Patellar Tendon Pain

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've had some pain right below both knee caps where it meets the top of the shin bone. The right knee is far worse though. It's not that bad, but when I kneel down or squat, it feels like a rubber band being stretched too far. Is this patellar tendinitis? Any thoughts as to what to do? I've had it 12 weeks now and haven't don't any lower body work that whole time basically and it's no better. Thanks in advance.

JordanTwitch

Awards
I recently tore my patellar tendon. And the pain your describing is nothing like what mine is. When it happened at first, I was on crutches for about a week and a half. Then when I could walk again, it would only hurt badly when I put pressure on it. Now maybe 2 months later I'm still not doing heaving lower body work, but it only hurts when i put too much strain on it (be it from running, twisting, or lifting something heavy). Have you had this diagnosed by a doctor?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I recently tore my patellar tendon. And the pain your describing is nothing like what mine is. When it happened at first, I was on crutches for about a week and a half. Then when I could walk again, it would only hurt badly when I put pressure on it. Now maybe 2 months later I'm still not doing heaving lower body work, but it only hurts when i put too much strain on it (be it from running, twisting, or lifting something heavy). Have you had this diagnosed by a doctor?
Nah, not diagnosed. It's far better now than it was than when it first started. I've only been squatting and dead lifting 135, and concentrating on breaking at the hips first, working much more on hamstring development and the adductor machine. And more stretching. That all seems to have helped. But I can still feel like a rubber band snap in my knee on almost every step I take. Something still isn't right.

JordanTwitch

Awards
Nah, not diagnosed. It's far better now than it was than when it first started. I've only been squatting and dead lifting 135, and concentrating on breaking at the hips first, working much more on hamstring development and the adductor machine. And more stretching. That all seems to have helped. But I can still feel like a rubber band snap in my knee on almost every step I take. Something still isn't right.
I'd still get that checked out. You could be like me one day and not even able to squat 135 without discomfort. And you said you're concentrating on breaking at the hips first, what's your reasoning behind that?

BIGPAPA335

BIGPAPA335

Awards
I've had some pain right below both knee caps where it meets the top of the shin bone. The right knee is far worse though. It's not that bad, but when I kneel down or squat, it feels like a rubber band being stretched too far. Is this patellar tendinitis? Any thoughts as to what to do? I've had it 12 weeks now and haven't don't any lower body work that whole time basically and it's no better. Thanks in advance.
I've been feeling the same thing. Im an otr truck driver (over the road) and sit for extended periods of time. I recently switched rigs and im currently sitting in a rig built for a midget or a small child and now both my knees are sore at the front after driving. I can run, jump and walk just fine, but if i try to sit, sqaut or bend my knees under pressure then its a pain level of 8 out of 10. I also have been experiencing pain while sitting for 400 miles and used to be able to drive 740 no problem. Any update would be greatly appreciated

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been feeling the same thing. Im an otr truck driver (over the road) and sit for extended periods of time. I recently switched rigs and im currently sitting in a rig built for a midget or a small child and now both my knees are sore at the front after driving. I can run, jump and walk just fine, but if i try to sit, sqaut or bend my knees under pressure then its a pain level of 8 out of 10. I also have been experiencing pain while sitting for 400 miles and used to be able to drive 740 no problem. Any update would be greatly appreciated
It's been so long, I don't remember what fixed this issue, but I would guess the things I described in post #3.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like the knee and tendon(s) are not seated right. I suggest a common rehab exercise which would be a ball squat. With the ball against the wall, squat down and hold for 10 seconds and then come up and "rest" for 10 seconds. Do these a few sets of 3-5 minutes and work up to one set for 15 minutes. Play with foot position depth and width. I find putting my feet below me (instead of "further out" hack squat "depth" stance) works best. Focus on finding that comfortable squat position while sitting in the bottom.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have a tear in my patella tendon, it has been yrs ago since I hurt it and still acting up. Longer car rides hurts the most.

My Dr told me it can’t (shouldn’t) get worse unless I injury it again and as long as I can withstand the pain I can workout. So that’s what I did, I kept training and the longer I ignored the pain the better it felt. It’s actually not as bad as a few yrs ago and as long as I stay away from deep squats I can train my legs hard. Long car rides still hurts though.

What has helped the most is stretching and foam rolling, it’s a bunch of videos on YouTube on knee stretches, I recommend to research those. Good luck.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

^Some good advice & rehab movements from an actual doctor specializing in injury rehab, who also has a 2,000lb raw powerlifting total and come back from multiple knee injuries himself from motocross previously.

Valdosta

Valdosta

Awards
is there a lump just below the knee that's also sensitive to touch when the pain is there?

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have a tear in my patella tendon, it has been yrs ago since I hurt it and still acting up. Longer car rides hurts the most.

My Dr told me it can’t (shouldn’t) get worse unless I injury it again and as long as I can withstand the pain I can workout. So that’s what I did, I kept training and the longer I ignored the pain the better it felt. It’s actually not as bad as a few yrs ago and as long as I stay away from deep squats I can train my legs hard. Long car rides still hurts though.

What has helped the most is stretching and foam rolling, it’s a bunch of videos on YouTube on knee stretches, I recommend to research those. Good luck.
I found the pain cam come from adhesions in the quads - especially the outer quad. Some only get relieved from using a lacrosse ball and or a PVC pipe roller will get these damm things to release.

GatoLoiro

GatoLoiro

Awards
Have you considered getting some rigid kinestic tape and relocating your patella temporarily to see if you're able to relieve the pressure/inflammation? Could be helpful in a self-diagnosis. I suffer from patella femoral syndrome where my patella rides the lateral part of my femoral chondral basically causing 24/7 inflammation and pain response. Taping it has helped to alleviate symptoms.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Have you considered getting some rigid kinestic tape and relocating your patella temporarily to see if you're able to relieve the pressure/inflammation? Could be helpful in a self-diagnosis. I suffer from patella femoral syndrome where my patella rides the lateral part of my femoral chondral basically causing 24/7 inflammation and pain response. Taping it has helped to alleviate symptoms.
It’s been quite a few years since that post. All that has healed.