DaPack..Fighting Age One Day at a Time

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Woke up today feeling worse then yesterday and made a decision to pass on the meet. There is no way at this point I am going to be 100% by Friday and would only be doing the meet to do it. Also, I cannot see myself being 100% better on Friday and don't want to show up being sick and get others sick too. Was pretty pissed off and annoyed to start but came to grips that do to circumstances out of my control was going to pass on the meet. They are slow to post meets but there has been one last 2 years mid-April so that will be my next goal. There is one early February too so a couple options are on the table.
Dang man sorry to hear, you have been working your ass off preparing.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks everyone. Still getting over being sick and there would have been no way I could have lifted today. Will regroup and figure out my next move.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everyone. Still getting over being sick and there would have been no way I could have lifted today. Will regroup and figure out my next move.
Hope you feel better soon brother!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just keep on truckin', you've been on a tear the past year+.

One of these days when I head to Oregon for work we should get a lifting session in if I'm far enough south!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry to hear about the meet, hope you are starting to feel better.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
November 22nd, 2023 (Wednesday)

Squat, High Bar/ Narrow;
7 sets 3 reps 185lbs, 205lbs, 225lbs, 245lbs, 265lbs, 285lbs, 305lbs**Non wrap PR

OHP's;
1 set 5 reps 115lbs
1 set 3 reps 135lbs
1 set 2 reps 150lbs
3 sets 1 rep 165lbs, 180lbs, 195lbs

Bench;
4 sets 7 reps 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 225lbs, 240lbs

Deads, Conventional;
4 sets 2 reps 225lbs,
6 sets 1 rep 275lbs, 315lbs, 365lbs, 415lbs, 440lbs

Sumo;
1 set 4 reps 440lbs**Straps, PR

Still have a little congestion in the upper chest but def feeling a lot better. Today got more frustrated about missing the meet with the last set of sumo deads. Just getting over being sick and after a hard conventional ended up hitting a PR. Really think my deads were setting up for a huge day. Next week will be touch and go before I get back in the swing of things. Still figure have about 8 to 10lbs to lose but taking this week off and next of dieting.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on that PR!!!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
November 28th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 40 mins

Bench;
4 sets 7 reps 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 230lbs

CGBP;
4 sets 5 reps 145lbs, 165lbs, 185lbs, 205lbs

Flat Dbl Press;
3 sets 13 reps

Triceps Roll Back;
3 sets 13 reps

Push Downs;
3 sets 10 reps

Nice to finally get an actual workout out for bench, been almost 3 weeks. Going to run an 8 week block like before for bench at 7 reps adding a set a week until I get to 8. Seems like it worked really well before and see no reason to switch. Need more size to bring my bench up even more.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Have I mentioned how weird 7s are to me?
Any time I do a set of 10 for any lift I feel like 7 is the turning point where things go sour. If I'm squatting, it's usually rep 7 where I gotta grow some chest hair and choke the vomit down 😅 😅 if I can get through 8 then I know it's just a couple deep breathes and I'm done. but 7..... 7 is always the hard one.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
November 29th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Cardio; 35 mins

Squats, High Bar/ Narrow;
5 sets 5 reps 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 230lbs, 245lbs

Front Squats;
3 sets 7 reps 135lbs, 155lbs, 185lbs

Pendulum Machine Squats;
3 sets 13 reps

Biceps;
50 reps

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
November 30th, 2023 (Thursday)

Cardio; 35 mins

Deads, Conv;
5 sets 2 reps 225lbs, (DE)
4 sets 4 reps 275lbs, 315lbs, 340lbs, 365lbs

RDL's;
3 sets 9 reps

Leg Curls;
3 sets 13 reps

Incline Press;
4 sets 5 reps 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 225lbs

OHP's;
3 sets 9 reps 95lbs, 105lbs, 115lbs

Just slowly working back into it.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 4th, 2023 (Monday)

Cardio; 30 mins

Bench;
4 sets 7 reps 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 230lbs

CGBP;
4 sets 5 reps 155lbs, 175lbs, 190lbs, 205lbs

Flat Dbl Press;
4 sets 13 reps

Seated Triceps Extension;
4 sets 13 reps

Push Downs;
4 sets 10 reps

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 5th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 30 mins

Deads, Conv;
5 sets 2 reps 225lbs (DE)
4 sets 4 reps 275lbs, 300lbs, 325lbs, 350lbs

RDL's;
1 set 9 reps

Leg Curls;
3 sets 13 reps

Hurt my lower back last week going to low in high bar squats and had to pass on RDLs and rack pulls. Tomorrow if it is still hurting will switch to machines.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Give it time to recover!
Agreed, you don't have anything pressing going on right now. Give it a little time to heal before pushing it.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 6th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Squats, High Bar/ Narrow;
4 sets 5 reps 185lbs, 205lbs, 225lbs, 250lbs

