weight gaining prob

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
ive been on a journey trying to get up to 170. yesterday morning i was 152 and this morning im down to 148 wtf? i also have like 3 bowel movements a day

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
i eat alot i really dont count up each calorie or anything like that, i eat alot of rice and chicken, turkey, bread, fruit, vegetables, peanut butter, i take whey, cm, and aakg and fish and flax oil. i train 4-5 days a week the fifth being a cardio

day one : chest/tris
day two : back/bis/forearms
day three : shoulder/legs
day four : muscles i feel i missed/abs
day five : cardio

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
alot of ethnic foods too, from a spanish/indian background

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
i eat alot i really dont count up each calorie or anything like that, i eat alot of rice and chicken, turkey, bread, fruit, vegetables, peanut butter, i take whey, cm, and aakg and fish and flax oil. i train 4-5 days a week the fifth being a cardio

day one : chest/tris
day two : back/bis/forearms
day three : shoulder/legs
day four : muscles i feel i missed/abs
day five : cardio
Do you do this Mon/Tues and Thur/Fri?
Also google Bill Starr's 5x5 routine it is a great routine for both size and strength.You also should be doing alot of compound esercises-Squats,Deadlift,BenchPress,Shoulder or Military press and BentOver Rows.Compound exercises are best to help with
gaining muscle mass.
I am no expert but if you are not gaing weight you MUST eat more.It's that simple eat more and gain weight.Also take a look at fitday.com to track your calories and stuff.i hope this helps.-Joe

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
thanks bro I'm gonna try to increase the amount of compound excersizes and yes the routine is Monday thru Friday

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Do you do this Mon/Tues and Thur/Fri?
Also google Bill Starr's 5x5 routine it is a great routine for both size and strength.You also should be doing alot of compound esercises-Squats,Deadlift,BenchPress,Shoulder or Military press and BentOver Rows.Compound exercises are best to help with
gaining muscle mass.
I am no expert but if you are not gaing weight you MUST eat more.It's that simple eat more and gain weight.Also take a look at fitday.com to track your calories and stuff.i hope this helps.-Joe
I second what Joe said. The Bill Star 5x5 may be a little further along than you are ready for so also look at http://stronglifts.com it is a modified version of the 5x5 for beginners and intermediates. Also try searching "squats and milk", it is another routine that will add weight fast.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I second what Joe said. The Bill Star 5x5 may be a little further along than you are ready for so also look at http://stronglifts.com it is a modified version of the 5x5 for beginners and intermediates. Also try searching "squats and milk", it is another routine that will add weight fast.
Is squats and milk a 20 rep squat program?

avgBdybldr

avgBdybldr

Awards
  • Established
hey bud at your weight you do need to concentrate on food. if i were you, i would be making sure that you are getting 200g of protein in a day minimum, up to about 225g.

i would split that 225g into 6 meals a day, averaging 37.5g of protein per meal. this really shouldn't be to difficult to achieve.

in addition to the protein, just fill yourself up with healthy fats and carbs. i used to carry cans of roasted peanuts with me and eat them between my meals.

i had to just graze on food all day long when i was trying to put the weight on in my teens (16-18). i was able to grow from 154lbs to 195lbs within a years time following what i just said. if your like me, i hate counting every gram and every calorie. i just paid attention to what was important for my muscle growth, the protein intake. as long has i had that, i ate whatever else along with it to fill me up.

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
sounds like a good plan one thing my Spanish side of the FAM does good for sure is eat I'm sure I'll be able to blow up soon

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey cokeholio if you really want to put some size on look into the squats and milk routine.You can also google"20 Rep Squat Routine".This program will definately put some serious size on you.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
if your like me, i hate counting every gram and every calorie. i just paid attention to what was important for my muscle growth, the protein intake. as long has i had that, i ate whatever else along with it to fill me up.
I am with you there, counting calories sux but you will find most people that are just starting out need to count them for a little while. The problem is most grossly over estimate how much they are taking in. If they count for a little while they will get a feel for how much of what they need to eat and then they can go by feel.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Hey cokeholio if you really want to put some size on look into the squats and milk routine.You can also google"20 Rep Squat Routine".This program will definately put some serious size on you.
While the squats and milk will definitely put size on you it is also a brutal routine. More than likely if he is just starting out he will be in a state of overtraining very quickly on it. I would still recommend starting with the stronglifts program. Do it for 4-6 weeks and then try the 20 rep squats. You can down a gallon of milk on the stronglifts program and pack on size also. The stronglifts program will give you a chance to acclimate to frequent squating, help you develope your form, and teach you progression. I think progression is the most important part. Think of all the guys you see in the gym doing the same weights week after week that stay the same size week after week, lack of progrssion is the reason.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
While the squats and milk will definitely put size on you it is also a brutal routine. More than likely if he is just starting out he will be in a state of overtraining very quickly on it. I would still recommend starting with the stronglifts program. Do it for 4-6 weeks and then try the 20 rep squats. You can down a gallon of milk on the stronglifts program and pack on size also. The stronglifts program will give you a chance to acclimate to frequent squating, help you develope your form, and teach you progression. I think progression is the most important part. Think of all the guys you see in the gym doing the same weights week after week that stay the same size week after week, lack of progrssion is the reason.
Great Post dude:cheers:

