Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s what I miss about having a lifting partner. Went w same guy for 2 yrs. He was a little older and way stronger. But knew when to step in and when to let me grind it out
We actually started lifting together from him saying “hey junior, I saw you trying to hurt yourself yesterday, why don’t you come lift with me”. Never swapped numbers, we both just worked u til 4 and got to gym same time every day and would agree on 10am for saturdays. Gym ran a killer $225 for 2 yrs special that we both jumped on and 3 months later showing up to an empty gym w doors locked. Haven’t seen him since.
Damn, sad ending to that one

I love my lifting buddies for the heavy lifts but the problem is they lack conditioning or drive for the extra work.
I love the big lifts, for sure, but I really enjoy the "pop tart" accessories that I let myself do after I finished "the work". They're good for a squat session, pull, or press session. but once I move into triceps, shoulders, biceps, etc they tap out.

Except my son. won't back squat, but loves to leg press 400lb+, leg curl/extend the whole machine etc hahaha
This is pretty normal, ultimately. To do the big lifting together, then split up for piddly stuff. Plus people generally need different accessories, or like different movements, or need to do things differently for injuries and such eventually.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s what I miss about having a lifting partner. Went w same guy for 2 yrs. He was a little older and way stronger. But knew when to step in and when to let me grind it out
We actually started lifting together from him saying “hey junior, I saw you trying to hurt yourself yesterday, why don’t you come lift with me”. Never swapped numbers, we both just worked u til 4 and got to gym same time every day and would agree on 10am for saturdays. Gym ran a killer $225 for 2 yrs special that we both jumped on and 3 months later showing up to an empty gym w doors locked. Haven’t seen him since.
What a bummer! Both the money outlay and losing a good spotter.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This is pretty normal, ultimately. To do the big lifting together, then split up for piddly stuff. Plus people generally need different accessories, or like different movements, or need to do things differently for injuries and such eventually.
for sure, but in my scenario it's one guy who wants to put in work, and another who has petered out or lazy, but unfortunately the one who has petered out drove with the guy who's putting in the work. so his option is to keep going or pretend to die under the barbell for a half hour.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
for sure, but in my scenario it's one guy who wants to put in work, and another who has petered out or lazy, but unfortunately the one who has petered out drove with the guy who's putting in the work. so his option is to keep going or pretend to die under the barbell for a half hour.
Your gym partner is playing opossum!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Squats
10 x 95
5 x 135, 185
3 x 225, 255

Rack pulls mid shin
5 x 225, 275
1 x 315, 365, 405, 455

Power cleans
10 x 95
5 x 135, 155, 175, 195

Power snatch
10 x 95
1 x 135

Hammer strength twist machine thingy
3 x 12

Superset ez bar curls
3 x 12

Seated incline DB curls
2 x 10

Everything firing slow today, but got some work in.

IMG20240425113504.jpg
IMG20240425115825.jpg

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have the same gym bag 😂

I'm listening to Dr. Mike Israetel talk about rack pulls, seeing your post about rack pulls, I guess I need to work in some rack pulls.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Some people don't believe in them but I have not put enough time into ROM lately so the rack pulls are letting me feel some heavier weight in my hands while I work back up.. had great glute and hammy engagement though!

My buddy went up to 495 today but I felt like 455 was enough of a grind for me today.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have the same gym bag

I'm listening to Dr. Mike Israetel talk about rack pulls, seeing your post about rack pulls, I guess I need to work in some rack pulls.
The green one is my buddy's with the phat squat, the grey one is mine lol. Wife got it for me years ago and somehow it's still holding up. Sorta....

