Looking For Cell Phone Service Recommendations

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm pretty much done with Verizon. $200ish per month is just too much. There has to be something cheaper out there for this much. We have unlimited everything with 2 lines, have to have Hotspot on at least one of those, and the kids each have gizmo watches. I guess we'd have to figure out something to replace to the gizmos which is fine, but it would have to be something I could lock down, meaning they can only call or text who I allow and no internet ability.

Anyone have any recs for family plans or bundles or carriers who are like minded?

Thanks.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you have Comcast/Xfinity you can get Xfinity Wireless. Some decent deals there. They operate off of Verizon’s towers so you would have the same level of connectivity/reliability
Oh good call, we do have xfinity internet. I'll check them out. Thanks.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No problem. We are going that route once my wife’s phone is paid off

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Having some ppl on something like mint and some on a plan might be worth looking into.

Mint is all I need for myself. I have verizon internet and use the wifi. 5gb a month has always been enough when off wifi.

I'd put the heavy users on plan and the light users on mint.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Having some ppl on something like mint and some on a plan might be worth looking into.

Mint is all I need for myself. I have verizon internet and use the wifi. 5gb a month has always been enough when off wifi.

I'd put the heavy users on plan and the light users on mint.
I’ve been curious about Mint. Are they any good? I’ve worried that the service and all is crap because the prices are so low.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have used Metro PCS (now by T-Mobile) for about 8 years. Before that, I had Verizon (the top service, and best Android phones).
But I kept breaking those nice phones at work, so I decided to "downgrade" to midgrade phones, and Metro PCS.

Their service is ALMOST as good as Verizon, and at 1/4 of the price.
I pay $50 a month for Truly Unlimited Everything (hotspot is $5 extra per month), including taxes and fees.
It was a Very good decision on my part.
:)

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have used Metro PCS (now by T-Mobile) for about 8 years. Before that, I had Verizon (the top service, and best Android phones).
But I kept breaking those nice phones at work, so I decided to "downgrade" to midgrade phones, and Metro PCS.

Their service is ALMOST as good as Verizon, and at 1/4 of the price.
I pay $50 a month for Truly Unlimited Everything (hotspot is $5 extra per month), including taxes and fees.
It was a Very good decision on my part.
:)
That's the price I'm looking for.

Now the question is, can we use the same phones we have with Verizon with metro or xfinity?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm pretty much done with Verizon. $200ish per month is just too much. There has to be something cheaper out there for this much. We have unlimited everything with 2 lines, have to have Hotspot on at least one of those, and the kids each have gizmo watches. I guess we'd have to figure out something to replace to the gizmos which is fine, but it would have to be something I could lock down, meaning they can only call or text who I allow and no internet ability.

Anyone have any recs for family plans or bundles or carriers who are like minded?

Thanks.
I have AT&T, i pay $65 a month and on autopay it goes down to $56 for unlimited talk, text and data. Everything. I believe its $20 per extra line.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That's the price I'm looking for.

Now the question is, can we use the same phones we have with Verizon with metro or xfinity?
Yes.
You'll want to call to be sure, but I'm pretty sure all carriers are (finally) using phones with the same technology.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have AT&T, i pay $65 a month and on autopay it goes down to $56 for unlimited talk, text and data. Everything. I believe its $20 per extra line.
I don't do auto pay.
If I did, it would knock it down to $45 a month (including taxes and fees).

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have T-Mobile family plan (5 lines) with 5g internet and my bill is 230 per month. I just recently cut the cord. This service includes Netflix and apple tv

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have Boost for my personal and the store. Both cost a whopping: $10.00 ea/month. I think the data throttles down at 1g but if I am not at a location with wifi I am driving a car and should not be on the fucking phone anyways(and I am not.)

My service works everywhere I have gone in the USA and we have traveled the entire US multiple times(by road) and we DON'T do big/medium cities at all and almost always are remote locations and it has always worked. My $50.00 phone finds places via "gps" and has signal when my wife's lauded over Iphone does not. If wireless costed 100 a month I would not have one.

I have the lowest plan they offer but the bells and whistles plan is still a fraction of others.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’ve been curious about Mint. Are they any good? I’ve worried that the service and all is crap because the prices are so low.
Very good. I've used them since they started. They just buy from T-mobile and use their network. So if you've had good service with T Mobile, you will with Mint. I had AT&T before and the 4G was never consistent in this area. I get better service with Mint. I pay $25/month if I buy 3mo at a time. $15 if I do 12 months. So many ppl overpay for service they never use that the contract provider convince you need.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I heard whatever the one is at Walmart uses a combination of all the carriers network somehow. I think we are almost to the point we can get out of the AT&T contract and i might look into MetroPCS or the Walmart one to see what kind of deals we can get on.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Thanks.
I think you're getting raped and should go in person to negotiate. I'm paying that for 5 lines. one of which has hotspot and one of them is making a monthly new phone payment.

