Nootropics Ran Indefinitely

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What nootropics do not need to be cycled?

And if anyone would like to categorize some as to what their best uses are would be great.. I know there are write ups of each but I'm talking something like..

Indefinitely
Xxx
Yyy

Taken for studying(help absorb and remember material)
Zzz
Uuu

Taken for memory recall(for exams)
Vvv
Aaa

Anxiety
Bbb
Fff
Ggg

Does that make sense? If it would be too difficult or too overlapping then I understand, but if it's possible then I think it would be a great tool for people like me who don't know a lot about them.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

And if anyone would like to categorize some as to what their best uses are would be great.. I know there are write ups of each but I'm talking something like..

Indefinitely
Xxx
Yyy

Zzz
Uuu

Vvv
Aaa

Anxiety
Bbb
Fff
Ggg

Does that make sense? If it would be too difficult or too overlapping then I understand, but if it's possible then I think it would be a great tool for people like me who don't know a lot about them.
I'd say that it's likely a good idea to cycle off all nootropics at least a few times a year, but that's just my opinion.

If I had to put anything in the "indefinite" category:
-Caffeine (yeah, people cycle it, but I try to stick to moderate amounts and vary rarely cycle off completely)
-Theanine
-Ornithine
-Pine Bark (there's at least one study showing cognitive benefits and improved exam scores in healthy students)
-Choline source

There are also a few that research suggests should be fine to take for a period of months. Now, there isn't anything saying that it's bad or not advised to run it longer, but I'd still recommend cycling them at least a few times a year:
-Ashwagandha
-Bacopa
-ALCAR
-Rhodiola
-Piracetam (although there are studies lasting 1-2 years in duration with daily supplementation)

As for the purposes, I don't really want to make a distinction between something that is going to help you "absorb and remember material" and something that will help with "memory recall," as they seem too similar in my opinion.

With that said, here's what can help with some aspect of memory/learning/memorizing stuff:
-ALCAR
-Choline (preferably CDP Choline or Alpha GPC)
-Bacopa
-Piracetam
-Huperzine-A

And here's stuff that can help with anxiety:
-Theanine
-Ashwagandha
-Kava (use responsibly, and not indefinitely)
-Kanna

I'd also like to make another category for reducing fatigue, which can improve cognition as a result:
-Rhodiola
-Ornithine
-Glycine (taken before bed)
-Caffeine (preferably with theanine and/or ornithine)

There are some more, but those are some of the main ones that have a bit of research and that I have some experience with.

You can read some more on studies on these supplements (and doses) here:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nootropics/273193-research-various-nootropics.html

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
kisaj is a big Noot man. He would also have some interesting input.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'd say that it's likely a good idea to cycle off all nootropics at least a few times a year, but that's just my opinion.

-Caffeine (yeah, people cycle it, but I try to stick to moderate amounts and vary rarely cycle off completely)
-Theanine
-Ornithine
-Pine Bark (there's at least one study showing cognitive benefits and improved exam scores in healthy students)
-Choline source

There are also a few that research suggests should be fine to take for a period of months. Now, there isn't anything saying that it's bad or not advised to run it longer, but I'd still recommend cycling them at least a few times a year:
-Ashwagandha
-Bacopa
-ALCAR
-Rhodiola
-Piracetam (although there are studies lasting 1-2 years in duration with daily supplementation)

As for the purposes, I don't really want to make a distinction between something that is going to help you "absorb and remember material" and something that will help with "memory recall," as they seem too similar in my opinion.

With that said, here's what can help with some aspect of memory/learning/memorizing stuff:
-ALCAR
-Bacopa
-Piracetam
-Huperzine-A

-Theanine
-Ashwagandha
-Kanna

I'd also like to make another category for reducing fatigue, which can improve cognition as a result:
-Rhodiola
-Ornithine

There are some more, but those are some of the main ones that have a bit of research and that I have some experience with.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nootropics/273193-research-various-nootropics.html
I personally never actually run anything indefinitely.. I either have a couple days off in a row of most things. Sometimes a few weeks, just from running out and waiting to order more.

I figured the categorization of these would be a little difficult as they can be used for so many different things. I can see how the recall/memorization would be very similar as well.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Indefinitely
Choline (prefer Alpha GPC)
Caffeine
Creatine
Agmatine

Piracetam
Modafinil
Alpha GPC
Sulbutiamine
Phosphatidylserine

ALCAR/B]
Huperzine A
Noopept
Alpha GPC

Anxiety
Aniracetam
l-tyrosine
ashwagandha
bacopa
tianeptine
theanine
picamilon
lithium
Phosphatidylserine
..and estrogen control

This is what I have off the top of my head and have used all of them personally, so opinion based off of personal experience as well as research.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is what I have off the top of my head and have used all of them personally, so opinion based off of personal experience as well as research.
I know there are some acute effects with the ones in the anxiety category, but does timing matter much with the the memory/recall categories?

The reason I ask is I was planning on picking up some Focus XT since it has a couple of those in it for a decent priceand adding others on top as needed, and I was wanting to be able to use the Focus XT pre workout as well.

Or would I benefit more from taking them before studying and before exams?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They would be useful in either case as there is benefit to taking them for workouts as well as exams or studying.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know there are some acute effects with the ones in the anxiety category, but does timing matter much with the the memory/recall categories?

The reason I ask is I was planning on picking up some Focus XT since it has a couple of those in it for a decent priceand adding others on top as needed, and I was wanting to be able to use the Focus XT pre workout as well.

Or would I benefit more from taking them before studying and before exams?
If you have an exam on a given day, I'd recommend taking your nootropic(s) of choice before the exam as opposed to before a workout on the same day, but for regular/daily use, there's nothing wrong with using it pre-workout.

There are some nootropics that have acute cognitve enhancing effects (piracetam, possibly bacopa, American ginseng, etc).

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

-Theanine
-Ornithine
-Choline source

-Ashwagandha
-Bacopa
-ALCAR
-Rhodiola

-ALCAR
-Bacopa
-Piracetam
-Huperzine-A

-Theanine
-Ashwagandha
-Kanna

-Rhodiola
-Ornithine

I love reading your posts, as well as kisaj's posts. Thanks for posting this up.