Are Low-T and various hormone imbalances in males a recent issue?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean as in the last few decades.

My father was born in 1926, grandfather in 1895/other 1875, all lived long and very active lives to very old age. My father was active and strong despite a typical 1940s/50s/60s/70/80s lifestyle of smoking, drinking and eating fatty foods. He was a strong man as well who did much physical labor in his youth and had visible muscle into his mid-60s. Both of my grandfathers were farmers who used the minimum of mechanized devices. Lived into their 90s with similar lifestyles. Never heard of stories of any of them being "off".

Me, I a have always been vigorous and healthy but this high SHBG stuff hit me a year ago and I cannot understand why it happened. I have been health conscious all my life aside from a fair amount of Third World business travels for about a decade and a half. Well, I was a teenager in the 1970s and 1980s and ate in the manner typical then. But you know no fatties back then and we all kept active.

I have come across so many different forums regarding male hormone imbalances that it sounds almost as an unspoken epidemic.

Life really is ****ty when your hormones are out of whack.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A few things to ponder...

-There is much more science, medical education and areas of special interest in meds, than there were 30-40-50 years ago.
-Hormones/drugs etc. is a big big business and more or less has only been equally "male oriented" in the last few years.
-There are most likely much more artificial and chemically altered materials, added hormones, etc. etc. than the fresher foods without preservatives, from years ago.
-There were most likely people back in the day with hormone imbalances, but went undetected, as the tests and treatments were not so available.
-Did you talk to a doctor to see if your situation is only perhaps temporary?
-There was possibly less stress on people 40-50 years ago. Nowadays, if one's brain is not being stimulated every 3-5 minutes we panic.

Were people healthier back then? I dunno, maybe!?
We always like to call them the good old days, but it's hard to say IMO.
I guess there can be trade offs. 30-40 years ago, if you were diagnosed with cancer, it could very well be a death sentence for some. Now, there are quite a few leaps in the sciences and technology fields and every year new treatments come to surface. Some are great and some can be quite hard on the body.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am on the mend thanks and getting back to my old self. I come here now for the strength training info but still post back my improvements in this subforum. Every occasion I come in here there are many more new posts with hormone issues-younger fellows too. Had me considering and so I posted the question above.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Food is worse and we're sedentary/overweight. That's a bad combination for health.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
As I.mentioned shbg.can be high in gi.inflammation which just from.your last post may be to be explained. 3 rd world travel..

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I recall your responses to my initial post here many months ago. Always appreciate your input. Dr. focused on GI and I am almost my old self only humble instead of hubris as the specific difference. Amazing what a debilitating illness will do for one's perspective on life. Incidently, I go for blood work again on June 11. I will update my original thread to show progress.

Interesting mention of diet. One of my clients is a green farming consortium and I receive their journal. A number of articles focus on nutrition loss in produce and grains since the introduction of engineered seeds.

Still, surprised at how many males of all ages are having issues.