day. The purpose of Poseidon is to increase intracellular hydration which is impossible to do if the body doesn't have enough water at it's dissposal. In order to see the full benefits of the product definitly up that water a little bit. It will NOT cause dehydration as it does not have a diuretic effect.

jreeder

Awards
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. So what is she saying about your body using more water to process the extra vitamins?

Also, do you happen to know how much taurine there is per serving? I'm just curious.

I'll definetly try to up the water intake. Thanks.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The taurine is part of the matrix blend and I'm not quit sure of the ratio, however it is not enough to illicit any concern, in fact it's the second most abundant Amino Acid found in muscles. Higher doses of upwards of 5 to 8 grams are taken often to decrease cramping common to exercise. Poseidon uses much less then these amounts I can assure you, and with the blend of vitamins and minerals it makes for perfect synergism in regards to hydration. It seems like the trainer was referring to the fact that taurine is often stacked with high amounts of caffiene as per the energy drinks, so they got the idea that this might be included in the product. It's not, there are no stimulants what so ever in Poseidon and it is perfectly fine to take with any college organization testing. The more water context was probably just referring to the soluablity of the vitamins. All the vitamins in Poseidon are water soluble thus you have to drink the mix with some extra water to ensure proper solubility and digestion of the ingredients.

Hope this helps.

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
If your trainer told you that supplemental Taurine can cause you to test positive for excess caffeine then I would consider finding a new trainer :think:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your trainer told you that supplemental Taurine can cause you to test positive for excess caffeine then I would consider finding a new trainer :think:
Seems she was taking in to context the amount of caffiene that is often seen with stacks of energy drinks that includes taurine. Maybe thinking it was hidden in the product profile.... it is not. No caffeine what so ever.

The Graduate

Awards
I was thinking the same. Caffeine and taurine are two different compounds!

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Just stumbling on this thread...It looks like all your questions have been addressed and I agree with the responses....made my job easy! ;)

Thanks for your interest in Poseidon and please let us know how it works for you. I think you will be very pleased! :thumbsup:

Workin

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that trainer is not up to snuff on either her vitamin or supplement knowledge. Taurine has ZERO in common with stimulants and her statement;

"...vitamins are provided in great access of the normal daily intake of these vitamins. So, in turn, the majority of what you are taking in will be excreted in urine"

It's "excess" first off, and just because it ends up in the urine doesn't mean it was never put to use. I'd rather have some fortified urine than deny my body what it needs to perform athletically. Also, relying on the FDA's RDA's for vitamins and minerals is like letting a retarded kid design your diet for you. NOT a good idea. lol

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I agree with you bio. RDA's are usually a good guess at best.

jreeder

Awards
Appreciate the help so far, and I've got another question.

became interested in Poseidon to use as a recovery tool for pitching. There's a lot of wear and tear on the shoulder and elbow with pitching and I thought if this product could help flush toxins out and get more blood flowing, it might help with recovery. So my question is, if I started to take this, on the day I pitch, would I want to NOT take it, then ice after pitching, then take Poseidon after I ice?

Would ya'll think this would be benificial? Also, please let me know if I'm misguided on how Poseidon works.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's a log from another fellow baseball player who used Poseidon during spring training.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nimbus-nutrition/61413-spring-trainning-poseidon.html

Your right in that it will defenitly help with recovery and endurance, and I think it would be ideal to take on the day's that you pitch for this very reason. My advice to you would be to take Poseidon on the days that you pitch, and play around with the dosages a little bit for your icing sessions, perhaps tying 2sc post pitching.

jreeder

Awards
Well my thought was that I'm icing to reduce blood flow, and taking Poseidon to increase blood flow, so wouldn't I want to wait till after I'm done icing to take Poseidon?

Thanks for the log, I'll check it out.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well, icing isn't as much about reducing blood flow as it is reducing inflammation in a site specific manner. The cold temps reduce the amount of various inflammatory substances your body creates at the site of an injury.

So all in all, I see no conflict between icing and use of Poseidon.

As to RDA's the EPA has admitted that their recommnedations usually have a 10-fold safety margin built in. I'm betting the FDA isn't too disimilar. In other words, the FDA says 400 micrograms is the max you should take for folic acid, but we know from the primary literature that you can take as much as you want and not hurt yourself..unless you have a rare, genetic lack of folatase. Excess vitamins are seldom a problem...inadequate vitamin levels however are a chronic problem in much of the world.

shuffleup

Awards
Yeah, I agree with you bio. RDA's are usually a good guess at best.
Yeah sometimes a bad guess even. I mean, we don't eat near the RDA/RDI for protein when we're looking to add muscles. The RDA for protein is like 60 grams/day. Hell I whack that much down before most people have had their first jelly donut.

And like everything else they are probably not basing that figure on ACTIVE people to begin with.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I just got my poseiden in today.

Will poseiden cause water retention and bloat? Because by nature it is designed to hydrate cells.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will poseiden cause water retention and bloat? Because by nature it is designed to hydrate cells.
No it won't, the nature of the product is INTRA-cellular hydration. None of the extra-cellular bloat you get with things like creatine mono.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well my thought was that I'm icing to reduce blood flow, and taking Poseidon to increase blood flow, so wouldn't I want to wait till after I'm done icing to take Poseidon?
As bioman said the anti-inflammation aspect of icing will not be hindered in any way and taking Poseidon will not interfear with the process. The increased blood flow is primarily thru peripheral artery dilation in the skin, no hinderance to ligaments.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
imo incarnate would be a good thing for a pitcher to take along with poseidon. only a week in and my forearm is already feeling better. pulled it doing bench presses not pitching, but pain is pain.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
imo incarnate would be a good thing for a pitcher to take along with poseidon. only a week in and my forearm is already feeling better. pulled it doing bench presses not pitching, but pain is pain.
I agree, Incarnate looks like an excellent product!

Workin

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good call on that one bigt.