Front Squats;
3 sets 7 reps 140lbs, 160lbs, 180lbs

Pendulum Machine Squats;
3 sets 13 reps

Incline Press;
4 sets 5 reps 185lbs, 195lbs, 200lbs, 205lbs

Seated Dbl Press;
3 sets 13 reps

Went really slow on high bar/ fronts and made sure I was really tight and just felt it a little in my lower back. When I got done with the pendulum squats is when it started hurting and felt it. Would have figured that would have been safer but most be the position of my lower back on the pad. Wanted to concentrate on conv deads but if back is still hurting next week will switch back to sumo and most like not do any machine for legs.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hurt my lower back last week going to low in high bar squats and had to pass on RDLs and rack pulls. Tomorrow if it is still hurting will switch to machines.
sorry to hear that man, are you still maintaining lower weight like you were during comp prep? I feel fortunate (knock on wood) that I haven't had anything serious lately but carrying an extra 20lbs with me I feel like I fend off injuries better than when I'm light.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
sorry to hear that man, are you still maintaining lower weight like you were during comp prep? I feel fortunate (knock on wood) that I haven't had anything serious lately but carrying an extra 20lbs with me I feel like I fend off injuries better than when I'm light.
Not even close. Feel apart after I had to cancel the meet and things have been pretty bad with my eating. Last week average was 206lbs and see a high of 210lbs since then. A week after the meet told my wife I was done with meets and probably lifting all together with the disappointment of having to pass on the meet. Put so much into getting ready for the meet and having to back out do to being sick put me in a bad spot. Needless to say over that pity party and trying to get back on track.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 11th, 2023 (Monday)

Average Weekly Weight: 206lbs

Bench;
5 sets 7 reps 185lbs, 195lbs, 210lbs, 225lbs, 240lbs

CGBP;
5 sets 5 reps 150lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 195lbs, 210lbs

Flat Dbl Press;
3 sets 13 reps

3 sets 13 reps

Push Downs;
3 sets 10 reps

Explained up above the huge weight gain, think about 18lbs in 4 weeks. Lower back is still hurting so going to pass on lifting tomorrow, deads. The gym I go to on Wednesday has 8 different type of leg press/ squat variations so hoping can find a machine or two to at least get legs in. There is a meet 11 weeks I am thinking of doing just to give me a goal to work for and have and end date. Will not be the best meet but gives me something to work for and get my diet in check.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not even close. Feel apart after I had to cancel the meet and things have been pretty bad with my eating. Last week average was 206lbs and see a high of 210lbs since then. A week after the meet told my wife I was done with meets and probably lifting all together with the disappointment of having to pass on the meet. Put so much into getting ready for the meet and having to back out do to being sick put me in a bad spot. Needless to say over that pity party and trying to get back on track.
lol that probably lasted about as long as it took you to realize you were upset about NOT getting to do one, so to never do one again would only seal your fate in disappointment.

I know you were pretty sick, but understand there is rarely the optimal training cycle for most people for most meets. Between tweaks/injuries, work & life factors, or adverse meet conditions, it is very rare to have everything go right leading up to and during the contest. So don’t feel like you shouldn’t go next time if it doesn’t go great leading up to it, only if you are just too sick or whatever like this last time. Because I can promise it won’t be 100% optimal.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Explained up above the huge weight gain, think about 18lbs in 4 weeks. Lower back is still hurting so going to pass on lifting tomorrow, deads. The gym I go to on Wednesday has 8 different type of leg press/ squat variations so hoping can find a machine or two to at least get legs in. There is a meet 11 weeks I am thinking of doing just to give me a goal to work for and have and end date. Will not be the best meet but gives me something to work for and get my diet in check
Kind of a perfect storm of events with being sick > thanksgiving > sore back. I don't think I saw anyone here on AM post less than a 5lb gain in the last 2 weeks 😅 I know i was briefly up 6 or 7 myself last week just taking care of the wife for a few days, I clocked in at 207 for the first time in about 12 years 😅

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Kind of a perfect storm of events with being sick > thanksgiving > sore back. I don't think I saw anyone here on AM post less than a 5lb gain in the last 2 weeks 😅 I know i was briefly up 6 or 7 myself last week just taking care of the wife for a few days, I clocked in at 207 for the first time in about 12 years 😅
Yep, even me, and I am on a strict meal plan. LOL

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
lol that probably lasted about as long as it took you to realize you were upset about NOT getting to do one, so to never do one again would only seal your fate in disappointment.

