Squat, powerbar
45x5
135,225x3
335x2
+comp sleeves & belt
425,475,515,545,565,585x1
+ Average Bands
335 2x5

Heaviest I’ve ever woken up, and 585 is the heaviest squat I’ve ever take on a basic power bar by 30lbs!

515 was the hardest squat of the night; I accidentally cut depth I believe since it felt heavy from placing the bar too high on my traps, and it shook me like an earthquake as the bar whipped up & down the entire way up. Then 545 I set the bar lower and made sure to bury it so I could move with the rebound instead of fighting the whip, and that was better but I pitched forward and nearly went over my toes. 565 I focused on driving my upper back backwards as hard as possible and it was easier than 545, so I knew I had to take 6 plates (so to speak; I had a pair of hundos on the bar). It took all of my will, but when I unracked it I knew it was mine.

IMG_6926.JPG

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Very impressive workout…..
The working sets 425,475,515,545,565,585x1 are impressive enough for the total weight volume, but hitting that 585 at the end, man…I really think you have 600+ in you.👍💪👏
Also, I’m impressed that your wife is able to spot you with that much weight on squats. She’s a keeper.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice squat! That’s awesome dude, must’ve felt great.
Better on a good power bar from a good friend!

Very impressive workout…..
The working sets 425,475,515,545,565,585x1 are impressive enough for the total weight volume, but hitting that 585 at the end, man…I really think you have 600+ in you.
Also, I’m impressed that your wife is able to spot you with that much weight on squats. She’s a keeper.
Yeah hitting that weight dictates I should be good to attempt 606 at the meet when peaked. Also, since I’ll get to compete on a 55lb squat bar that will definitely add some stability which can’t hurt.

Yeah she’s great to have in my corner! I had 420lbs of weight on the backside of the yoke, so I basically told her if I miss your job is just to push me forward onto the pins as I come down so the weight stays towards the center. As long as she doesn’t let it fly back to the ends of the spotter arms, it won’t flip the yoke

5'10" at 271lbs remind me not to make you made !
Just don’t steal my food!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/21/22
BW 268.0

6 min walk

Band Warmup

Benchpress, powerbar
45 2x5
135,185,235x3
275,305,330,355,370x1
385x1 PR
+ doubled minibands
225 2x3

DB Laterals
30,35x12

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30 2x12

I remember being 18 years old at 180lbs of pudge when I had just started lifting, and struggling to benchpress the empty 45lb bar if I lowered it all the way to my chest. It’s been nearly 14 years, and I’ve now added 340lbs. As strong as I’ve made my body, it’s my mind I’ve had to make strongest - wherever the mind can lead, the body will follow.

IMG_6941.JPG

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
8/21/22
BW 268.0

6 min walk

Band Warmup

Benchpress, powerbar
45 2x5
135,185,235x3
275,305,330,355,370x1
385x1 PR
+ doubled minibands
225 2x3

DB Laterals
30,35x12

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30 2x12

I remember being 18 years old at 180lbs of pudge when I had just started lifting, and struggling to benchpress the empty 45lb bar if I lowered it all the way to my chest. It’s been nearly 14 years, and I’ve now added 340lbs. As strong as I’ve made my body, it’s my mind I’ve had to make strongest - wherever the mind can lead, the body will follow.

View attachment 220991
It looks like everything is coming together for this meet…..your bench is really coming up. I know it’s only a few weeks away, but it would not shock me if you got 405. I know that a 20 lbs jump is a lot from that 385 PR, but that total weight volume you put in before hitting 385 leads me to believe that if everything lined up right, and feels good, I really think you can get it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It looks like everything is coming together for this meet…..your bench is really coming up. I know it’s only a few weeks away, but it would not shock me if you got 405. I know that a 20 lbs jump is a lot from that 385 PR, but that total weight volume you put in before hitting 385 leads me to believe that if everything lined up right, and feels good, I really think you can get it.
People have a massive tendency to overestimate what they can do at a meet, probably because they aren’t considering they just maxed out squat & things are more strict than the gym. The third attempt column for bench on the projector screen is usually more reds/fails than any other lift.

This sets me up for a smooth 391.3/177.5kg attempt, and if I was feeling ultra strong I could consider 396.8/180kg, but I’d probably only do that if squat went to hell. If I go 3/3 on squats, I will prioritize the total.

Honestly, this was huge for me. 10lb lifetime bench PR, and 16lbs heavier than any successful meet attempt. Having gone years with no PR at points, this last year has been awesome with the addition of 15lbs total on my bench.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/22/22

5 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Foam Rolling

GHR
2x12

Conventional, deadlift bar
135x3
225,315,405x1
+belt
455,495,530x1

Dynamic Deadlift
vs short minibands
350 5x1 EMOM

Low Pin Pulls (mid shin)
+straps
430,440x5

CS T-bar Row
90x15
135 2x12

Now that the 100% Max Effort work is completed, I’ve entered the 90% week to begin tapering down. This week is typically just as hard for me. It lacks the excitement of maxing out, & having to hit 90% of the biggest lifts I just did last week becomes harder now that my CNS is fatigued. Just gotta grit my teeth and keep marching. Once I get through squats on Friday, it should be smooth sailing.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
People have a massive tendency to overestimate what they can do at a meet, probably because they aren’t considering they just maxed out squat & things are more strict than the gym. The third attempt column for bench on the projector screen is usually more reds/fails than any other lift.

This sets me up for a smooth 391.3/177.5kg attempt, and if I was feeling ultra strong I could consider 396.8/180kg, but I’d probably only do that if squat went to hell. If I go 3/3 on squats, I will prioritize the total.

Honestly, this was huge for me. 10lb lifetime bench PR, and 16lbs heavier than any successful meet attempt. Having gone years with no PR at points, this last year has been awesome with the addition of 15lbs total on my bench.
Yep that’s so true…..I’m kind of the hype man at my gym, trying to encourage guys to push it, but you’re right, competition is a whole new ball game and much stricter…..still really good benching. I could definitely see you getting that 391 or 396, oops there I go again, but I do get it, you don’t want to try too high a bench at the sacrifice of your total.👍

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You know your wife is a strongwoman when you go looking for the pasta strainer, only to discover it’s dirty from MAKING SANDBAGS

View attachment 221065
This is not Hyde’s wife….for informational purposes only.😎
When you said your wife was filling, sandbags I remembered seeing this ad when I was looking for gym equipment.
I thought it was cool they chose one of the Strongwoman competitors instead of a Strongman as their representative.
2E8FF75C-AB2D-4AED-AC59-8BF63B9A7F33.jpeg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is not Hyde’s wife….for informational purposes only.
When you said your wife was filling, sandbags I remembered seeing this ad when I was looking for gym equipment.
I thought it was cool they chose one of the Strongwoman competitors instead of a Strongman as their representative.
View attachment 221070
I’m not taking about that cheater CrossFit stuff, with handles all over & skinny as a rail. I’m talking about a REAL sandbag, stuffed to the brim with no handles! The kind you need a dolly to move unless you are warmed up.

IMG_6948.JPG

^200lber my wife ran after squats this morning preparing for Nationals.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m not taking about that cheater CrossFit stuff, with handles all over & skinny as a rail. I’m talking about a REAL sandbag, stuffed to the brim with no handles! The kind you need a dolly to move unless you are warmed up.

View attachment 221074

Oh man, I didn’t realize I posted a CrossFitter. That’s blasphemy in a Powerlifter’s log…….
I humbly apologize.😇
Actually that’s impressive your wife runs with a 200 lbs sandbag. A lot of dudes would struggle to pick it up.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh man, I didn’t realize I posted a CrossFitter. That’s blasphemy in a Powerlifter’s log…….
I humbly apologize.
Actually that’s impressive your wife runs with a 200 lbs sandbag. A lot of dudes would struggle to pick it up.
Hahaha I know I’m being a turd. That woman is clearly strong and pretty; it’s the implement I take issue with! I know those are indeed technically sandbags, but definitely not what someone wants if they’re after raw strength. That’s basically a safe & adjustable kettlebell, while a traditional sandbag is more like a stone.

Most men even at a commercial gym will struggle and fail to move a 200lb bag. Just carrying our 150 out of my wife’s car gets me totally out of breath in an instant since I never play with them.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hahaha I know I’m being a turd. That woman is clearly strong and pretty; it’s the implement I take issue with! I know those are indeed technically sandbags, but definitely not what someone wants if they’re after raw strength. That’s basically a safe & adjustable kettlebell, while a traditional sandbag is more like a stone.

Most men even at a commercial gym will struggle and fail to move a 200lb bag. Just carrying our 150 out of my wife’s car gets me totally out of breath in an instant since I never play with them.
Looking at the level of competitions she competes in, she must be ranked pretty high.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking at the level of competitions she competes in, she must be ranked pretty high.
Very high, world level as a lightweight pro (under 64kg). Although lately she’s been working on her overall strength as a middleweight. At some point you just want to see how strong you can get and chill out with the constant dieting.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Very high, world level as a lightweight pro (under 64kg). Although lately she’s been working on her overall strength as a middleweight. At some point you just want to see how strong you can get and chill out with the constant dieting.
That’s what I thought…..very cool.💪👍🏆

That makes that 200 lbs carry even more impressive, that she is carrying 1 1/2 times her own weight.👏

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the PRs!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I got an InBody scan today on my lunch break because I really wanted to know my bodyfat. The database wasn’t connected so I wasn’t able to log it for future reference or get a print out showing muscle mass distribution per usual, but I did get what I valued most: total muscle mass and bodyfat.

I weighed 265lbs/120kg, bodyfat came in at 27.4% and muscle mass registered at 112lbs. If I recall correctly, my scan at this approximate weight 2 years ago I was more like 29% bodyfat and 110lbs of muscle, so I am at a slightly superior composition to when I was at my strongest ever.

I wanted things to be better when I finally got back to this size, but after the back problems that came on after that training cycle 2 years ago, then my back going out entirely when I became a father, rehabbing everything, and now being a father, I am still ultimately pleased to see I got better despite all the obstacles.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got an InBody scan today on my lunch break because I really wanted to know my bodyfat. The database wasn’t connected so I wasn’t able to log it for future reference or get a print out showing muscle mass distribution per usual, but I did get what I valued most: total muscle mass and bodyfat.

I weighed 265lbs/120kg, bodyfat came in at 27.4% and muscle mass registered at 112lbs. If I recall correctly, my scan at this approximate weight 2 years ago I was more like 29% bodyfat and 110lbs of muscle, so I am at a slightly superior composition to when I was at my strongest ever.

I wanted things to be better when I finally got back to this size, but after the back problems that came on after that training cycle 2 years ago, then my back going out entirely when I became a father, rehabbing everything, and now being a father, I am still ultimately pleased to see I got better despite all the obstacles.
That’s a good sign, more muscle mass than at your strongest. Wouldn’t be surprised if you get a new high on your total.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/24/22
BW 268.0

6 min walk

Reverse Hyper
210 2x15

alt w/ DB Hammercurls
30,35x15

alt w/ Band Pullaparts & Pressdowns
3x25 each

Dynamic Bench
vs doubled minibands
45x5
95,145x3
185 6x3

EZBar Rolling Tri Extensions
67x15
107 2x15

Feeling totally winded; I mentioned fully dropping out Masteron E for more Test E basically to not end up with a half empty vial of Mast, but I believe my body is reacting poorly to the higher level of test. Weight seems like it’s creeping up in water retention. Just took an AI, 12.5mg Exemestane, with today’s shot for the first time in weeks, maybe months - hoping that knocks the bloat down some because it’s miserable.

The plan was to add 50mg Anadrol the last 10 days pre-contest, but if I don’t feel any better tomorrow I might start taking some Mast Prop daily instead and just take Anadrol the night before and morning of the meet. Probably pull my test/deca/DHB blend down ever so slightly to accommodate if I do.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah adding the Mast Prop with your Exemestane should help keep your bloat in check. It doesn’t take long when you drop a DHT and increase Test for that water to rise, and that somewhat dramatic swing can make you feel like crap.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah adding the Mast Prop with your Exemestane should help keep your bloat in check. It doesn’t take long when you drop a DHT and increase Test for that water to rise, and that somewhat dramatic swing can make you feel like crap.
Feeling a bit better and dropped almost 2lbs with the AI thankfully! Going to hold off on changing the hormones any further for now. I would definitely prefer to stick to my plan if possible.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah it’s amazing how off a little extra water can make you feel.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/26/22
BW 266.6

6 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR alt w/ Band Pullaparts
2x10/30 each

Squat, powerbar
45x5,3
135x3
225x2
335x1
385x1
+comp sleeves & belt
425,465,500,530,550x1
+ Average Bands
355 2x5

Felt pretty strong today - I did a really great job getting the food and water in today, nailed my PED timing (AAS 2-hours prior, inj carnitine & choline 1 hour out, Ephedrine & Caff/hup A/B complex/GW/Ubiquinol+PQQ 30 minutes out), and been getting extra sleep. Today called for 1 rep at 527; smoked 530 with no ammonia so I took an extra rep at 550 no problem. Also put an extra 20lbs on the banded back-off work.

IMG_6970.JPG

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

View attachment 221074

I found a old leather heavy bag on the side of the road with all the insides removed. I brought it home and filled it with sand and dirt, it's like 185lbs. Scooping it off the ground up onto my shoulder and slamming it back down takes everything I got. Hell of a random workout

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
8/26/22
BW 266.6

6 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

2x10/30 each

Squat, powerbar
45x5,3
135x3
225x2
335x1
385x1
+comp sleeves & belt
425,465,500,530,550x1
+ Average Bands
355 2x5

Felt pretty strong today - I did a really great job getting the food and water in today, nailed my PED timing (AAS 2-hours prior, inj carnitine & choline 1 hour out, Ephedrine & Caff/hup A/B complex/GW/Ubiquinol+PQQ 30 minutes out), and been getting extra sleep. Today called for 1 rep at 527; smoked 530 with no ammonia so I took an extra rep at 550 no problem. Also put an extra 20lbs on the banded back-off work.

View attachment 221234
Everything is coming together really well….still putting up big numbers.
I saw AC/DC in 1980 on their Back in Black Tour. The first four concerts I ever saw were Kiss 1978, Aerosmith 1979, AC/DC 1980, and Rush 1980.😎

Gandalfthegreg

Gandalfthegreg

Awards
8/26/22
BW 266.6

6 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

2x10/30 each

Squat, powerbar
45x5,3
135x3
225x2
335x1
385x1
+comp sleeves & belt
425,465,500,530,550x1
+ Average Bands
355 2x5

View attachment 221234
Heard of all those pre compounds except for the Huperzine B. You like the complex better than huperzine A stand alone?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I found a old leather heavy bag on the side of the road with all the insides removed. I brought it home and filled it with sand and dirt, it's like 185lbs. Scooping it off the ground up onto my shoulder and slamming it back down takes everything I got. Hell of a random workout
If you can shoulder, carry, slam a sandbag, you can do it to a man! Good conditioning & building for anyone, but especially a fighter.

Everything is coming together really well….still putting up big numbers.
I saw AC/DC in 1980 on their Back in Black Tour. The first four concerts I ever saw were Kiss 1978, Aerosmith 1979, AC/DC 1980, and Rush 1980.
Yeah tapering down now, but these felt easy enough.

I bet they were pretty great live!

Heard of all those pre compounds except for the Huperzine B. You like the complex better than huperzine A stand alone?
Sorry, I took a cap of 50mcg cap of Huperzine A AND a capsule of a B Complex. Plenty of B12 and shores up any deficiencies for the day in things like Niacin, etc. I am not sure how long the injectable choline chloride is supposed to be in effect, but I always took Hup A with AlphaGPC and it seems to pair well with the choline cl as well.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How long do you hold your side planks ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
15-20 seconds with top arm straight up stretching my shoulder and my top leg abducted as high as it will go into a scissor.

View attachment 221285

These get harder when you gain weight, but they are tremendous for bracing activation.
I have never tried them like that ? I will give it a go next time

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/28/22
BW 265.6

6 min walk

Band Warmup

Benchpress, powerbar
45 2x5
135,185x3
235x2
275,305,330,345,360x1
+ doubled minibands
225 2x3

Damn glad to be finished with the 90% week. I am really feeling the beat down; I’ll probably try to condense final training down to 3 days this week. 2 weeks out

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/31/22

6 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

2x11/25

Squat
45x5
135x3
225,315x2
385x1
+belt & comp sleeves
435,465x1
355 2x5

Conventional, deadlift bar
245,335,385x1
+belt
435,470x1
365 5x1 EMOM

4” Blockpulls
+straps
445 2x5

Combined my 80% deadlift and squat since the comp is only 12 days away - last time on these lifts, besides maybe 2-3 plates next Tuesday or Wednesday to stay loose. Everything moved really well. Planning on adding a few accessories to my speed bench session tomorrow night to round this out.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I believe you are going to do really well !!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks like everything is going much smoother leading in to this competition as compared to your last comp…..count down💪

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great stuff in here as usual!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/1/22
BW 263.6

5 min walk

Cable Warmup

Dynamic Bench
185 6x3

Rolling EZBar Tri Extension
100x20,18

One-arm Cable Tri Pressdown
22 2x25 each overhand
16,11x25 each underhand

Lat Pulldown
88,110,121,143,165,187x10

CSR
45x12
80 2x12

Reverse Pec Deck
70 2x25

DB Hammercurls
30,35x15

Cable Pullthrus
60x15
110x15,15,20

Sore from yesterday as expected, but got some good work in. Took Daft Pump prior and some of the higher rep work was just brutal with the pumps I was getting. I was kind of embarrassed when I saw myself walk by in the mirror, how far out my elbows were sticking out after my rowing work, until I tried to lower them further down to my side and I couldn’t because that’s actually how pumped my lats were. I didn’t have invisible lat syndrome - I just had actually wide lat syndrome

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
9/1/22
BW 263.6

5 min walk

Cable Warmup

Dynamic Bench
185 6x3

Rolling EZBar Tri Extension
100x20,18

One-arm Cable Tri Pressdown
22 2x25 each overhand
16,11x25 each underhand

Lat Pulldown
88,110,121,143,165,187x10

CSR
45x12
80 2x12

Reverse Pec Deck
70 2x25

DB Hammercurls
30,35x15

Cable Pullthrus
60x15
110x15,15,20

Sore from yesterday as expected, but got some good work in. Took Daft Pump prior and some of the higher rep work was just brutal with the pumps I was getting. I was kind of embarrassed when I saw myself walk by in the mirror, how far out my elbows were sticking out after my rowing work, until I tried to lower them further down to my side and I couldn’t because that’s actually how pumped my lats were. I didn’t have invisible lat syndrome - I just had actually wide lat syndrome
You probably have wide lat syndrome more than you realize….that good pump just made you notice it more.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I didn’t have invisible lat syndrome

This made me laugh, I have known a few people over the years that had this, if they only knew how ridicules they looked!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Last shot of blast was Wednesday. It was 0.8ml short and a normal shot due to what gets wasted in syringe changes over time, so approximately 235mg less of test/deca/DHB combined this week.

10 days out and I’m adding 50mg Anadrol nightly per my plan. So total gear is going from 1,450mg to 1,565mg, but it will be a more potent combo.

Pushing calories wherever I can. Keeping my weight up is the only thing I’m focused on at this point; the work is done basically.