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The green one is my buddy's with the phat squat, the grey one is mine lol. Wife got it for me years ago and somehow it's still holding up. Sorta....
Yup, the grey one I got probably 8-10 years ago, amazon special, and somehow it's still alive lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yup, the grey one I got probably 8-10 years ago, amazon special, and somehow it's still alive lol.
you got that waterproof pocket sewn into one side? I used that side for years, especially when I was xfitting, for sweaty gear. now days it is torn on the inside so if I'm not careful with my knee sleeves they'll destroy everything in my bag before I even get home lol

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
you got that waterproof pocket sewn into one side? I used that side for years, especially when I was xfitting, for sweaty gear. now days it is torn on the inside so if I'm not careful with my knee sleeves they'll destroy everything in my bag before I even get home lol
Yup! I don't really use it often however. It was nice when I'd lift before classes for sweaty undies, but now my chalk lives there, or beard stuff if I need to go somewhere after training lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yup! I don't really use it often however. It was nice when I'd lift before classes for sweaty undies, but now my chalk lives there, or beard stuff if I need to go somewhere after training lol.
dude in my gym bag, from memory right now:
  1. earbuds
  2. emergency earbuds
  3. green, orange, and red bands
  4. wrist wraps
  5. chalk
  6. salts <-- which should be replaced
  7. one wrist strap, cause I lost one
  8. liquid chalk
  9. sling shot
  10. extra socks, 2 shirts, shorts, shoes
  11. a key that I'm not sure what it goes to
  12. gymnastics grips
  13. extra wrist wraps (wrap style, not velcro style)
  14. and probably some other crap lol

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
dude in my gym bag, from memory right now:
  1. earbuds
  2. emergency earbuds
  3. green, orange, and red bands
  4. wrist wraps
  5. chalk
  6. salts <-- which should be replaced
  7. one wrist strap, cause I lost one
  8. liquid chalk
  9. sling shot
  10. extra socks, 2 shirts, shorts, shoes
  11. a key that I'm not sure what it goes to
  12. gymnastics grips
  13. extra wrist wraps (wrap style, not velcro style)
  14. and probably some other crap lol
Lmao this should be a thread, gym bag list.
1. Headphones
2. wrist wraps
4. Thicker wrist wraps
5. 70cm figure 8s
6. 80cm figure 8s
7. Arm occlusion band
8. Leg occlusion bands
9. Liquid chalk
10. Climbing chalk
11. KT tape
12. Squat shoes
13. Lever belt
14. Lighter velcro belt
15. Loading pin
16. 3" rolling handle
17. Fat gripz
18. Wet wipes
19. Whatever else I throw in for the day

I'm lucky I can just go after my 1130 meeting and come back home though, no extra/sweaty clothes or anything.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I forgot deodorant is on my list as well lol

7. Arm occlusion band
8. Leg occlusion bands
I never got into them, do you like using occlusion bands?

12. Squat shoes
13. Lever belt
so in the back cargo area of my car I keep 3 pairs of shoes and my inzer belt permanently, lol. On squat/pull days, I grab the flats and inzer. on press or cardio days, the sauconys. I used to keep my ristos in my bag but it was getting cumbersome and I was using them less and less.

14. Lighter velcro belt
I finally stopped using a velcro belt entirely but loved my old valeo when I was oly lifting.

oh yeah one other item... dip belt.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I never got into them, do you like using occlusion bands?
I like them for arms and calves on a hypertrophy specific day, which I don't do very often anymore since moving to strength training. Layne Norton got me into it a few years back, and the science behind it is very intriguing, however it can be done wrong very easily (too tight, too loose). It's humbling though, I max out cables for tricep extensions and have to work tempo, but with bands I can bust it down to 25-30lb and bang out 20 reps and feel like my arms are going to pop.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
See the real key is just to own the gym so the entire space is your gym bag. 😋

Occlusion work is great when done right. I know I’ve posted about it in various threads before, for lots of people it’s maybe not worth the expense, but we use Saga cuffs at my gym.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
See the real key is just to own the gym so the entire space is your gym bag. 😋

Occlusion work is great when done right. I know I’ve posted about it in various threads before, for lots of people it’s maybe not worth the expense, but we use Saga cuffs at my gym.
That is the dream lol. I want a brewery, gym, and a restaurant all attached. Restaurants name is "Only Eggs." Guess what they serve.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A lot of people don’t know this, but you can put your weed in there!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is the dream lol. I want a brewery, gym, and a restaurant all attached. Restaurants name is "Only Eggs." Guess what they serve.
Ha! I have the same dream. Greenhouses, restaurant, training empire, bar/lounge.
My business model is fool proof, send funding please.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ha! I have the same dream. Greenhouses, restaurant, training empire, bar/lounge.
My grow op is in Virginia about an hour away, all hypothetical of course. Nothing but the best for my patrons.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Layne Norton got me into it a few years back, and the science behind it is very intriguing,
funny enough, it was Layne that got me interested in them too lol

