best supplements to take after a minor heart attack

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
Father suffered a minor heart attack and was wondering what or is there any,supplements that can help,his heart recover???

Thanks

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't touch anything OTC with a medical history like that.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ditto ^

He needs a physician, not supplememt advice from a forum.

TheFugitive

TheFugitive

Awards
Have your dad talk this over with his cardiologist before using anything

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
I'm assuming he would now be on the standard stack of; statin, beta-blocker, ACE inhibitor or AR2 receptor blocker and an anti-platelet (or anticoagulant depending on risk factors).
Depending on the extent- there is not much that can be done to reverse myocardial hypoxic damage from myocardial infarction- the best that can be done is to preserve the function- which is what each of the medications he would(/should) be on will do.
For CVD etiologies, aside from these medications, the primary non-pharmacological treatments should focussed on attaining and maintaining CV health through diet, physio-prescribed exercise as well as such things as quitting smoking, reducing alcohol consumption, reducing salt intake below 2grams/day.
The only staple supplement post MI recommended would be co-enzyme Q10 @ 150mg daily. There is potentially more that help- but these would be focussed on potential comorbidities/precipitating conditions of CVD.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would agree. If he's had a heart attack just check anything that he would be taking. I know fish oil is always good for your heart. Vitamin E as well.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
In autopsy of hearts of those who died from heart attack they found a significant depletion of magnesium relative to other minerals. I like magnesium glycinate.