Carb Cycling -- Thoughts and Experiences?

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

*disclaimer: I know that the only way to lose fat is through a deficit.

Looking to take my cut to the next level and shed these last 5-7 lbs. From what I've seen, there seems to be conflicting scientific evidence on whether carb cycling actually is an effective way to boost fat loss/ support lean muscle gain. Consequently, I wanted to pique everyone's brain and see if you guys could provide anecdotal evidence about your personal experiences or opinions on carb cycling to determine whether or not I should try it.

Currently running a loose IF regime and just started adding a GDA to my arsenal.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure, On lifting days my carbs are generally higher, and on lifting days lower. If you need to lose extra then you can go lower carb on lifting days just make sure you have enough energy to train and get carbs in pre and post training. I like first meal of the day, and protein and fats the rest of the meals later on.

*remember some people can eat higher carbs, as they process cabs better. Some people can eat more fat and process fat better* you have to find what your body responds to best by trying different things. I say absolutely carb cycling works if done creatively and intelligently

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with the above. i would suggest searching online carb cycling and you will find tons of info. But like said it's all about experimenting and finding out for yourself what works.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys,

*disclaimer: I know that the only way to lose fat is through a deficit.

Looking to take my cut to the next level and shed these last 5-7 lbs. From what I've seen, there seems to be conflicting scientific evidence on whether carb cycling actually is an effective way to boost fat loss/ support lean muscle gain. Consequently, I wanted to pique everyone's brain and see if you guys could provide anecdotal evidence about your personal experiences or opinions on carb cycling to determine whether or not I should try it.

Currently running a loose IF regime and just started adding a GDA to my arsenal.
I personally love carb cycling and do it no matter what my goal is. It can be implemented during a cut, recomp, or bulk. I think it is a great way to stay lean, get lean, and put on mass. Like you mentioned, you need a deficit to lose weight, but I do think one's macros play a role, to an extent, as well. I would give it a shot. I am going to link two articles down below and I would give them a read. I follow a modified version from the Carb Cycling Codex article. One thing I will mention about that article, their suggestions for cutting, the fats are way too low. If you have questions on when I have my high, moderate, and low carb days, let me know.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

https://www.scribd.com/doc/233225345/Shelby-Starnes-Carb-Cycling-Guide

Beta

Awards
  • Established
I personally love carb cycling and do it no matter what my goal is. It can be implemented during a cut, recomp, or bulk. I think it is a great way to stay lean, get lean, and put on mass. Like you mentioned, you need a deficit to lose weight, but I do think one's macros play a role, to an extent, as well. I would give it a shot. I am going to link two articles down below and I would give them a read. I follow a modified version from the Carb Cycling Codex article. One thing I will mention about that article, their suggestions for cutting, the fats are way too low. If you have questions on when I have my high, moderate, and low carb days, let me know.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

https://www.scribd.com/doc/233225345/Shelby-Starnes-Carb-Cycling-Guide
That's really helpful! Thank you! I use a fairly unconventional 8 day split (2 on, 1 off, 4 on, 1 off) so I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan out the cycle.

I'd love to see what your carb cycle schedule looks like! Also, do you know if High/low would be as effective as High/Medium/Low?

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am on week two of carb cycling and i am loving it. I am doing H,M,L,H,M,L,L week cycle, but like mentioned above maintaining a caloric deficit.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to see what your carb cycle schedule looks like! Also, do you know if High/low would be as effective as High/Medium/Low?
Big fan of carb cycling as well. I've found it to be a great way to add variety to your diet, and it also allows you to have days to look forward to instead of a constant monotony of the same foods and same macros. This is my high/medium/low breakdown:

Monday: Leg day - High Carb
Tuesday: Delts and Chest (push) - Moderate Carb
Wednesday: rest/cardio - Low Carb
Thursday: Back and traps (pull)- Moderate Carb
Friday: Legs and Delts (weak muscle group day) - High Carb
Saturday: Arms and Abs - Moderate Carb
Sunday: Rest: Low Carb

I usually do my high carb days on leg days, and I will also incorporate them on my "weak muscle group" day which also includes leg training. I've found this to be a great solution and it makes my diet enjoyable and easier to stick with