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
deff make sense, ive been lifting since my senior year in high school but then i was like 135??!!?! lol so getting to 150 was my goal but its time to take to 170 so as far as overtraining goes i can handle that but i do feel like those programs are gonna be brutal im gonna start one of those up once i switch gyms at the end of the month thanks for all the info guys :cheers:

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
deff make sense, ive been lifting since my senior year in high school but then i was like 135??!!?! lol so getting to 150 was my goal but its time to take to 170 so as far as overtraining goes i can handle that but i do feel like those programs are gonna be brutal im gonna start one of those up once i switch gyms at the end of the month thanks for all the info guys :cheers:
You might want to do a little research on the topic of overtraining as I think you might have a different concept of what it actually is. Overtraining affects the CNS and it is rarely something that you can deal with per say. If you get to that point the only real remedy is reducing the load and the frequency. The issue with this routine for beginners is the drastic load that is going to be put on your CNS from the increased frequency of the squats and your body's attempt to recover from it. You really have to take the time an slowly build up a tolerance for the multiple squat sessions. As your body adapts you will be able to increase the weight. If you do a 5x5 routine for about 4-6 weeks starting with 70-80 of your current 5RM you should be okay. If you get to a state of overtraining you will start feeling overly fatigued, you will see a decrease in the weight/reps you are able to move, and more than likely you will see some weight loss. This is definitely not where you want to be if you are trying to gain weight. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Starting too heavy or with too many reps is going to stall your progression and results.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You might want to do a little research on the topic of overtraining as I think you might have a different concept of what it actually is. Overtraining affects the CNS and it is rarely something that you can deal with per say. If you get to that point the only real remedy is reducing the load and the frequency. The issue with this routine for beginners is the drastic load that is going to be put on your CNS from the increased frequency of the squats and your body's attempt to recover from it. You really have to take the time an slowly build up a tolerance for the multiple squat sessions. As your body adapts you will be able to increase the weight. If you do a 5x5 routine for about 4-6 weeks starting with 70-80 of your current 5RM you should be okay. If you get to a state of overtraining you will start feeling overly fatigued, you will see a decrease in the weight/reps you are able to move, and more than likely you will see some weight loss. This is definitely not where you want to be if you are trying to gain weight. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Starting too heavy or with too many reps is going to stall your progression and results.
What do you think about EDT training routines.I am just finishing 6 weeks of GVT
and was thinking on doing EDT next.
Thank You-Joe

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
What do you think about EDT training routines.I am just finishing 6 weeks of GVT
and was thinking on doing EDT next.
Thank You-Joe
I have only looked at the EDT stuff very breifly so I dont really have an opinion on it. Best thing I could say is if it sounds interesting to you give it a try. I spent a couple of years doing different routines because they were "better" than the others and the only thing I really learned is that all routines work. All routines might not work for everybody but all routines work for somebody.
In 2007 I focused on the Max-OT routine and saw nice results but I wanted to try something different so I moved to a 5x5 at the beginning of the year. This is where I have seen the best gains in both mass and strength.
Here is what I did:
I started with the stronglift's 5x5 for 8 weeks to build my foundation and acclimate to the frequency. After that I moved to a 5x5 called the Texas Method developed by Mark Rippetoe. There is also a new stronglift's advanced program that is similar. When I start stalling on my gains using the Texas Method I will probably do 6 weeks of GVT and then return to the Texas method for 6 weeks and keep alternating between the two. The thought is you get to vary the routine to prevent muscle memory and keep it from getting stagnant and boring plus you get to hit both types of hypertrophy. The 5x5 produces myofbrillar hypertrophy and leads to strength increases. The GVT will produce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy builds mass. (reference - Rippetoe&Kilgore - Practical Programming for Strength Training, Zatsiorsky - Science and Practice of Strength Training)
Again it is just a theory but the proof is in the pudding...

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey dawaro thank you so much for your help and are you a trainer?Cokeholio good to luck to you and take all the advice
dawaro gives.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Hey dawaro thank you so much for your help and are you a trainer?Cokeholio good to luck to you and take all the advice
dawaro gives.
No problem on the help but no I am not a trainer. I am just one of those people that got tired of doing routine after routine and not seeing results. After years of frustration I started doing a lot more research. Instead of looking at the latest routine in Muscle & Fiction I talk to people at the gym and in forums and see what works for them. Like I said before all routines work, the hard part is all the trial and error it takes to find the one that works for you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
117codyawebb Nutrition / Health 10
Weight Loss 27
Jcoleman1 Bulking 15
TyMan14 Weight Loss 23
Bulking 15