Cutting Log

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I did a few extra sets of MTS press on my right side at the end of this since the right pec is lagging behind so bad. May start sprinkling in some right pec work midway through the split also just to really try and stimulate it

11/9/23
Pec deck warmup 3x12-15
Dumbbell fly
20-12,10

Incline dumbbell press 1 max set 8-10 reps (3 sec eccentric)
35-8 45-6 55-6 60-12 (go to 65)

Flat bench (smith or dumbbell) 3x10-12
40-12,12,11

1 arm dumbbell preacher curls (rest pause 20 reps over 3 attempts) incline bench
25-12,4,3

Parallel dips 2 sets to failure
Body weight-16,8

Standing 1 arm cable curls 1x20 max weight (slow and squeeze)
17.5-16,16

Seated cable chest flies 3x15 90 second rest
(Pec deck)
70-broken peck

30-15,12,12 MTS cross body press

20 minutes 9 incline 3.2mph
If I'm reading this correctly, you're hitting 12-14 work sets for chest in a workout? How often do you hit the same muscle group?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m using my early start as an (reasonable) excuse to leave work early, so I won’t be doing a full 12 hours today like every other day, I like to hit the gym if I have the time but I do need to learn some boundaries.

very least I’ll do some LISS and ab work.
Yesterday was chest not back by the way and today would be shoulders, early start like I said 😂

so I was wrong when I said back to chest day, that’s already happened lol. But, I did skip the rest in between those days.
Oh gotcha I was thinking 10-12 hr work then like 2-6 hr drive home

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If I'm reading this correctly, you're hitting 12-14 work sets for chest in a workout? How often do you hit the same muscle group?
Once per week (if I skip rest days then every 4-5 days I think), I would say more like 9 actual working sets, with 2 extra for the right side.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh gotcha I was thinking 10-12 hr work then like 2-6 hr drive home
Not today! Normally on a Friday that’s the case. Today I’ll probably do 8 hours work, gym, 3 hour drive home.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Super early start to work - will be a true test of my hunger today. Work started 3:00am and I have to drive back to KC this afternoon, so I’ll be awake a damn near full 24 hours. I am going to try my hardest to stick to the meals, I did buy a bag of carrots if I start to get super hungry I’ll stuff myself with 100 calories of carrots and diet soda and do an extra 20 on the treadmill.

admittedly I’ve not been taking many rest days (topic of discussion with my wife and our therapist that I was outnumbered on lol) but I feel good, enjoy the gym, and want to get as many lifts in because sometimes life happens and I have to miss one. There are (2) programmed rest days, suppose this is a question for my coach, I’ve just been riding through the motions with no rests, following the same “order” per se. I may do an extra arm/shoulder day if it ends up being a short gym day after back or leg day.

All that said, (chest) yesterday would make today a shoulder day. I’m either going to do chest today if I have the time, or just do an arms, abs, rear delt, trap day with chest tomorrow.

what's everyone’s thoughts on that? What would you guys do in a situation like that?

last week he told me hit whatever felt good when I went in on my rest day.
Bro, I hope you don't mind me mentioning some things that might seem a little personal or presumptive. My wife has a lot of the characteristics and traits that you do. She has anxiety, BiPolar type2, and a touch of OCD like behavior. One thing I have noticed with her and others with traits like this is that they turn what they believe into fact (for them). Obviously you believe you can make yourself go to the gym daily without a coach and it is so important to you that you don't take scheduled rest days, just in case you might miss a workout. Very OCD'ish behavior there. However it is also something you like to do but because of the way you are wired you feel like you have to.

You just need to figure out a way to use that as a strength. Stop telling yourself you cannot be consistent on your diet. Stop conditioning yourself to fail in that regard. You have stuck to your diet quite well with the coach. So now you know you can stick to a diet. You need to reaffirm this to yourself over and over. Stop saying you can't. Stop buying carrots to snack on just in case you choose to fail later today. Start saying I can, and I have. Make yourself believe you can succeed until you feel compelled to do the right thing. I have to use my ADHD superfocus to my benefit or it will run me off into doing a lot of unproductive things. We all have to adjust in some way. Yours is going to probably need to start with stopping the negative and self doubting speech and telling yourself you have, you can, you must. Use that OCD'ish trait to your benefit.

Also consider the fact you don't take rest days could have and still be a source of your anxiety and desire to eat constantly. Do you think that your CNS is not on edge being trained hard daily without the prescribed and required rest? it is very likely that you're digging a hole. I would imagine it would be hard to be at peace when you are causing yourself an exorbitant amount of unneeded stress without the chance to recover. This could also be a huge part of why it is hard to control your appetite. Your body is saying hey if you won't give me rest so I can recover at least feed me damn it! Plus I am sure cortisol is up from both physical and mental stress making the hunger that much worse.

Anyway brother speak positivity into your situation. Like @Hyde said you are a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for and when you speak negatively like that about yourself you are actually giving yourself permission to continue the behavior because you state it as if it is an immutable fact. If it is an immutable fact then resistance is futile and therefor failure is inevitable so I am not to blame for my actions. It is an easy trap to fall into and one I have fallen into myself and had to fight my way back out of.

Of course, if I am way of base here then my musings aren't helpful but I might be a little better at typing at least. ;)

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bro, I hope you don't mind me mentioning some things that might seem a little personal or presumptive. My wife has a lot of the characteristics and traits that you do. She has anxiety, BiPolar type2, and a touch of OCD like behavior. One thing I have noticed with her and others with traits like this is that they turn what they believe into fact (for them). Obviously you believe you can make yourself go to the gym daily without a coach and it is so important to you that you don't take scheduled rest days, just in case you might miss a workout. Very OCD'ish behavior there. However it is also something you like to do but because of the way you are wired you feel like you have to.

You just need to figure out a way to use that as a strength. Stop telling yourself you cannot be consistent on your diet. Stop conditioning yourself to fail in that regard. You have stuck to your diet quite well with the coach. So now you know you can stick to a diet. You need to reaffirm this to yourself over and over. Stop saying you can't. Stop buying carrots to snack on just in case you choose to fail later today. Start saying I can, and I have. Make yourself believe you can succeed until you feel compelled to do the right thing. I have to use my ADHD superfocus to my benefit or it will run me off into doing a lot of unproductive things. We all have to adjust in some way. Yours is going to probably need to start with stopping the negative and self doubting speech and telling yourself you have, you can, you must. Use that OCD'ish trait to your benefit.

Also consider the fact you don't take rest days could have and still be a source of your anxiety and desire to eat constantly. Do you think that your CNS is not on edge being trained hard daily without the prescribed and required rest? it is very likely that you're digging a hole. I would imagine it would be hard to be at peace when you are causing yourself an exorbitant amount of unneeded stress without the chance to recover. This could also be a huge part of why it is hard to control your appetite. Your body is saying hey if you won't give me rest so I can recover at least feed me damn it! Plus I am sure cortisol is up from both physical and mental stress making the hunger that much worse.

Anyway brother speak positivity into your situation. Like @Hyde said you are a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for and when you speak negatively like that about yourself you are actually giving yourself permission to continue the behavior because you state it as if it is an immutable fact. If it is an immutable fact then resistance is futile and therefor failure is inevitable so I am not to blame for my actions. It is an easy trap to fall into and one I have fallen into myself and had to fight my way back out of.

Of course, if I am way of base here then my musings aren't helpful but I might be a little better at typing at least. ;)
I can’t argue/dispute a single thing you’ve said(I don’t believe I have any bipolar, but that’s mostly irrelevant). I absolutely do have OCD (other aspects of my life are where it shines i.e. specific patterns while getting ready for bed or leaving the house - pattern gets broken then I restart)

I will say, I’ve broken my normal night time OCD routine this whole week. Maybe medication helping? Maybe just catching my footing again and getting things turned around mentally with therapy and help from you all as well as my wife and coach.

Obviously more activity will increase hunger and I am likely causing it myself. Even the last 4 days I’ve gotten much better at dealing with the hunger and just saying “it is what it is” but I see how even getting carrots is reinforcing the behavior of self fulfilling failure.

I go to the gym most every day and justify it by saying I don’t know if I may work late the next night or it’s going to be closed when I get back home home on Friday night. So to avoid an unplanned rest day, I’ve been taking test days and continuing to lift. Could absolutely be, and most likely is causing more anxiety and is absolutely compulsive behavior.

I appreciate any and all feedback and advice. I’ve been telling myself that people live off far less food everyday, I will survive and still be able to sleep and eat in the morning if my stomachs a bit rumbly. Although being hungry at bed has always been my number one failure point when I break and cheat (not so much anymore, but before) so I really try to eat the bulk of my food in the evening, fasting the first few hours of the day.

I absolutely need to get more self positivity in my life and a big topic of therapy this week was “the mind is just a thought generator” you
Just have to recognize when the thoughts are not good, and just state them as facts. “I have the thought I might become anxious and unable to sleep” instead of “I’m going to get a panic attack when I try to go to bed”

this can apply to food, gym, anything I think. Typically I do take Fridays off the gym at minimum, because it’s a full work and travel day but I’ve been leaving work early as a way to help my mental health but just using the gym to fill the time off.

I say all that to let you know how I justify my excuses (not saying they are valid by any means), but also to give myself a little credit that I am in fact getting a little better every day.

Last edited:
rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
@MrKleen73 inspired me to take a rest day today I believe, will spend it with the wife working on the new house.

Shoulders from yesterday, weight was 195lbs this morning.

11/10/23
Seated DB shoulder press warm up to 1 max set 8-10 reps
25-12 35-12 40-8 45-8 50-6 60-7

Seated DB shoulder press (smith is okay - rest pause 20 reps over 3 attempts)
50-11,3,3 (increased from 45s)

Shrugs 2x15 (2 minute rest) smith machine
Dumbbells
75-16,17 no straps (move to smith machine with straps)

Cable side lateral raises 1 max set 20 reps
10.5-17,17 (5 partials)

Face pulls 3x12 superset below (can’t superset equipment distance)
90-12,12,12 (partials to failure last 2)

Reverse cable flies/pec deck 3x10-15 (90 sec rest between supersets)
70-last week weight 90- 2 sets failure
(did these after extras below. 70lbs last week 3x15)

Seated cable rows? did these while waiting on reverse pec deck
42.5-15 60-15,13 drop 42.5-12 drop 27.5-12

Abs

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff man, I bet the wife will appreciate it too!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Arms yesterday, legs today. Hoping I can get a smith machine to try and get an accurate starting strength.

Last nights cheat meal was smoked buffalo chicken Mac and cheese with some Pbfit peanut butter and blueberry Belvita crackers (maybe the best snack in existence)

Extras will be wife’s dinner for the week. I may not have the willpower of @MrKleen73 or others in prep, but I am always proud when I stick to my one cheat meal a week 😂 it’s sad but it’s about par for course on what keeps me accountable.

Ran out of transdermal Ursa today, just need that injectable that was talked about earlier this week now. Like, now now.. seems super interesting to me @Smont

Last edited:
akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Arms yesterday, legs today. Hoping I can get a smith machine to try and get an accurate starting strength.

Last nights cheat meal was smoked buffalo chicken Mac and cheese with some Pbfit peanut butter and blueberry Belvita crackers (maybe the best snack in existence)

Extras will be wife’s dinner for the week. I may not have the willpower of @MrKleen73 or others in prep, but I am always proud when I stick to my one cheat meal a week 😂 it’s sad but it’s about par for course on what keeps me accountable.

Ran out of transdermal Ursa today, just need that injectable that was talked about earlier this week now. Like, now now.. seems super interesting to me @Smont
Smoked Mac and cheese is one of my favorites! Make that and a rack of ribs awww man chow time!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Smoked Mac and cheese is one of my favorites! Make that and a rack of ribs awww man chow time!
One thing I miss the most being on a structured plan (aside from being a super fatty) is all the smoked meats. Mmm, love me a pork butt or a nice fat reverse seared ribeye.

Just more motivation to stay lean and get to where my maintenace is 3,000 calories lol so a bulk can include these things

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I feel like the word enhanced is doing some heavy lifting in that electrolyte and vitamin phrasing. :LOL:

It would be 1g of sodium if you did 5 just as something to keep in mind, otherwise there isn't a ton else in there.

Do you feel you even need a gallon of water? If it is a huge struggle to get that in each day the total amount might now be worth it.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I feel like the word enhanced is doing some heavy lifting in that electrolyte and vitamin phrasing. :LOL:

It would be 1g of sodium if you did 5 just as something to keep in mind, otherwise there isn't a ton else in there.

Do you feel you even need a gallon of water? If it is a huge struggle to get that in each day the total amount might now be worth it.
Lol I’m more doing it for the flavor than anything, tastes like propel and makes drinking 100x easier.
A gallon is easy for me, I’ve been pushing 2 gallons trying to stay full is the reason I’m after it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok ya I’d just keep an eye on various electrolytes if you feel the need to consume that much water.

Others may differ, but I’m not usually too concerned with flavoring additives lkke that (but idk if I’d want to use 5 packets a day personally).

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
5 is an exaggeration,
Ok ya I’d just keep an eye on various electrolytes if you feel the need to consume that much water.

Others may differ, but I’m not usually too concerned with flavoring additives lkke that (but idk if I’d want to use 5 packets a day personally).
definitely not a need, moreso just an attempt to control my hunger!
5 is just what I guesstimated to fill a gallon, it’s real low “dosed” like you said so really I don’t expect any issues, just curious if I was skipping over something.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5 is an exaggeration,

definitely not a need, moreso just an attempt to control my hunger!
5 is just what I guesstimated to fill a gallon, it’s real low “dosed” like you said so really I don’t expect any issues, just curious if I was skipping over something.
Well like he said you are looking at a gram of sodium, and 300mg pf potassium so not really anything out of the ordinary. You would be much better off getting the half gallon sugar free coolaid packs from Great Value, it will be far cheaper and taste much better. If you need salt keep some himalayan salt or some iodized salt there at work and just take a little throughout the day. Easy peasy.

They have it in MIO like squirt bottles too

Also the single serving sticks.

You are getting artificial sweeteners in the hydration drink so might as well get it much cheaper with the above options. Plus the tend to taste way better than the hydration ones.

Not sure why it changed the names of the links to Robot or Human but they are safe Walmart links to the drinks. The link still works.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I see the gram of salt as a positive, unless you are hyper retentive with high bp from high doses of AAS or some other condition (and we know you aren’t).

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I see the gram of salt as a positive, unless you are hyper retentive with high bp from high doses of AAS or some other condition (and we know you aren’t).
I salt the **** out of my food, I am immune at this point. Lol but really I haven’t had anny issues!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well like he said you are looking at a gram of sodium, and 300mg pf potassium so not really anything out of the ordinary. You would be much better off getting the half gallon sugar free coolaid packs from Great Value, it will be far cheaper and taste much better. If you need salt keep some himalayan salt or some iodized salt there at work and just take a little throughout the day. Easy peasy.

They have it in MIO like squirt bottles too

Also the single serving sticks.

You are getting artificial sweeteners in the hydration drink so might as well get it much cheaper with the above options. Plus the tend to taste way better than the hydration ones.

Not sure why it changed the names of the links to Robot or Human but they are safe Walmart links to the drinks. The link still works.
Lol the links got me.

I figured I should get some extra electrolytes with the added water, and when I added them in I did notice a temp increase in vascularity “seems to have lessened since” which is why I stuck to the electrolyte trend, but the GV mixes I’m all for as well. I didn’t see the plain zero sugar drink mixed the last time I was there, or just overlooked it!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah, the gram could be beneficial but can easily be added in without paying an extra expense for the basically sugar free coolaid with some electrolytes in them.
his upper body form is developing well but we don't have the lower body portion of the bench dialed in yet so he's giving up a lot of leg drive. I tend to go to sternum too while arching as much as I can (which is very very little to be honest). lately I've been trying to play with a bar path that is a little higher towards the pecks just to explore differences in movement efficiencies and explosiveness but generally my bar path is pretty low, his is down close the sternum right now on a lot of reps too but I don't think it should be or needs to be on him with no arch, he might be mimicking me on accident lol.
Lol the links got me.

I figured I should get some extra electrolytes with the added water, and when I added them in I did notice a temp increase in vascularity “seems to have lessened since” which is why I stuck to the electrolyte trend, but the GV mixes I’m all for as well. I didn’t see the plain zero sugar drink mixed the last time I was there, or just overlooked it!
Yeah when i saw them i was like WTH, then tested the linka and they worked. I would just add my salt in separately. I just drop a 1/4 teaspoon on my tongue and wash it down with some water. Easy Peasy.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
2ml is ALOT of volume lol I can’t imagine you
guys who can slam 2-3ml of oil of all things, I’m basically shooting water over here.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Okay so you guys get to see officially how weak my legs are here, gonna have to hold myself somewhat accountable now

11/13/23
Smith machine squat warm up to 1 max set 8-10 reps
Bar-16 70-10 110-6 160-4 200-9 240-4

Smith machine squats cluster set 3x12 (1/2 weight of max) (60 sec rest)
110-12,12,12

Leg extensions 3x20 superset
75-18,20,19

Lying (sitting) hamstring curls 3x20
75-20,18,17 seated

Seated calf raises 2x15 (slow eccentric 1 second pause at bottom)
Leg press machine
115-15,15

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Okay so you guys get to see officially how weak my legs are here, gonna have to hold myself somewhat accountable now

11/13/23
Bar-16 70-10 110-6 160-4 200-9 240-4

110-12,12,12

75-18,20,19

75-20,18,17 seated

Leg press machine
115-15,15

I don’t think that’s anything to be ashamed of man, pretty good numbers.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t think that’s anything to be ashamed of man, pretty good numbers.
I’d say it’s not anything to be ashamed of, if I didn’t bench 270lbs a year ago. Lol granted I weighed 40 more pounds and was on 500mg test, but I believe my squat was about the same then as well.

not horrible but I know mine should personally be better, I neglected legs for a long long time!

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2ml is ALOT of volume lol I can’t imagine you
guys who can slam 2-3ml of oil of all things, I’m basically shooting water over here.
It is a lot of volume. Only place I will do shots that large are lats, glutes & VG. That’s only 6 spots so I rotate them carefully if there’s a need for that.

Carnitine shouldn’t ever need to go beyond 500mg/1cc at a time for most. Even someone really cutting hard using a gram, that should be divided over 2 different application times (and therefore sites) in a day. So up to 1cc twice per day, that can go almost any muscle you’ll tolerate. I have heard of some CrossFit or endurance athletes using grams per day, but that’s a very acute use case. They are drug tested so they have to use what they can to the greatest degree, while a bodybuilder can take anything in combination.

Most people aren’t even cutting very hard and won’t need more than 2-500mg once/day of routine use.

I’d say it’s not anything to be ashamed of, if I didn’t bench 270lbs a year ago. Lol granted I weighed 40 more pounds and was on 500mg test, but I believe my squat was about the same then as well.

not horrible but I know mine should personally be better, I neglected legs for a long long time!
Yeah as an enhanced male, even being lean and cutting, you should work on being able to do a set with 225 for 10. That’s not asking too much from a basic performance metric.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It is a lot of volume. Only place I will do shots that large are lats, glutes & VG. That’s only 6 spots so I rotate them carefully if there’s a need for that.

Carnitine shouldn’t ever need to go beyond 500mg/1cc at a time for most. Even someone really cutting hard using a gram, that should be divided over 2 different application times (and therefore sites) in a day. So up to 1cc twice per day, that can go almost any muscle you’ll tolerate. I have heard of some CrossFit or endurance athletes using grams per day, but that’s a very acute use case. They are drug tested so they have to use what they can to the greatest degree, while a bodybuilder can take anything in combination.

Most people aren’t even cutting very hard and won’t need more than 2-500mg once/day of routine use.

Yeah as an enhanced male, even being lean and cutting, you should work on being able to do a set with 225 for 10. That’s not asking too much from a basic performance metric.
I can’t figure out the fancy double quote from my phone lol but you don’t have to say anymore to convince me to go back to 1ml. I only hit my glutes with anything that big so I’ll be struggling here in about a week. If anything, I’ll probably drop the dosage every couple days to rotate delts and pecs. I usually save quads for test twice a week.

225x10 sounds incredibly reasonable over the next several weeks.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can’t figure out the fancy double quote from my phone lol but you don’t have to say anymore to convince me to go back to 1ml. I only hit my glutes with anything that big so I’ll be struggling here in about a week. If anything, I’ll probably drop the dosage every couple days to rotate delts and pecs. I usually save quads for test twice a week.

225x10 sounds incredibly reasonable over the next several weeks.
If you click a post, click the More button then a pop up will appear where you select Multi Quote. Then you can scroll through selecting quotes the way you would pictures in a photo album, then click Done in the upper right hand corner to generate the post. Add your text and post.

It’s very easy and intuitive once you’ve done it.

Carnitine is like GH in that the effects are more realized by consistent application than blasting a larger amount a few times. You can take a large amount of androgens and see big changes in just 2 weeks, but while you will feel large doses of GH or Carnitine nothing big happens to the physique in 2 weeks (besides water retention with growth).

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yesterday just did some abs and cardio wasn’t feeling very great, so saved chest for tonight.

11/16/23
Pec deck warmup 3x12-15
Dumbbell fly
20-12,10

Incline dumbbell press 1 max set 8-10 reps (3 sec eccentric)
40-8 50-6 55-6 65-9 failed halfway through rep 10

Flat bench (smith or dumbbell) 3x10-12
40-12 45-11,12 (been stuck at 40lbs for several weeks)

1 arm dumbbell preacher curls (rest pause 20 reps over 3 attempts) incline bench
25-12,4,3

Parallel dips 2 sets to failure
Body weight-17,9

Standing 1 arm cable curls 1x20 max weight (slow and squeeze)
17.5-16,16

Seated cable chest flies 3x15 90 second rest
(Pec deck)
70-15,15,14

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice workout.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m really learning this **** is far from rocket science and clearly it’s not easy - because I’d look better than I do but it’s honestly all the same.

my coach has a discord server where him, and several other online coaches and a handful of IFBB pros/mostly amateurs hang out and post their logs and you can get diet/training/gear advice.

All the diets are the same like 99% of them are the exact same, just fluctuate between 50-200g of rice or protein each meal depending on goals. It makes sense because the hard part is actually just doing the damn thing, but outside of competing it makes it seem very silly to hire a coach to tell you okay your weights stagnated for the last 2 weeks? add 40g rice to each meal. I’m oversimplifying it and I’m a prime example of someone who knows what needs to be done but lacks (or lacked - still to be seen if I follow through 100% on my own) the motivation to do it without someone to hold me accountable.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Some of it comes down to knowing when and how to make adjustments. Not saying necessarily for the simple case you wrote, but a good coach will know if they've worked with enough people or the same person enough the right times and changes to make to push the changes they need.

I do think there are a lot of garbage "coaches" out there that just use super cookie cutter actions and plans that aren't worth it, but a good coaching relationship can be hard to grasp if you've never been part of that process before.

Motivations and limitations can vary quite a bit per individual.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Some of it comes down to knowing when and how to make adjustments. Not saying necessarily for the simple case you wrote, but a good coach will know if they've worked with enough people or the same person enough the right times and changes to make to push the changes they need.

I do think there are a lot of garbage "coaches" out there that just use super cookie cutter actions and plans that aren't worth it, but a good coaching relationship can be hard to grasp if you've never been part of that process before.

Motivations and limitations can vary quite a bit per individual.
I 100% agree. Coaches definitely help and it’s more nuanced than I made it seem, especially the further along you get. I really meant in my own personal life I shouldn’t need a coach to do this, it’s simple for someone like me who’s barely even considered a lifestyle client, I just previously lacked self control and blamed it on not knowing what to do, in reality I just need 100% structured meals. I fail to do the “IIFYM” style eating, because I sneak small snacks here and there and think it’s okay to fast all day long and eat a pizza and 3 scoops of protein because I hit my calories still. Lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, the first 95% of it is not rocket science, not saying you don't need a certain level of knowledge to do it, and a good bit more to do it well. However still not rocket science especially when considering body composition first. However when you have a good coach who is also trying to make sure your health markers stay good, and everything then it gets even more attention to detail. Once you get to being a great contest prep coach though, you are entering something that requires a lot of both knowledge and personal familiarity with the client to achieve greatness on a consistent level.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The basics are pretty simple. The challenge for me is the curve balls that come your way. Over the last two months I have increased calories to start a bulk. I have gained 25 lbs in that time. I have now hurt my arm and can't train as I was especially push. I'm currently taking a week off and have the doctor on Monday. Do I keep eating 4000 cals per day while not training? Do I just ensure I get my 200 protein and lower carbs to reduce chance of excess fat gain? Just an example of when things start becoming more tricky.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also forgot to mention, about 3 months too late since cardio’s way down but I’ve got 2 pairs of new running shoes coming today to try. Brooks Ghost, supposed to be decent pair but idk my size so hopefully one of the 2 I ordered fit.
Ive been lifting in running shoes, but I may start changing into those after my lift for cardio and wearing my converse for the actual lift. I feel like taking off my shoes at planet fitness for squats/deadlifts/etc. is a bad idea lol
I always feel weird changing shoes at the gym but it is what it is. My ristos are good for squats and oly, that's it... When I'm done, I'm back in my sauconys

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The basics are pretty simple. The challenge for me is the curve balls that come your way. Over the last two months I have increased calories to start a bulk. I have gained 25 lbs in that time. I have now hurt my arm and can't train as I was especially push. I'm currently taking a week off and have the doctor on Monday. Do I keep eating 4000 cals per day while not training? Do I just ensure I get my 200 protein and lower carbs to reduce chance of excess fat gain? Just an example of when things start becoming more tricky.
Always eat for what you are about to do if performance is the goal. If composition is the primary focus, eat for what you have just done.

In either scenario, NO, you would not keep eating for a training load that no longer exists. That’s how you see people so fat at the supermarket they need to ride on carts to get around the store, because they consistently out-eat their activity level & recovery needs.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Right personally I’d eat protein at your correct amount and try to stay at maintenance. May be hard to figure out but that would be the ideal scenario while taking a break I would think.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Arms
11/18/23
Preacher curls machine (warm up then rest pause 20 reps over 3 attempts)
50-12 65-8 80-6 95-11,5,3 (weird machine-heavier)

Seated tricep extensions (dumbell or cable) work up to 1 max set of 15
45-12 50-8 55-16

Straight bar cable curls 3x12 (short rest slow negative) superset below
60-12 70-13 75-12 close grip camber bar

1 arm cable tricep extensions 3x12 (high cable only part)
25-12,12 30-12 (cables here are lighter)

1 arm seated (standing at incline bench) dumbbell preacher curls 1 set to failure 12-15 reps
25-10,10 (1 forced rep at end)

V bar tricep pushdown 1 max set of 20 reps
40-20,5 partials (diff cable machine - weights heavier)

Standing hammer curls 4x12 (90 sec rest heavy)
25-13,12,12,12 (partials to failure last two sets)

Abs

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Weight was down to 191.9lbs this morning, don’t really expect an increase in calories yet he knows I’m going on vacation so I imagine we will stay the same for a week or two after to see where I’m really at? Squat increased 5lbs and went from 9 to 10 reps from 5 days ago. Probably going to hit the gym every day since I will probably miss Wednesday and Thursday due to traveling and the holiday so I’ll use those as my two rest days (may try to at lunch Wednesday before we leave)

11/19/23
Bar-10 75-8 115-5 165-4 205-10

115-12,10 (back pumps), 15

60-22,14,16 (heavier than AR)

60-18,16,15 seated (way heavier than other location)

Leg press machine
120-16,15

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also got to vitamin shoppe and grabbed a bunch of the Gorilla Mind energy drinks.
The white one is okay, nothing great. Tigers Blood is definitely one of the best tasting energy drinks I’ve had, though.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also got to vitamin shoppe and grabbed a bunch of the Gorilla Mind energy drinks.
The white one is okay, nothing great. Tigers Blood is definitely one of the best tasting energy drinks I’ve had, though.
I have not heard of those before, they in gas stations or no?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have not heard of those before, they in gas stations or no?
No sir only vitamin shoppe and Amazon. It’s Derek from “More Plates More Dates”.

YouTube fitness “guru” actually a real knowledgeable guy.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No sir only vitamin shoppe and Amazon. It’s Derek from “More Plates More Dates”.

YouTube fitness “guru” actually a real knowledgeable guy.
Oh gotcha, can’t say I have heard of him. Every once in a while I grab an energy drink at the gas station for a long drive. Haven’t found any I really enjoy that much, so I almost brew coffee at home and pack my thermos 😂 I guess I’m becoming my father lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh gotcha, can’t say I have heard of him. Every once in a while I grab an energy drink at the gas station for a long drive. Haven’t found any I really enjoy that much, so I almost brew coffee at home and pack my thermos 😂 I guess I’m becoming my father lol
I go through phases, not so much anymore because my anxiety’s been bad so i stick to black coffee, but for a while there I was a fiend for energy drinks - trying every flavor from every brand I found lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Coach’s only response was “how tf did you lose 4lbs bro”

lol so we will see what he comes back with today. I will say I like working with him, but I may or may not finish the bulk with him or switch to another buddy I met online. He’s a good guy but his week to week responses are fairly small, granted he doesn’t like to make drastic changes and they aren’t needed either but I do want to try something a bit different just to see what’s out there. Plus - I always have his discord to get some opinions and keep in touch.

edit - don’t want to make it seem like he’s unprofessional or a sham coach. He is affordable and I bought the lowest tier program which only has every other week adjustments built in, but the man will text/call/email/adjust diet and training every day if I asked him to.

he’s called me several times when I was freaking out with bad anxiety on the cut with the bloating and the anxiety and hunger in general and really helped calm me down and put things into perspective.

his response last night was minimal to my update but he always comes back with an update himself after the initial response.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Coach’s only response was “how tf did you lose 4lbs bro”

lol so we will see what he comes back with today. I will say I like working with him, but I may or may not finish the bulk with him or switch to another buddy I met online. He’s a good guy but his week to week responses are fairly small, granted he doesn’t like to make drastic changes and they aren’t needed either but I do want to try something a bit different just to see what’s out there. Plus - I always have his discord to get some opinions and keep in touch.

edit - don’t want to make it seem like he’s unprofessional or a sham coach. He is affordable and I bought the lowest tier program which only has every other week adjustments built in, but the man will text/call/email/adjust diet and training every day if I asked him to.

he’s called me several times when I was freaking out with bad anxiety on the cut with the bloating and the anxiety and hunger in general and really helped calm me down and put things into perspective.
Next time around hit me up for some ideas. Im trying to work on making some moves to do more online training and i need some test monkeys willing to log stuff.

I figure if I want people to pay me for my services, I gotta prove they work first so I gotta give some stuff away.

I'd rather do it here with some of you guys. All i want in return is the person in question to stick to the plans and give honest feedback.

It could even all be done through emails or dm's, i was going to present this to 3 ppl in the spring.

I normally have 7-10 clients for weight loss and at the moment only one of them is in a position to start bulking, and its a she, so that limits my audience

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Next time around hit me up for some ideas. Im trying to work on making some moves to do more online training and i need some test monkeys willing to log stuff.

I figure if I want people to pay me for my services, I gotta prove they work first so I gotta give some stuff away.

I'd rather do it here with some of you guys. All i want in return is the person in question to stick to the plans and give honest feedback.

It could even all be done through emails or dm's, i was going to present this to 3 ppl in the spring.

I normally have 7-10 clients for weight loss and at the moment only one of them is in a position to start bulking, and its a she, so that limits my audience
I’d be down to be a Guinea pig! You clearly know your stuff, i prepaid through the next couple months with him but when that’s up I am a free agent so to speak lol

I can change the log and start a new one to pick up where we begin if we do end up doing that. I can do email/text/call/FaceTime whatever!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’d be down to be a Guinea pig! You clearly know your stuff, i prepaid through the next couple months with him but when that’s up I am a free agent so to speak lol

I can change the log and start a new one to pick up where we begin if we do end up doing that. I can do email/text/call/FaceTime whatever!
He's lying, there is a mandatory 1 time order of a prime cut tomohawk steak to be sent to his, or MY house should he not want it.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
He's lying, there is a mandatory 1 time order of a prime cut tomohawk steak to be sent to his, or MY house should he not want it.
I could probably swing that. Wild Fork Foods, they’ll deliver almost anywhere!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BMW4Life Workout Logs 5
MFTrainz Weight Loss 52
Cycle Logs 26
Anabolics 167
Cycle Logs 6