See the real key is just to own the gym so the entire space is your gym bag.
ha been there done that, not going down that road again 😅
I definitely grew to appreciate "showing up" to other peoples gyms when it was no longer my responsibility to top of the toilet paper or fix the bikes etc

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
2 x 12 x 95
3 x 135, 185, 205, 225, 245, 265
1 x 275

Slingshot
1 x 295, 305, 305
4 x 275

+Greenbands
5 x 135
EMOTM
10 x 3 x 145

Raw
25 x 135 wide grip

EZ bar lying Skull crushers
12 x 50, 60, 70

Superset with rear delt swings
3 x 15 x 22.5lbs

Rope pushdowns
1 x 20

Battle ropes
3 rounds at like 20 - 30 seconds each for fun

Weight 195
IMG20240426115010.jpg

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya Layne did a decent bit of talking about it when it started to get more popular with Jeremy Loeneke's hyping and studies of it awhile back. Use it more in the rehab space, but think it still has some cool potential as at the very least a nice change up even in healthy individuals.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
that was a decent session even though I would have liked another half hour of training.
It was nice to steamroll my buddy today since he rack pulled 495 yesterday and I smoked him on bench lol. #balance
the battle ropes... I hate that I enjoyed playing with them.

I get to where I really crave that cardio kick to clean out the chest. feels good, makes me feel healthier.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Count me in. A brewery / gym combo sounds pretty sweet. I mean, after all beer muscles are a thing! But for real, I could see running/owning/working in a brewery...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Deadlifts
4 sets very light

DB curls
3 x 15

Superset with EZ bar curls
3 sets

Leg press
10 x +90, +180, +270
5 x +330, +360

Battle ropes
7 rounds of 20 seconds
Sorta Tabata style

Talked my boy into a rare lower day so we went super light on deads to teach him the movement. Otherwise was all accessory day.

I was shocked he was up for battle ropes

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Deadlifts
4 sets very light

DB curls
3 x 15

Superset with EZ bar curls
3 sets

Leg press
10 x +90, +180, +270
5 x +330, +360

Battle ropes
7 rounds of 20 seconds
Sorta Tabata style

Talked my boy into a rare lower day so we went super light on deads to teach him the movement. Otherwise was all accessory day.

I was shocked he was up for battle ropes
Did you guys trade the ropes back and forth, 20 seconds on, 20 rest while the other goes?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did you guys trade the ropes back and forth, 20 seconds on, 20 rest while the other goes?
I set the Tabata timer on my wod app (20on 10 off) and we rotated rounds so it was like 20 seconds of work, 20-30 seconds break. Not true Tabata but enough to work into it....

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
20 x bar
10 x 95
5 x 135, 185
1 x 225, 250, 270, 290

Slingshot
1 x 305, 315
6 x 275 (reps PR)

Raw
8 x 225

Tricep cable push downs
3 sets

Machine dips
3 sets

Pec deck
3 sets

Machine Incline press
5 sets

Battle ropes
7 x 20 sec on, 40 sec off

LISS (Duolingo time)
25 min

Notes
Sunday bro sesh with my boy. First 290/315 since January I think and both felt awesome. Had 320 in the tank easy but wanted to end strong.

I think maybe 225 x 10 too but I went straight from the 275 x 6 into raw without break.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah that was a killer session. Just finished four full weeks of my Epiandro run and I think between that and the extra banded work I'm starting to see some progress again. I grabbed that 185 for a single on my warm up progression but it flew so I knocked out 5 and knew it was gonna be a killer day.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah that was a killer session. Just finished four full weeks of my Epiandro run and I think between that and the extra banded work I'm starting to see some progress again. I grabbed that 185 for a single on my warm up progression but it flew so I knocked out 5 and knew it was gonna be a killer day.
That did look like a solid session. I can’t get the slingshot out of my mind! Haha and now rack pulls. I was also planning on an epiandro run as well from Oct-Dec to try to hit my goals.