Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Haha, it works!
I am nervous, not gonna lie. First meet ever is in 4 weeks that I just decided I’m attending… yesterday 🤣
And there’s beasts benching 500 for doubles in my weight class.
Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. This should be fun.
My first meet ever I found out about and signed up for was 2 platforms with 120 lifters and guys like Robb Phillipus naked knees, Micah Marino in single-ply, Paul Carter, Jeremy Frey in multi - even the guy from our gym who got us to sign up benched 500 at 242, after a 650 wrapped squat.

There will always be bigger fish - these are the meets you want to go to! Trust me. It’s what makes it awesome.

If you have bloods soon, I wouldn’t touch the protocol. Everything you do will be a PR, so get a baseline. Then you can blast after and look for another meet sooner if you have fun.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Haha, it works!
I am nervous, not gonna lie. First meet ever is in 4 weeks that I just decided I’m attending… yesterday 🤣
And there’s beasts benching 500 for doubles in my weight class.
Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. This should be fun.
just do what I did at my first Oly meet and screw up the lbs to kg conversion on the fly.
I nailed that snatch so fast and so clean, I thought for sure it was the adrenaline of the crowd. a few minutes later crunched the numbers in my head again and realized I just killed a solid warm-up number 😅😅😅

I think I snatched like 155 or 175 when I was at the time sitting with a 205 snatch @ 175bw lol
even my PR snatch wouldn't have done anything in terms of the scoreboard per se, but that warm up rep looked clean on stage! 😅😅

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My first meet ever I found out about and signed up for was 2 platforms with 120 lifters and guys like Robb Phillipus naked knees, Micah Marino in single-ply, Paul Carter, Jeremy Frey in multi - even the guy from our gym who got us to sign up benched 500 at 242, after a 650 wrapped squat.

There will always be bigger fish - these are the meets you want to go to! Trust me. It’s what makes it awesome.

If you have bloods soon, I wouldn’t touch the protocol. Everything you do will be a PR, so get a baseline. Then you can blast after and look for another meet sooner if you have fun.
Very cool first meet! Alright I don’t feel so bad now lol. Yeah I’m pondering a few routes based on bloods. At the very least there will be superdrol the day of the meet.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
just do what I did at my first Oly meet and screw up the lbs to kg conversion on the fly.
I nailed that snatch so fast and so clean, I thought for sure it was the adrenaline of the crowd. a few minutes later crunched the numbers in my head again and realized I just killed a solid warm-up number

I think I snatched like 155 or 175 when I was at the time sitting with a 205 snatch @ 175bw lol
even my PR snatch wouldn't have done anything in terms of the scoreboard per se, but that warm up rep looked clean on stage!
Hahaha thats crazy! Surprised it didnt get thrown 3 feet over your head with that force behind it. I will certainly be sure its all good. Going to open at 375lbs.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hahaha thats crazy! Surprised it didnt get thrown 3 feet over your head with that force behind it. I will certainly be sure its all good. Going to open at 375lbs.
luckily we had 2 different classes in this particular meet and I was in the "extreme newb, first timer, please be gentle" category so when everyone saw my perfect snatch they just assumed I arrived on the short bus and cheered for my amazing feat of being able to get through the event without my helmet on, tbh

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Very cool first meet! Alright I don’t feel so bad now lol. Yeah I’m pondering a few routes based on bloods. At the very least there will be superdrol the day of the meet.
That was why I mentioned that - I was at one of the biggest meets around that year, totally by happenstance. Granted, I didn’t understand the gravity of it all, but it was definitely a better experience because there were lots of experienced lifters. Veteran guys helping us warm up and explaining the rules, the order of the rounds, etc just because they saw we were green & no idea what or when to do whatever.

SD, Anadrol or even Dbol the day prior and morning of will make a real difference for minimal impact.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
luckily we had 2 different classes in this particular meet and I was in the "extreme newb, first timer, please be gentle" category so when everyone saw my perfect snatch they just assumed I arrived on the short bus and cheered for my amazing feat of being able to get through the event without my helmet on, tbh
Lmfao!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That was why I mentioned that - I was at one of the biggest meets around that year, totally by happenstance. Granted, I didn’t understand the gravity of it all, but it was definitely a better experience because there were lots of experienced lifters. Veteran guys helping us warm up and explaining the rules, the order of the rounds, etc just because they saw we were green & no idea what or when to do whatever.

SD, Anadrol or even Dbol the day prior and morning of will make a real difference for minimal impact.
Im equally stoked to witness some epic lifts all around!

Yeah man, SD comes on fast and hard for me. I’ll skip the day before and save that for the day of.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Going to crush you bench at the meet. My 1st meet was bench only then did push/ pull before starting full meets. It is a good way to break into it.
I hitched my third attempt deadlift so bad for so long at the first meet I did, the head judge just put his hand down halfway up. I locked it out, put it down, and asked him confused why he stopped during my lift. Exasperated, but exceptionally calm & friendly, he explained that I had been hitching, which was not allowed

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Going to crush you bench at the meet. My 1st meet was bench only then did push/ pull before starting full meets. It is a good way to break into it.
Thanks pack! Pretty excited for this experience.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Thanks pack! Pretty excited for this experience.
I don't know about everyone else but after I had a few comps under my belt and knew that I was chasing podium spots (fitness comps, xfit style, not just pure strength comps) I developed a mindset that the winner had been declared over the prior months/years of training and we were there to find out who it was. It lowered my stress level and increased my fun level 10x. I still pushed myself to death, but after a few comps they just became more fun.

sorta like a strength meet where you train the skill/form and strategize weight increments, I was pre-testing WODs etc over and over to figure out the best approach and reasonable expectations. I remember one, I had tested it like 5 times and knew I was going to get whatever, say 70 reps in 7 minutes. so my goal was 10/minute for the first 5, then redline myself for the last 2 minutes. I watched the guys beside me redline out of the gate. I'm at 20, he's at 25. I'm at 30, he's at 40. but I kept my pace cause I knew my conditioning. He hit a brick wall at 50 or 55 and I flew right past him.

good times.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don't know about everyone else but after I had a few comps under my belt and knew that I was chasing podium spots (fitness comps, xfit style, not just pure strength comps) I developed a mindset that the winner had been declared over the prior months/years of training and we were there to find out who it was. It lowered my stress level and increased my fun level 10x. I still pushed myself to death, but after a few comps they just became more fun.

sorta like a strength meet where you train the skill/form and strategize weight increments, I was pre-testing WODs etc over and over to figure out the best approach and reasonable expectations. I remember one, I had tested it like 5 times and knew I was going to get whatever, say 70 reps in 7 minutes. so my goal was 10/minute for the first 5, then redline myself for the last 2 minutes. I watched the guys beside me redline out of the gate. I'm at 20, he's at 25. I'm at 30, he's at 40. but I kept my pace cause I knew my conditioning. He hit a brick wall at 50 or 55 and I flew right past him.

good times.
You see this in powerlifting meets where people get worried about what their competitor is lifting. So they choose their next attempts based on trying to keep up with or ahead of that other person - instead of just focusing on the plan that will likely yield the largest total they are realistically capable of that day. They end up swinging for the fences on third attempts and wasting them, totaling much less than their potential.

If you are strong enough and you execute well, you will win. It’s that simple.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rearranging training schedule to start next week. Moving max day to friday or saturday; rep/back day will be tuesday; Wednesday or Thursday will be delts/legwork. Additional days will be sledwork/GPP.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Rearranging training schedule to start next week. Moving max day to friday or saturday; rep/back day will be tuesday; Wednesday or Thursday will be delts/legwork. Additional days will be sledwork/GPP.
Nice ready to see this come to together!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/2
W6D2
Delts/bis

Plate halos:
20x2 sets

DB lateral raise:
15’sX20
20’sX15
25’sX10
30’sX10,8

Reverse hyper:
+90x20x4 sets

DB 21’s:
20’sX1 set underhand
25’sX1 sets underhand
25’sX2 sets hammer

DB shrugs:
75’sX25x4 sets

HS Flying bird machine:
+20x15
+50x10,10,8

Fat gripz preacher curl machine:
80x10x2 sets

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
BW: 245.3

Wife’s bday yesterday, so epic refeed. I was looking at current training path and a deload would have landed the week before the meet. Thats not what I want to do. Taking it these couple of days, figured it’s a good time with restructuring training days and all.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
BW: 245.3

Wife’s bday yesterday, so epic refeed. I was looking at current training path and a deload would have landed the week before the meet. Thats not what I want to do. Taking it these couple of days, figured it’s a good time with restructuring training days and all.
Just get your bench work very specific, or at least more specific these last weeks. Hold the bar a few moments before starting down, pause all your first reps, be using a straight bar, hold your lockouts before racking.

Not obeying the start, press, and rack commands are the main things newbies can miss on, besides opening too heavy. Otherwise, keep your butt from lifting, don’t lift your feet totally off the ground, and don’t leave your thumb loops on

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just get your bench work very specific, or at least more specific these last weeks. Hold the bar a few moments before starting down, pause all your first reps, be using a straight bar, hold your lockouts before racking.

Not obeying the start, press, and rack commands are the main things newbies can miss on, besides opening too heavy. Otherwise, keep your butt from lifting, don’t lift your feet totally off the ground, and don’t leave your thumb loops on
I’m pretty much dropping dedicated leg work days for the time being. Ive been training legs like a BB’r recently and it shows, both mirror and scale. Going full send bench and bench accessories/drills. Never used the loops on my thumbs anyways i always just grip them, wrap, release.

In hindsight maybe i should have went 275 class and just kept gorging myself like a king lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dude after the last year+ of focusing on deads and bench exclusively my legs are noticeably smaller even though I did PR deads many times in 2023 .

I'm going oppo this year and trying to gain some hypertrophy gains back in the quads and calves. I've always naturally had bigger calves than arms but this week I was wearing shorts and saw a meme in the mirror lol

275 class sounds good now that you're sleeping

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dude after the last year+ of focusing on deads and bench exclusively my legs are noticeably smaller even though I did PR deads many times in 2023 .

I'm going oppo this year and trying to gain some hypertrophy gains back in the quads and calves. I've always naturally had bigger calves than arms but this week I was wearing shorts and saw a meme in the mirror lol

275 class sounds good now that you're sleeping
Haha, yeah i get it. Apparently leg hypertrophy in the 20-30 rep range blows me up quick. This dream machine and my current supplement stack is 100% without a doubt increasing my lean body mass, and fast. Its messed up because when i notice it, something is awry lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m pretty much dropping dedicated leg work days for the time being. Ive been training legs like a BB’r recently and it shows, both mirror and scale. Going full send bench and bench accessories/drills. Never used the loops on my thumbs anyways i always just grip them, wrap, release.

In hindsight maybe i should have went 275 class and just kept gorging myself like a king lol.
You will be fine at 242 with your current situation; just make sure you hit the 9am weighin day prior so you can carb up maximally afterwards.

Haha, yeah i get it. Apparently leg hypertrophy in the 20-30 rep range blows me up quick. This dream machine and my current supplement stack is 100% without a doubt increasing my lean body mass, and fast. Its messed up because when i notice it, something is awry lol.
People get this idea that 5s on squat will give you big legs - but that’s really how you get strong legs. It’s the 10-20 rep stuff that really fills legs out. Which represents greater strength potential if you then go back to heavier work, but big ain’t strong - strong is strong.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Remind me to never train after a blood draw. This is the first and last time. So stupid.
I do about half the time, provided I believe I can hydrate properly before lifting.

Did you start bleeding from the draw site, or just didn’t recover from the fast in time?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Remind me to never train after a blood draw. This is the first and last time. So stupid.
I do about half the time, provided I believe I can hydrate properly before lifting.

Did you start bleeding from the draw site, or just didn’t recover from the fast in time?
what is the optimal amount of fasting anyways? everyone always throws up generic "dont eat after 8pm or midnight" or whatever, but if you draw blood at 6am, 12noon, 6pm etc these fasts get longer and longer. is it 6hrs you want to be fasted? 12?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Fast got me. Although the little pump i did get i kept checking for a squirter.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/6

KB bottoms up press:
25x10x2 sets per side

Reverse grip bench:
45x10
135x5
225x23,16,14,10 rep and total volume PR

DB decline Williams 45° rollback/extension:
40’sX15x3

Cable rope hammer curls:
100x30
120x20
140x20

Cybex row:
190x10x3 sets

Dropped a few accessories off, ran out of gas. The main movement took a little over 30 mins i had to take breaks

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
what is the optimal amount of fasting anyways? everyone always throws up generic "dont eat after 8pm or midnight" or whatever, but if you draw blood at 6am, 12noon, 6pm etc these fasts get longer and longer. is it 6hrs you want to be fasted? 12?
12 hours is ideal. You have bloodwork at 7:30am, you want to be done eating by that the night before.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/7
GPP
BW: 240.5

Sled push/pull:
+280x3 mins straight
+325x2 mins straight
+280x2 mins straight
+235x2 mins straight
+190x2 mins straight

CG OHP, straight bar:
45x10
95x15
125x10x2 sets

DB Zottman curls:
25’sX15
20’sX10x2 sets

HS abs:
+60x20,20,10

Sled work lit me up.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Awesome volume man….you’re really dialing it up at the right time.👍
As already said your reverse grip numbers are insane…..63 total reps with 225 man oh man, that’s “Skrong” as they say.💪
IMG_8019.jpeg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
5/7
GPP
BW: 240.5

Sled push/pull:
+280x3 mins straight
+325x2 mins straight
+280x2 mins straight
+235x2 mins straight
+190x2 mins straight

CG OHP, straight bar:
45x10
95x15
125x10x2 sets

DB Zottman curls:
25’sX15
20’sX10x2 sets

HS abs:
+60x20,20,10

Sled work lit me up.
happy birthday man, don't worry only one more year until you hit the best decade ;)

those sleds.............. that **** will get your heart RACING. love sled work...