• RockStar
  • Established
George Blanda

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Charlie Ward won the Heisman, was drafted for MLB, and played 10+ years in the NBA.

av6258

av6258

Awards
Underrated: Dave Winfield. Played college football and baseball. Could have been a monster in football. Maybe just you older fellas know about him.
Yes but one of the WORST performing post season players ever. Horrible. A pure-choke artist.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Yes but one of the WORST performing post season players ever. Horrible. A pure-choke artist.
We are talking purely about athletes. Lots of phenomenal players choke at certain times. Then you have guys like Joe Flacco when it is all said and done won't be worth and **** and got on a combination of hot play and bad, bad coverage on one play. (broncos game.) People think he's clutch. You are not clutch when one of your playoff games is like 9 for 20 and 34 yards.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
And basketball. Drafted in all 3 sports if I'm not mistaken
You know, I thought he played basketball as well. Couldn't remember. Wasn't his school Minnesota?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Charlie Ward won the Heisman, was drafted for MLB, and played 10+ years in the NBA.
Good call even though I don't like anything FSU or the Knicks.

av6258

av6258

Awards
We are talking purely about athletes. Lots of phenomenal players choke at certain times. Then you have guys like Joe Flacco when it is all said and done won't be worth and **** and got on a combination of hot play and bad, bad coverage on one play. (broncos game.) People think he's clutch. You are not clutch when one of your playoff games is like 9 for 20 and 34 yards.
People still actually hate on Joe Flacco. It's amazing. He is an awesome playoff QB. He slays manning and brady and wins a ring. Come on bro. U must not watch the NFL really. He gets it done when it matters. That makes a great athelete too

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
People still actually hate on Joe Flacco. It's amazing. He is an awesome playoff QB. He slays manning and brady and wins a ring. Come on bro. U must not watch the NFL really. He gets it done when it matters. That makes a great athelete too
I don't consider poor coverage getting it done. I DO watch, I am NOT impressed, and never have been. It's a wonder he can even see to pass through that furry animal that lays on his forehead. If Rahim Moore makes a basic safety play, we aren't even talking about the luckiest tool ever. Wait until they hand him almost Drew Brees money and THEN tell me how he gets it done.

av6258

av6258

Awards
@Denver: 331 3 TD
@ New England: 240 3 TD

He went IN THE HOUSE of both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and didn't just win, spanked them both. Come on man. I'm not saying he's Joe Montana but the guy gets it done when it counts. He even tied Joes touchdown playoff record at 11-0. (picks to TDs). He also OWNS THE RECORD for most playoff wins as a QB. When Chris Carter says someone throws one of the top five best deep balls he's ever seen, we have a player. Stop being a hater u sound like a fool

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
@Denver: 331 3 TD
@ New England: 240 3 TD

He went IN THE HOUSE of both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and didn't just win, spanked them both. Come on man. I'm not saying he's Joe Montana but the guy gets it done when it counts. He even tied Joes touchdown playoff record at 11-0. (picks to TDs). He also OWNS THE RECORD for most playoff wins as a QB. When Chris Carter says someone throws one of the top five best deep balls he's ever seen, we have a player. Stop being a hater u sound like a fool
Not being a hater, just telling the truth. His first three years his D carried him. FACT. He didn't "spank" Denver. He won in OT because of BUSTED coverage, not a fantastic pass. YOU need to get your excitement over the brow toned down a bit and look at the truth. When he drains the Ravens money with his deal and they can't get anyone else, we will see if you are still strokin' his brow. You want to bring up New England games? Kaepernick gave them the business and it was his first HALF year of starting. Playing New England over and over, it's about time Flacco beat them. You should be realistic and don't let one magical run cloud your judgement. You are probably also one of those people that like "butt fumble" Sanchez and point to his playoff record. That right there is proof in and of itself that the sun shines on a dog's @ss every once in awhile.