If you have Comcast/Xfinity you can get Xfinity Wireless. Some decent deals there. They operate off of Verizon’s towers so you would have the same level of connectivity/reliability
there is no fuckin way I'd give comcast another penny if I could avoid it. as soon as starlink makes sense I'm cutting the last little bit of comcast I have. 100% worst company in the world. worst than enron, oil, blackrock, and the united states government combined.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have T-Mobile family plan (5 lines) with 5g internet and my bill is 230 per month. I just recently cut the cord. This service includes Netflix and apple tv
this is the other option I'm looking at when t-mobile can give me enough mobile internet to power the house. You could even take their unit on a boat or RV and have internet anywhere in theory.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think you're getting raped and should go in person to negotiate. I'm paying that for 5 lines. one of which has hotspot and one of them is making a monthly new phone payment.
Geez Louise. Ok, yeah, time to switch.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
wife and I dumped verizon a few yrs ago and went to spectrum. Its been really good and cheap. i think we have 3 lines with unlimited everything for about 85$

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Geez Louise. Ok, yeah, time to switch.
I have a oneplus phone that I paid cash for, but it's going on 2.5yrs old and starting to act up so I'm looking at options. My wife told me she has had great luck talking to online customer service for great deals. Personally, I am a fan of going in and talking to people in person.

I hate going to cell phone shops as much as I hate car dealerships, but I do feel like I get better deals when I can talk to humans. They had a great deal on mobile hotspots that I could use to power my entire house for like $50/month and if I wanted, I could move the hotspot device to my boat for the weekend or something, only reason I didn't jump on it at the time was they didn't have service at my house yet...

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

there is no fuckin way I'd give comcast another penny if I could avoid it. as soon as starlink makes sense I'm cutting the last little bit of comcast I have. 100% worst company in the world. worst than enron, oil, blackrock, and the united states government combined.
If you can see the pile of dirt next to the orange cones you will see the ongoing work of MY HEROS!

They are my heros because they are digging these holes all over town in order to bury the NEW fiber optic cable that a new company is brining to town. We will pay 1/3 of what we pay to comcast(180.00/month for 250mgb speed internet and NOTHING MORE.) I cannot wait to tell comcast/xfinity what they can go do to themselves now that their monopoly is OVER. The new company charges NOTHING for service men/women to come to your house and they charge NOTHING for the router, no contracts and no cancelation fees. I have waited a long time for this day and it will be celebrated as a new yearly holiday in our household. Ding Dong the WITCH IS DEAD!

P.S. I had a very detailed and elaborate exchange I had planned when I turned in our equipment(I was going to stress to the manager I spoke with that my message was for corporate and not them personally) BUT then I realized that they have my whole browser history and decided to calmly and quietly cancel our "service." lol

Attachments

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you can see the pile of dirt next to the orange cones you will see the ongoing work of MY HEROS!

They are my heros because they are digging these holes all over town in order to bury the NEW fiber optic cable that a new company is brining to town. We will pay 1/3 of what we pay to comcast(180.00/month for 250mgb speed internet and NOTHING MORE.) I cannot wait to tell comcast/xfinity what they can go do to themselves now that their monopoly is OVER. The new company charges NOTHING for service men/women to come to your house and they charge NOTHING for the router, no contracts and no cancelation fees. I have waited a long time for this day and it will be celebrated as a new yearly holiday in our household. Ding Dong the WITCH IS DEAD!

P.S. I had a very detailed and elaborate exchange I had planned when I turned in our equipment(I was going to stress to the manager I spoke with that my message was for corporate and not them personally) BUT then I realized that they have my whole browser history and decided to calmly and quietly cancel our "service." lol
a few years ago I had something like 35hrs logged with comcast customer service over the course of a week or two. essentially, my phone on speaker while I sat on hold 90% of the time to tell the same story to a dozen different people. They are a nightmare and their prices are not great. I ONLY have them for basic internet and I get 99% of what I want from youtube tv right now. the only thing youtube tv misses for me is root sports, so I dont' catch a lot of mariners games, but I get all of the seahawks, normal local tv channels, great cable channels (premium) and a lot of golf that I never got with comcast.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
On a side note, you guys know i study spanish on the daily with my phone. I've been an android user forever but I'm THIS close to moving to apple. My wife's iphone has a camera that is 10x better than mine, and my OnePlus recently updated to have this awesome racing stripe.

after a week of a green stripe, it turned into two green stripes. now it's 2 green stripes and a purple stripe going right through the words on my duolingo, lol I'm just about to give up on all androids.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On a side note, you guys know i study spanish on the daily with my phone. I've been an android user forever but I'm THIS close to moving to apple. My wife's iphone has a camera that is 10x better than mine, and my OnePlus recently updated to have this awesome racing stripe.

after a week of a green stripe, it turned into two green stripes. now it's 2 green stripes and a purple stripe going right through the words on my duolingo, lol I'm just about to give up on all androids.

View attachment 237577
Samsung or bust! The camera is always better than iPhone camera. They make the cameras for iphone. I haven't ever had an issue with one other than breaking the screen. I have been using Samsung for probably 12 years now.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m fortunate my company pays my cellphone plan. I use mine way more than I like to admit I do. The day I don’t need one for work I will be driving 80 and toss it right out the window.

then the wife will be mad and I’ll get a flip phone lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Samsung or bust! The camera is always better than iPhone camera. They make the cameras for iphone. I haven't ever had an issue with one other than breaking the screen. I have been using Samsung for probably 12 years now.
right on, looks like there are some good deals on the new samsung, maybe I'll give it a try!