I know you were pretty sick, but understand there is rarely the optimal training cycle for most people for most meets. Between tweaks/injuries, work & life factors, or adverse meet conditions, it is very rare to have everything go right leading up to and during the contest. So don’t feel like you shouldn’t go next time if it doesn’t go great leading up to it, only if you are just too sick or whatever like this last time. Because I can promise it won’t be 100% optimal.
Very true. Just always feel ever meet should be an improvement of some sort but that def cannot be the case. Started meets just to give me something to focus on so I don't get to lazy and need to go back to the mentality and enjoy the work and doing meets again.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
True. Really enjoyed eating everything and anything for awhile just a few more weeks of holidays left and can get back on track 100%

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 13th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Incline Press;
5 sets 5 reps 185lbs, 195lbs, 205lbs, 215lbs, 225lbs

OHP's;
4 sets 9 reps 95lbs, 105lbs, 115lbs, 120lbs

Leg Press;
5 sets 9 reps

Hack Squats;
3 sets 9 reps

Lat Pull Downs;
4 sets 13 reps

Cardio; 30 mins

Lower back felt good using the leg press and hack squat so worst have an alternative if this last awhile.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to hear you were still able to put in some solid work!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hope the back continues to feel better.

The motivation will return, here to see you get back on track. 🙂

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
True. Really enjoyed eating everything and anything for awhile just a few more weeks of holidays left and can get back on track 100%
I prefer to be leaner than I am right now but at least when I am taking on some extra calories I figure the silver lining is that a lot of it will serve me well when I'm lifting (y)

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I prefer to be leaner than I am right now but at least when I am taking on some extra calories I figure the silver lining is that a lot of it will serve me well when I'm lifting (y)
For me have a certain bodyfat I want to be at. Want abs again but don't have to be super great. Also walking around +200lbs at my age/ height is not the best for overall health.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 18th, 2023 (Monday)

Bench;
6 sets 7 reps 170lbs, 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 230lbs, 245lbs

CGBP;
5 sets 5 reps 150lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs

Flat Dbl Press;
3 sets 13 reps

3 sets 13 reps

Push Downs;
4 sets 13 reps

Cardio; 30 mins

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 19th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 30 mins

Lat Pull Downs;
4 sets 13 reps

Seated Rows;
4 sets 13 reps

Assisted Pull Ups;
3 sets 7 reps

Chest Supported Rows;
3 sets 13 reps

Biceps;
100 reps

Lower back still bothering me a bit and figure once I can walk around and stand awhile without any pain not even going to attempt any deads/ squats.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
December 19th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 30 mins

Lat Pull Downs;
4 sets 13 reps

Seated Rows;
4 sets 13 reps

Assisted Pull Ups;
3 sets 7 reps

Chest Supported Rows;
3 sets 13 reps

Biceps;
100 reps

Lower back still bothering me a bit and figure once I can walk around and stand awhile without any pain not even going to attempt any deads/ squats.
Can you do pull-ups unassisted if you do them earlier in the workout?

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Can you do pull-ups unassisted if you do them earlier in the workout?
That I do not know. Most likely not since even machine assisted I struggled to do them. Might give it a try next week but will have to probably do palm facing each other if I am going to get any.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 20th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Leg Press;
4 sets 13 reps

Hack Squats;
4 sets 13 reps

Leg Extensions;
4 sets 11 reps

Incline Press;
5 sets 4 reps 170lbs, 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 230lbs

OHP's;
4 sets 9 reps 95lbs, 110lbs, 125lbs, 135lbs

Still going back and forth on the meet in Feb, 10 weeks out Saturday. Obviously with no deads/ squats right now those 2 will be pretty bad but my bench is doing pretty good so would just concentrate on that and try and get over 303.1 Only 30 total for the meet so would have to probably make a decision here sortly.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
December 20th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Leg Press;
4 sets 13 reps

Hack Squats;
4 sets 13 reps

Leg Extensions;
4 sets 11 reps

Incline Press;
5 sets 4 reps 170lbs, 185lbs, 200lbs, 215lbs, 230lbs

OHP's;
4 sets 9 reps 95lbs, 110lbs, 125lbs, 135lbs

Still going back and forth on the meet in Feb, 10 weeks out Saturday. Obviously with no deads/ squats right now those 2 will be pretty bad but my bench is doing pretty good so would just concentrate on that and try and get over 303.1 Only 30 total for the meet so would have to probably make a decision here sortly.
I hate rushing a prep.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I hate rushing a prep.
Agree 100%. Not going to go all out for it, specially deads/ squats and using it more as a motivator. If I test my bench in a couple weeks and cannot get at least 280 in comp will pass on the meet. Just using it as a motivator short term to give me something to focus on. April, 18 weeks, is the main meet and what matters.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 24th, 2023 (Sunday)

