Any car audio buffs here??

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I recently purchased a 2019 Mercedes benz GLC 300. It came with the Bermester system, which is their premium version. It really does sound great, but it's missing bass in the rear end.
I got myself a 10" powered sub & LOC to put in the back.
The trunk has a false floor, which has a thin layer of carpet and the under space where the spare would go is wide open and also carpeted.

Would it be OK to mount the sub under the false floor, or would the bass be too muffled? Or, does that sub produce too much heat to be down there?Screenshot_20240429_091447_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240429_091506_Chrome.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I haven't been a car audio buff in like 20-25 years but I did visit Car Toys recently with the exact same question on my Caddi XT4 and they wanted to instead mount a downfiring 10" sub with small feet to keep it from actually touching the carpet.

Like you, I would prefer to use the extra wheels space, but yeah... their recommendation was a full box in the cargo area, downfiring.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Mine is one of those slim, under the seat subs. Definitely packs a punch!

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m like Dustin Ive been out of the car stereo game for many years. My concerns are exactly what you brought up. Will the bass be muffled, will it get too hot and also, will it vibrate too much. Since it’s a powered sub it may get too hot. I’d find someway to mount it so it doesn’t roll around and is somewhat out of the way in that cargo area or just mount it under the seat

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
just so you know, my wifes 2018 challenger has the premium Alpine sound system. It puts the sub in the spare well. and omits a spare.

I am still into the audio stuff. am currently prepping a 2 ohm system for my ram

my only concerns would be to make sure there is some perforation into the cab... if its just carpet its fine. sub level bass travels in a omni directional pattern so it wont change a whole lot which way the sub faces. but if there is a board or whatever under the carpet remove it so the bass isnt trapped under it. also, I would really want to make sure and put some sound deadening into the rear hatch and the well too.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
also im lookin at those pics.. is it open to the back side of those rear seats when the false floor is down?>

if so you may get good bass into the cabin even with the false floor down.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Look into your enclosure. Try to match your sub with the space it has. Manufacture recommendations will be on the spec sheet. A larger sub or smaller sub in a too large or too small enclosure will not hit certain tones correctly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my only concerns would be to make sure there is some perforation into the cab... if its just carpet its fine. sub level bass travels in a omni directional pattern so it wont change a whole lot which way the sub faces. but if there is a board or whatever under the carpet remove it so the bass isnt trapped under it.
Mine is the same setup. the they make a premium, premium luxury, and then the sport has all the same stuff except carbon fiber inlay, "sport mode", and they omit the spare to cut weight down (but give you a fix a flat kit and run flats). Mine has the board so I actually use the spare tire well for extra gym shoes, golf shoes, and gross sweaty clothes between sessions so they don't stink up the car, lol.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I haven't bought any cardio for about 5 years expect backup cameras and a pioneer touchscreen on the f350 I recently installed. I use to love sundown audio. Their Korean made amps and subs with huge magnets were awesome. Covid and the problem with getting circut boards has changed many companies so you have to search now.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My pioneer screen from 5 years ago has more functionality than any today. More voltage at the outputs more equalizer settings, more stock rms. Times have changed.... and this screen was 300 dollars more.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You're lucky they stopped their Herman kardon fiber optic upgrades... just added frustration with Mercedes installing anything extra

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
When you say muffled, would the sub touch anything when playing? The speaker needs to flex but there is no problem putting it hidden under something. You could also buy some cheap sound deadening off Amazon and take away any rattling while you have it open

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You've Peaked my interest since I use to love this stuff lol. On the spec sheet it should say max x.x cu ft, min x.x cu ft. Try to match that with your allotted space and you'll get the most bang for your buck if you're looking for sound quality not just boom

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm going to get some of the sound mats, put those in & then try the sub under the trunk. The trunk itself, feels like a very think type of plywood, carpeted. It doesn't come out, and there's not much space between that and the rear seats, when positioned upright.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Larger subs get deeper bass. Truthfully unless you want the boom. An 8 inch quality sub will sound better than a 12 if space is an issue and you can't match the cu ft.

In the car audio field this is called spl vs sq aka boom vs sound quality. It's all up to your preference and what you prefer

I have 2 8 inch sundown v2 subs in matched 1.8 cu ft boxes. They hit low and the mids... I'll probably never go back to larger personally.

Jl audio made some quality stuff and have shallow mounts, just like kicker and others. I don't know their quality anymore though

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I own a set of the shallow mount Kickers in 12" running in a properly spec'd sealed box. at 2 ohms anything over 400 w and they kick a$$~!!

all that said, I agree with the above statement. u can get big bass out of small drivers when the box is built properly.

still, that doesn't apply here. we are talking about a box that is already made..

If the top panel isn't open to air flow, you will need to put a hole in it to allow that bass out or it might sound a bit underwhelming.

if it's not removable, can it be propped up so it's kind of open? that would probably work to allow better sound but it may also create noticeable vibrations. I assume since its a Mercedese its not something you want to cut up.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Here's a custom box. Just depends on what you want to spend. That one is crazy expensive just an example they do make car specific ones if you search

You can also learn to fiberglass and resin.

Even odd shapes have a cu ft measurement..... if you're not enclosing the space they also make open air subs... or just throw it in and see if you're happy. Stuff can get expensive. I'm running an scv3000, 1500w each 8

Last edited:
enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm on straight days right now and won't have a day off till next week. Currently, it's sitting on top of the trunk, not fastened down. I can hear it sliding around when I make turns.
There's no way to prop the trunk up, and you're right, I won't be cutting a hole in it. Lol..

I need to re-tune the sub and LOC because some of the bass vibrates a little too much.

I'm sure whenever I finally do fasten it down, that will improve the sound quality as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
enhanced General Chat 5
General Chat 2
IroNwIlL2006 General Chat 0
General Chat 0
ShakesAllDay General Chat 19