av6258

av6258

Awards
Not being a hater, just telling the truth. His first three years his D carried him. FACT. He didn't "spank" Denver. He won in OT because of BUSTED coverage, not a fantastic pass. YOU need to get your excitement over the brow toned down a bit and look at the truth. When he drains the Ravens money with his deal and they can't get anyone else, we will see if you are still strokin' his brow. You want to bring up New England games? Kaepernick gave them the business and it was his first HALF year of starting. Playing New England over and over, it's about time Flacco beat them. You should be realistic and don't let one magical run cloud your judgement. You are probably also one of those people that like "butt fumble" Sanchez and point to his playoff record. That right there is proof in and of itself that the sun shines on a dog's @ss every once in awhile.
Comparing flacco to Sanchez is ridiculous. I would guess you were probably an Eli hater too. Rahim Moore didn't play in all 6 of those playoff games so stop it with the blown coverage argument. And Kaepernick gave them the business out of pistol. Lets see how long that lasts. Anyway I'm just saying Joe Flacco is clutch, look at the records he holds. There is no disputing that. Let's get this back to athletes man lol. Good argument.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if he didnt have a D, he wouldnt be as good. hes a step above matt schaub but still below the Elite qbs. hes too inconsistent

av6258

av6258

Awards
The ravens D is no longer what it once was. Still very solid, but both Lewis and Suggs missed numerous games. Still a solid defense but not the D that beat the giants.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Although I agree NFL qbs are great athletes (I even threw up a couple names here) but I don't honestly think you could call them the "best"athletes ever as there are numerous factors to success with them ie great line, great receivers so on and so on. I think we would have to look at other sports to truly fill that spot.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if any of you watch sportscenter, they are actually debating this throughout the next week or two. Bo Jackson just beat Michael Jordan. its by brackets.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only problem I have with their list is I'm sure they don't have any decathlon athletes on it and I honestly don't know why they would be left off.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only problem I have with their list is I'm sure they don't have any decathlon athletes on it and I honestly don't know why they would be left off.
good point. i havent seen the entire list.

y0lked

y0lked

Awards
gotta go with MJ. nobody dominated their sport in every aspect like he did

y0lked

y0lked

Awards
give lebron some time to get those rings...
lebron is definitely on track for MJ like status. But we all know, it doesnt matter how good you are, its how SUCESSFULL your team is that truly determines your greatness.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lebron is definitely on track for MJ like status. But we all know, it doesnt matter how good you are, its how SUCESSFULL your team is that truly determines your greatness.
if you are gonna go by team records, then throw away alot of people like in wrestling..etc

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed! I think to be considered best athlete ever it has to be more of an individual sport rather than a team sport imo. Interesting thread though. It's cool seeing everyone's opinion

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Decathlon by definition means being awesome at a lot of sports. Good point.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Comparing flacco to Sanchez is ridiculous. I would guess you were probably an Eli hater too. Rahim Moore didn't play in all 6 of those playoff games so stop it with the blown coverage argument. And Kaepernick gave them the business out of pistol. Lets see how long that lasts. Anyway I'm just saying Joe Flacco is clutch, look at the records he holds. There is no disputing that. Let's get this back to athletes man lol. Good argument.
It is very hard to let you have the final word haha. I could keep going. I have so many more points. Just think, it all started with me saying Dave Winfield was a great athlete. haha If I would have said one of the greatest baseball players, THEN you could have taken my man card haha

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Agreed! I think to be considered best athlete ever it has to be more of an individual sport rather than a team sport imo. Interesting thread though. It's cool seeing everyone's opinion
I think it's a little bit of both. If you can will a TEAM to victory, that is just as impressive as being dominant in a solo sport. If you can dictate a team game, you have something special going on. As far as this thread, both Lebron and Michael are legitimate athletes. Even though Jordan never made it out of the minors, it is still quite an accomplishment considering he hadn't played baseball since his teens. There is strong talk that Lebron was so good at football he could have been a pro receiver or tight end. I don't see too many solo sport stars being able to kick ass in something else.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's why I said decathlon athletes. That's 10 events, have to be a very good athlete to pull that off.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
That's why I said decathlon athletes. That's 10 events, have to be a very good athlete to pull that off.
And that's why I said it was a good point. haha

Mitch42389

Awards
Oh, no question. It's LeBron James. No one has ever seen someone as tall, as big and as FAST as the guy. NO ONE even comes close to his athletic skills. Probably Bo Jackson is the only the can merit the comparison.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, no question. It's LeBron James. No one has ever seen someone as tall, as big and as FAST as the guy. NO ONE even comes close to his athletic skills. Probably Bo Jackson is the only the can merit the comparison.
Bo Jackson's best 40 is almost a half second faster than lebrons best

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both great at their respective sports but not the best athletes ever IMO Jordan was a great basketball player but couldn't make it in Baseball. Favre was a good passer although he threw a ton of interceptions and wasn't very mobile. I personally feel that GSP, Jon Jones, or Anderson Silva are better athletes than either of them. Athletes that compete in Decathlons are even better athletes then the Mma guys I mentioned. It's all a matter of opinion of course. Hard to say who actually is the best!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JIM THORPE He was the greatest athlete in the first half of the 20th century, and I see no good reason to put such a great all-around (if there ever was one) athlete any lower than No. 2. Unfortunately, all we have to judge him from are some grainy football, baseball and track highlights, some statistics and stories—some of which are hard to verify.
In addition to being voted by the Associated Press (400 sportswriters and sportscasters) "The Greatest Athlete of the First Half of the Century" (as mentioned above), they also voted him the "Greatest American Football Player" of the first half of the 20th century.
A 6'1", 180-pound brick of a man, he was a two-time football All-American at Carlisle and was considered the best football (his favorite sport) player in the country (although there was no award at the time). In 1911, he led Carlisle to an 11-1 record and then led them to the national collegiate championship in 1912, scoring 25 touchdowns and 198 points. He played four positions: running back, defensive back, placekicker and punter.
Also, in 1912, in the Summer Olympics in Stockholm, Sweden, he easily won the gold medals (which were stripped a year later for baseball professionalism, but they were restored in 1982) in the pentathlon and decathlon, winning an amazing eight out of the 15 individual events that were part of the two competitions. Thorpe's Olympic record of 8,413 points in the decathlon stood for nearly two decades.
He also starred in track and field, was a good baseball and lacrosse player and even won a ballroom dancing contest, all while he was at Carlisle. He also dabbled in wrestling and basketball exhibitions at various times in his life. He went on to become a star in professional football (although there was no official league until 1920), retiring at the age of 41 in 1928, and he was a decent professional baseball player, batting .252 lifetime with a .327 average his final season in 1919.
Very interesting, never heard of him. Thanks for posting that.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys are judging an athlete by his/her ability to play more than one sport.

But, let's not forget, that a sport is a SKILL and being a great athlete does not mean you are good at more than on sport.

Athleticism is based upon the respective athletes speed/agility/strength/endurance/etc. not his ability to master more than one set of sport specific skills.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Running is not an athletic ability, IMO. There are many who could be track stars who run times close to Olympic guys but hate running so they play football/basketball. I had a buddy in college who could regularly run 4:30 miles, never trained long distance just played basketball. I think it's safe to say, if properly trained could contend for an Olympic spot, no? He hated running

Just curious, guys who have commented in this thread.....have any of you actively participated in athletics against or with athletes with professional ability, close to or after their time of turning professional?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys are judging an athlete by his/her ability to play more than one sport.

But, let's not forget, that a sport is a SKILL and being a great athlete does not mean you are good at more than on sport.

Athleticism is based upon the respective athletes speed/agility/strength/endurance/etc. not his ability to master more than one set of sport specific skills.
You raise a great point, went to school with an D3 all-American DB who threw like a girl....not athletic but clearly mastered a skill set

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Running is not an athletic ability, IMO. There are many who could be track stars who run times close to Olympic guys but hate running so they play football/basketball. I had a buddy in college who could regularly run 4:30 miles, never trained long distance just played basketball. I think it's safe to say, if properly trained could contend for an Olympic spot, no? He hated running

Just curious, guys who have commented in this thread.....have any of you actively participated in athletics against or with athletes with professional ability, close to or after their time of turning professional?
I went to high school with 2 guys who were drafted by MLB teams and the brother of a former NBA player.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One of my baseball teammates in High school made it as far as Triple A. He got invited to spring training with the major league team and has a great story about owning A-rod for a game. Never made it to the show though, I played against quite a few guys in college that went on to the minors as well. Pretty different playing against high caliber athletes than it was playing in high school, alot more competitive (obviously) but a great character builder!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quite a few. My area produces a lot of professional hockey players. I went to a private high school (all dudes) that's well-known for athletics as well. Students from my time there were drafted in NHL, NFL, MLB, and went to the Olympics (gold/silver medal swimmer).

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Come on guys you know that's funny!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
David Goggins is pretty impressive athlete. Maybe not the best but definitely worth a mention.