Building Back Up

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Skullcrushers 3 x 11/11/10 x 45
what's your methodology for these? when you say 45, I'm thinking you mean a 45lb db?
I have found that the only way I can do them is lying, flat bench, with barbell/ez bar
but any standing variation at all makes my elbow miserable. been that way since high school.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
what's your methodology for these? when you say 45, I'm thinking you mean a 45lb db?
I have found that the only way I can do them is lying, flat bench, with barbell/ez bar
but any standing variation at all makes my elbow miserable. been that way since high school.
Try standing on your band with one foot and doing one arm overhead extensions with the hand on that side.

This is more of a warmup or high-rep finisher, but it is usually not bad on elbows the way free weights are when standing. And the strength curve matches the tricep’s function well.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, well, 45 pound EZ bar. Weak…I know 😭
I do them laying on a flat bench, shoulders pinned back and down like a bench press set up, zero flare on the elbows. How do you do them standing???

edit: oh, standing as in overhead extensions?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, well, 45 pound EZ bar. Weak…I know
when I brought them back in I started with like 30-40lb bar just to feel the stretch and see if my elbows would pop. I only started increasing weight on them in the last week or so as I test the movement and see how my elbows respond. I do like it though, getting more tricep doms from these any any other movement right now.

How do you do them standing???
any of the standard methodologies, cable, db, barbell etc:

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
when I brought them back in I started with like 30-40lb bar just to feel the stretch and see if my elbows would pop. I only started increasing weight on them in the last week or so as I test the movement and see how my elbows respond. I do like it though, getting more tricep doms from these any any other movement right now.

any of the standard methodologies, cable, db, barbell etc:

View attachment 241804
Oh ok, I would’ve called those overhead extensions as opposed to skull crushers. I do those with the rope overhead.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Traditional DL 3x315, 2 x 3 x 365
Mid-Row Machine 8x245, 8x265, 8x285
Reverse Pec Deck 3 x 8 x 30
Machine Shrugs 10x180, 8x230, 2 x 6 x 250
Incline DB Curls
Hammer Curls

DL still pretty far behind, but at least I can walk 315 back in the rack still.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
3 sets each
Seated DB OHP
NG Pullups
Machine Chest Press
Seated DB Lateral Raise
Machine Shrugs
Biceps Curls
Triceps Pressdowns

No weights worth noting, but only a little behind where I was before getting sick.
Seated DB OHP 10x70’s, 9x75’s, 2x8x80’s
NG Pull-ups 4x4
Machine Chest Press 11x200, 10x210, 8x220
Seated DB Lateral Raise 3 x 12/10/10 x 12.5’s
Triceps Pressdowns 3 x 14/11/8 x 44
Machine Shrug 10x230, 2x8x250, 8x230

Pushed the DB OHP harder after hearing from a friend who recently began a sust250 blast get 2 sets of 10 with 90’s. He’s obviously got quite the edge, but it’s still good competition for now.

Last edited:
GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Low Incline DB Press 3 x 8 x 80’s
Machine OHP 3 x 9/8/9 x 180
Dips 3 x 6
Seated DB Lateral Raise 3 x 13/12/15 x 10’s
Skullcrushers 3 x 11/11/10 x 45
1 Arm Pressdown 1 x 8 x 16.5

Still working my way back up. Kcal are still about 4k; gained all the weight back from being sick 😂
Sleeping like trash again though. I just don’t get it.
Low Incline DB Press 3 x 8 x 85’s
Machine OHP 3 x 9/9/10 x 180
Dips 3 x 8
Seated Lateral Raise 3 x 12 x 10’s (last set drop to 8 x 5’s)
Skullcrushers 3 x 8 x 60
1 Arm Pressdowns 1 x 10 x 16.5

IMG_2199.jpeg

My preferred workout style. 😎

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Taking the day off, but will resume tomorrow.
Omnium Gatherum with my 12 year old son tonight. Easily one of my favorite bands. Super pumped.:cool:

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Taking the day off, but will resume tomorrow.
Omnium Gatherum with my 12 year old son tonight. Easily one of my favorite bands. Super pumped.:cool:
Omnium Gatherum was amazing, and my son who doesn’t even like metal (yes, I made him go), started bobbing his head and clapping. He loved it. Then we walked over to Queensryche. Also amazing, by a little disappointed they only played The Warning in its entirety, so no Jet City Woman.

Judas Priest Saturday with the whole family 😎

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
damn dude that's a line up. I was golfing with a buddy last night and he told me he just saw Primus, Tool, and Perfect Circle in Colorado recently. I hadn't heard anyone even mention Perfect Circle in years!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
damn dude that's a line up. I was golfing with a buddy last night and he told me he just saw Primus, Tool, and Perfect Circle in Colorado recently. I hadn't heard anyone even mention Perfect Circle in years!
I could never get into Tool, but I saw Primus and A Perfect Circle about 25 years ago lol. Great shows, but I grew out of A Perfect Circle as I found heavier music. I haven’t gone to any concerts in 15 years (except Trans-Siberian Orchestra about 5 years ago), but that Septicflesh show last month awakened the beast within (figuratively speaking, since I love Jesus). My son last night said “Daddy, we should start going to metal shows a lot now.” I shed a tear 🥲

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dude I've been going backwards lately. