Composite Decking

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
have any of y'all done composite decking?
we have two large decks on our house and I have to replace planks yearly because it's weather facing and just gets hammered. I'm thinking of moving to a composite such as Trex, but I'm also price sensitive because the decks are so big. One of them is 22 planks wide by 36ft long. so 792 linear/board feet and I see composite decking run $2.50 to $13/ft. Huge variance!!

I'd love to just get the cheap stuff and be done with it but want to do my research to make sure that doesn't cause further issues down the line.... the nice part is I'll do the install myself and use existing joists so I'll save a chunk of cash with that aspect....

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mistakenly came here for "docking" but as a homeowner I will stick around for any feedback on the "decking."

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've tried to transition over from wood to composite in most upgrades. Mostly hardiplank or similar concrete composition. The stuff lasts. The problem is the price and if you're experienced enough to diy the hardi is much different to work with. Need different blades and there's alot of dust. Thinner planks can Crack too but it's a benefit if you know how to score the surface.

I haven't had a problem using decking screws with it, luckily no need to predrill in my applications

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have a dock as well that gets beat with high winds. If you have a lumber yard I would try to get your treated wood from there. Supposedly the lumber from big box stores have less treated penetration, I may remember the term incorrectly. This is told from the yard but their prices were no more than the big box store.

I'd add a picture of my recent replacement they're all too large to upload

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've tried to transition over from wood to composite in most upgrades. Mostly hardiplank or similar concrete composition. The stuff lasts. The problem is the price and if you're experienced enough to diy the hardi is much different to work with. Need different blades and there's alot of dust. Thinner planks can Crack too but it's a benefit if you know how to score the surface.

I haven't had a problem using decking screws with it, luckily no need to predrill in my applications

I hadn't even thought about hardi for the deck... I have used it before, I sided a full 1 car garage in that stuff. it will be standing long after I'm gone, lol.

I have a dock as well that gets beat with high winds. If you have a lumber yard I would try to get your treated wood from there. Supposedly the lumber from big box stores have less treated penetration, I may remember the term incorrectly. This is told from the yard but their prices were no more than the big box store.

I'd add a picture of my recent replacement they're all too large to upload
yeah we are right off the water, the house just gets beat to hell....

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
have any of y'all done composite decking?
we have two large decks on our house and I have to replace planks yearly because it's weather facing and just gets hammered. I'm thinking of moving to a composite such as Trex, but I'm also price sensitive because the decks are so big. One of them is 22 planks wide by 36ft long. so 792 linear/board feet and I see composite decking run $2.50 to $13/ft. Huge variance!!

I'd love to just get the cheap stuff and be done with it but want to do my research to make sure that doesn't cause further issues down the line.... the nice part is I'll do the install myself and use existing joists so I'll save a chunk of cash with that aspect....
I haven’t personally put it on anything I own. My old house I went conventional decking and spent the money painting and re painting every year. A friend of mine put it on his deck, downfall was it was so flimsy he didn’t have enough stringers under neath so it bowed and just did not look great a year down the road. Also I am unsure how well that material can be painted down the road when it wears/fades.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@xR1pp3Rx , May have some input on this ....

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yea man if your deck isn't framed specifically for the composite you intend to use, its a recipe for disaster. Do not use.

next time you replace the wood, restack it all with spacer sticks between rows and let dry for a few weeks prior, stain all 4 sides and let dry for 48-72 hours before installing it.

Also use a high-grade stain like Cabbots. Don't buy the crap at the box stores.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
is your deck framed 16" on center? If so some of the newer trex can span that.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
is your deck framed 16" on center? If so some of the newer trex can span that.
I haven't measured in a while but I'm almost certain it was 16" or less. One of the decks my wife's parents had made when they were alive 20+ years ago. the other one was made about 10 years ago.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I haven't measured in a while but I'm almost certain it was 16" or less. One of the decks my wife's parents had made when they were alive 20+ years ago. the other one was made about 10 years ago.
conversely, if its framed 24" on center you may be able to add a joist between existing joists. That would effectively make it worthy of pretty much any composite, @ 12" on center

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
conversely, if its framed 24" on center you may be able to add a joist between existing joists. That would effectively make it worthy of pretty much any composite, @ 12" on center
that's kinda what i was thinking, I had watched a bunch of videos of people adding additional joists and cross supports when doing various designs so I figured adding a few joists in is still cheaper than reframing the entire deck...

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Just if you wanted a cheaper possibly more beneficial option try the lumber yard.
I love older buildings. We're in the same boat where a 2x4 was truly 2 inch by 4 inch...

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just if you wanted a cheaper possibly more beneficial option try the lumber yard.

I love older buildings. We're in the same boat where a 2x4 was truly 2 inch by 4 inch...

Years ago, I was working for my friend (and his wife) doing home improvement and repair, and she was on the site (he wasn't), and we gave her a list of what we needed from home Depot.

She came back later (it took. while) with a truck bed full of stuff.

She told us that what took so long, was for them to cut all the 2×4s to order...
Because they don't carry 2"×4", as an actual size.

We explained that we meant the standard 2×4s ....
And she burst into tears.
I felt really bad (she and my friend were having issues).
We explained that everything was fine... We could use some of them as is... And the rest, we'd just rip 'em down.

It all worked out.
BTW.... That house was one of the worst I ever worked on (condition wise).
It looked FINE.
But underneath, it had the worst case of dry rot that I've ever seen.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
for real! 😂

my wife had a TON of wood stacked when I moved in with her because when her uncles 100 year old boat shed/house (he was a boat builder back in the day) was torn down she claimed ALL of it. a lot of the wood was used in a number of places throughout the house really nicely. We made other random outside projects with some. the old stuff was HARD wood, great shape, would not bend, and was thick.