Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Even throughout his sickness, it was overtly apparent that he absolutely loved lifting. As long as his platelets were high enough, he was right on it. Today, I let my own personal demons hold me back from making efforts to get my ass to the gym. His story inspired me to get over myself and get out there!

Unfortunately, at some point along my drive to the gym, a larger than life acorn decided to wedge itself between my brakes and wheel rims. I haven’t heard a noise like that since the original Jurassic Park movie. I had no choice but to call my girlfriend to bring our toolbox to my gym parking lot so I could set it free. After that mess, I decided it was best to just have a drink.

Rocket was certainly more devoted than myself, but I will continue to draw upon his dedication moving forward as I get older and it inevitably gets easier to find excuses to divert yourself from striving for your physical goals.

Wasn’t meant to be today though 🤷🏼‍♂️
Today’s not over, Ricky

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Even throughout his sickness, it was overtly apparent that he absolutely loved lifting. As long as his platelets were high enough, he was right on it. Today, I let my own personal demons hold me back from making efforts to get my ass to the gym. His story inspired me to get over myself and get out there!

Unfortunately, at some point along my drive to the gym, a larger than life acorn decided to wedge itself between my brakes and wheel rims. I haven’t heard a noise like that since the original Jurassic Park movie. I had no choice but to call my girlfriend to bring our toolbox to my gym parking lot so I could set it free. After that mess, I decided it was best to just have a drink.

Rocket was certainly more devoted than myself, but I will continue to draw upon his dedication moving forward as I get older and it inevitably gets easier to find excuses to divert yourself from striving for your physical goals.

Wasn’t meant to be today though 🤷🏼‍♂️
Like Hyde said, today's not over - but if you can't today, tomorrow is a new day.

If you need to talk, I'm always here.

Just keep doing the best that you can do and I'm sure Rocket is smiling down on knowing that he inspired you. I really mean that - he was such a good man and he always wanted to encourage and help other people.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Man.. after an AM hiatus, I am sad to hear this news. I learned a lot from him over the years, as did many others.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
May I ask how he passed..??
Z...
He passed away from Leukemia. He had detailed much of his battle in his personal thread on here.

His family set up a fundraiser for the Lymphoma and Leukemia society in his honor, which I really wish had gotten more activity that it did on here. A lot of people had asked in his thread for a way to help or support the family, so his daughter had created this fundraiser in his memory for those asking.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Rocket3015, real name Richard Merrick, passed away on November 6th, 2023.

Richard went to be with the lord while surrounded by his much loved family after a long and hard battle with cancer, a battle in which he fought with strength, character, and positivity.

I say that he went to be with the lord because I know that’s how he would want me to say it, as he was a man of faith. I also say that because I firmly believe it. We talked about faith privately quite a bit, and I remember several times him telling me that he didn’t often talk about his faith to people he didn’t know, that instead of talking about it, he tried to live a life that exemplified it.

Rocket joined Anabolic Minds on July 24th, 2014, and quickly became one of the most active, respected, and beloved members on this forum. This community will forever be better because of his presence.

He was in many ways a leading force here and an inspiration to so many both in terms of his physique, commitment, and dedication to fitness, and in just exemplifying what it meant to be a good man.

Rocket lived a life of trying to help others.

Please help continue that legacy and help make this fundraiser set up by his daughter a success.

Please give what you can and also help spread the word so that others can as well.

Rocket was, and his memory will continue to be, in many ways the heart and soul of this forum.
Rest in peace Rocket. A legend on these forums whose presence will be missed. A decent human with a larger than life passion for lifting weights and helping people out.

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Rest in peace Rocket. A legend on these forums whose presence will be missed. A decent human with a larger than life passion for lifting weights and helping people out.
Great to see you post. Hadn't seen you in awhile.

Rocket is definitely a legend here. In some ways, I viewed him as a father or grandfather type figure to these forums and was always a positive and helpful voice of reason.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Great to see you post. Hadn't seen you in awhile.

Rocket is definitely a legend here. In some ways, I viewed him as a father or grandfather type figure to these forums and was always a positive and helpful voice of reason.
I had forgotten my login details to this account and the email account that was used to create it. Finally got round to figuring it all out.

Always sad to log in and see another legend has passed

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had forgotten my login details to this account and the email account that was used to create it. Finally got round to figuring it all out.

Always sad to log in and see another legend has passed
Glad to see you back on here. Always sad when any member passes, but this one definitely hit hard.

ndiguy

ndiguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Damn, haven’t been active on here the last few months so a bit late to this one.

Rocket was the man. A real staple to this forum and I’m sure a great man IRL.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As we were driving into town back from bowling with my kids, I saw a blood drive going on. Thought it was very fitting moment. Stopped and donated blood for the first time in my 30’s in memory of Rocket.

It’s been almost 10 years and will hopefully continue doing it. I decided to do the normal amount rather than the Power Red. They told me neither one is more important than the other so I chose to give the normal amount since it’s been awhile. Done in less than 5 minutes.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As we were driving into town back from bowling with my kids, I saw a blood drive going on. Thought it was very fitting moment. Stopped and donated blood for the first time in my 30’s in memory of Rocket.

It’s been almost 10 years and will hopefully continue doing it. I decided to do the normal amount rather than the Power Red. They told me neither one is more important than the other so I chose to give the normal amount since it’s been awhile. Done in less than 5 minutes.
Very nice .. i only do it once a year to american red cross to support local kids

For some reason i was thinking about rocket and bigT alot last week

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Thank you so much. I updated the post to include you on the list of people that have donated.