Pull Ups,
1 rep
Actually surprised I got 1 rep being 25 to 30lbs overweight

Lat Pull Downs;
5 sets 13 reps

Seated Rows;
4 sets 13 reps

Chest Supported Rows;
4 sets 13 reps

Cardio; 40 mins

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 25th, 2023 (Monday)

Cardio; 30 mins

Bench;**Comp
7 sets 1 rep 185lbs, 205lbs, 225lbs, 245lbs, 260lbs, 275lbs, 290lbs

Short on time but decided to test my comp out today instead of 2 weeks from now. 290lbs was never in doubt and believed had 300lbs in me today. Going to sign up for the Feb meet and obviously the April meet too. Not going to go crazy with bench and still do my regular bench day and 2nd press day and 2 weeks out will change it there and do comp on Monday and reps on Wednesday. Lower back still hurts a little and think maybe 2 more weeks but hoping for next week.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
December 27th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Cardio; 40 mins

Leg Press;
6 sets 13 reps

Hack Squats;
3 sets 13 reps

Bench;
7 sets 7 reps 175lbs, 185lbs, 195lbs, 205lbs, 215lbs, 225lbs, 250lbs

CGBP;
5 sets 5 reps 155lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 200lbs, 220lbs

This week and next do to holidays is a little different but did get some good bench work in.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
January 3rd, 2024 (Wednesday)

Average Weekly Weight: 204lbs

Cardio; 30 mins

Bench;
8 sets 7 reps 170lbs, 180lbs, 190lbs, 200lbs, 210lbs, 220lbs, 230lbs, 255lbs

CGBP;
5 sets 5 reps 155lbs, 175lbs, 195lbs, 210lbs, 230lbs

Flat Dbl Press;
3 sets 13 reps

3 sets 11 reps

Push Downs;
3 sets 11 reps

DeFranco Pull Aparts;
3 sets 15 reps

Since doing 7 rep blocks for bench this is the heaviest I finished a block at, +2.5lbs. Not going to do the Feb meet and will focus on the April, 16 weeks. Should be good to go for deads/ squats next week finally. If I am gong to make the 181lb class going to need to be almost perfect here on out. Weight class really doesn't matter at this point but getting all this fat off again does.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If I am gong to make the 181lb class going to need to be almost perfect here on out. Weight class really doesn't matter at this point but getting all this fat off again does.
Bench is starting 2024 strong!!
I wonder if it would be worth your while to pick Hyde and Kleens brains about fasting to prep for the meet. I know Hyde seemed to have fantastic success for last springs meet. I am definitely preferring having one hard day of discipline followed by a surplus of calories for my lifts the next day vs caloric deficits daily.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bench is starting 2024 strong!!
I wonder if it would be worth your while to pick Hyde and Kleens brains about fasting to prep for the meet. I know Hyde seemed to have fantastic success for last springs meet. I am definitely preferring having one hard day of discipline followed by a surplus of calories for my lifts the next day vs caloric deficits daily.
It’s just a tool in the box to help create a weekly caloric deficit, no magic. It was good for me because I only train 4 days/wk, so it wasn’t too hard to throw a 30 hour fast in during my 2 consecutive off-days & still get ready for the following training session.

Big thing is you need to be well-hydrated going into a training session, and ideally not feeling depleted, and you need to get enough meals/protein behind a training session before an extended fast that you can recover from that work & make adaptations. You don’t want to cause a bunch of trauma with no substrate to repair it, because then your body will just rob Peter to pay Paul.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s just a tool in the box to help create a weekly caloric deficit, no magic. It was good for me because I only train 4 days/wk, so it wasn’t too hard to throw a 30 hour fast in during my 2 consecutive off-days & still get ready for the following training session.

Big thing is you need to be well-hydrated going into a training session, and ideally not feeling depleted, and you need to get enough meals/protein behind a training session before an extended fast that you can recover from that work & make adaptations. You don’t want to cause a bunch of trauma with no substrate to repair it, because then your body will just rob Peter to pay Paul.
Yeah definitely have a post workout meal before starting the fast at a minimum but if you can wait until that evening, and finish all of that day's meals before starting the fast, I think that is better.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
so it wasn’t too hard to throw a 30 hour fast in during my 2 consecutive off-days & still get ready for the following training session
Yeah definitely have a post workout meal before starting the fast at a minimum but if you can wait until that evening, and finish all of that day's meals before starting the fast, I think that is better.
That is how I have enjoyed it. Eat semi normal without stress on lifting days, extra carbs preWO, then simply don't take in calories on my rest day.

Last edited: