Nootropics for athletic performance

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Which noots are best for athletic performance and long time use with the least side effects?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used Magnum Limitless this summer for my triathlon and weight training. The "Happy Brain" complex had me feeling like a thoroughbred with blinders on. No joke!

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm thinking alpha gpc plus piracetam would be a great nootropic stack that can be taken for long periods. Thoughts?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Caffeine, ashwagandha, schizandra (based on Russian research), pycnogenol (studies show increased cognition in students, as well as athletic improvements in soldiers), Phosphatidylserine (PS) and Alpha-GPC (other forms of choline as well) come to mind, as they have research showing benefits in at least some aspect(s) of athletic performance.

Other supplements can improve athletic performance by increasing energy or focus or reducing fatigue, stress or anxiety, but that's a little more indirect, and these don't improve athletic performance per se I think. Things like ALCAR, rhodiola, and ornithine come to mind when I think about reducing fatigue, which could help you athletically if your performance is limited by physical or mental fatigue. Things like ALCAR, huperzine, and racetams can also help with focus, which I suppose can improve athletic performance.

I don't know if I'd say that taurine is really a nootropic, but can "neutralize several untoward effects of caffeine excess," is dirt cheap, and can slightly increase endurance.

Blueberry extract can also accelerate muscle recovery, and actually "induces cellular adaptive events that serve to accelerate muscle repair and recovery of muscle isometric strength," and, on a somewhat related note, although I don't think I'd consider pomegranate extract to be a nootropic, it has been shown to increase blood flow and endurance.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldn't call ashwagandha a nootropic. It's an adatogen. I've taken it in capsule form off and on a lot over the past year. It helped me with anxiety among other things.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't call ashwagandha a nootropic. It's an adatogen. I've taken it in capsule form off and on a lot over the past year. It helped me with anxiety among other things.
I know that ashwagandha isn't really a nootropic per se, but I feel that leaving it off the list here on a technicality wouldn't really benefit anyone. Again, I know that it doesn't seem to have any cognitive enhancing effects per se, but it's reliable in reducing stress and anxiety, which can help many people in regards to cognition and mental performance, as well as improve general quality of life. Handling stress and anxiety better is huge in today's society, and a supplement that can help with this as well as provide athletic benefits deserves a mention here IMO.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know that ashwagandha isn't really a nootropic per se, but I feel that leaving it off the list here on a technicality wouldn't really benefit anyone. Again, I know that it doesn't seem to have any cognitive enhancing effects per se, but it's reliable in reducing stress and anxiety, which can help many people in regards to cognition and mental performance, as well as improve general quality of life. Handling stress and anxiety better is huge in today's society, and a supplement that can help with this as well as provide athletic benefits deserves a mention here IMO.
Exactly. Good post.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glad I found this thread. Maybe I'll stop having to cycle off Caffeine if I just don't use it in the first place.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
ALCAR, Huperzine A, Caffeine and something like Alpha GPC get my mind in the zone and ready to go.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ALCAR, Huperzine A, Caffeine and something like Alpha GPC get my mind in the zone and ready to go.
+1 to this, but I think I prefer CDP-choline to Alpha GPC personally, and like adding theanine and ornithine to my caffeine.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Bromantane and Phenylpiracetam, they potentially help physical work capacity as well and mental.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bromantane has always made me curious, but it makes me too nervous to try. I need to see more anecdotal evidence and studies outside of the same one that is included in every description.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It has bro man in it its name, it's gotta be legit!!