Brazilian Fighters

DB1219

Awards
Has anyone noticed that nearly all Brazilian fighters appear to have the same build - low body body fat and exceptional musculature? Every Brazilian fighter I see looks virtually the same. Of course steroid use in MMA is nothing new but I do not believe all fighters use. But look at U.S. fighters not using - their musculature is varied because naturally people are built different. Every time I see a UFC Brazilian fighter - there are no weaknesses and they all look very similar. I can only think most are using an anabolic of some sort. Am I nuts or has anyone else noticed this?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Shogun , machida , Bigfoot silva, Anderson silva ?

Not sure what your getting at.

DB1219

Awards
You are correct, I do not see this trend in those fighters you mentioned. However there are many that look like Belfort . A lot of them are in Bellator, World Series of fighting, and I see it in the middle weights and lighter weight classes.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There is no science or validity behind this statement but, I think it could also depend on what their Martial Arts background is, as well.

When I was younger I practiced BJJ for a few years and I noticed guys (Brazilian and non-Brazilian) who have been doing it for a long time typically have thicker frames with dense muscles. The same can also be said for people who have wrestled for a long time.

I'm not well versed on the anatomy of muscular development and the different fibers involved, but I do know BJJ incorporates a lot of pushing, pulling, and squeezing of the muscles for a duration of time. I would assume one would build a thicker frame doing that than someone who was strictly involved in Muay Thai, which is more so cardio and striking.

I guess it can be compared to a bodybuilder and powerlifter, typically powerlifters look thicker and their muscles appear more dense.

So in short, possibly guys who have been doing BJJ majority of their lives may have different frames than someone who is mainly a striker? Everyone's body is different, so again there is no validity behind what I just said.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is no science or validity behind this statement
While I agree that there is no science to OP's statement, I disagree that his statement lacks validity. He was simply stating an opinion based on his observation.

As someone who has fought professional MMA and competed in dozens of BJJ tournament, I know what it is like competing at a high level. With the recent (and past) string of professional MMA fighters and Top BJJ players who have pissed hot for PED's, it is not outlandish to assume that many fighters are using outside of competition

Not just Brazilian fighters, although OP has pointed out that many accused and caught are in fact Brazilian, are turning to HRT or cycling on their own in order to recover from training multiple times a day as well as aiding in maintaining performance and LBM during large weight cuts

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
While I agree that there is no science to OP's statement, I disagree that his statement lacks validity. He was simply stating an opinion based on his observation.
My statement in regards to there being no science/validity was about my own post I made, not the OP's.

I agree with everything you and the OP have said.

DB1219

Awards
I really thought twice about posting my thoughts on this because I didn't want to sound like a bigot, douche or a jerk. I watch MMA frequently and I can't help but see this incredible similarity. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed. In a related story, anyone see the controversy concerning Jose Aldo and his random test?

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My statement in regards to there being no science/validity was about my own post I made, not the OP's.

I agree with everything you and the OP have said.
Awww I'm tracking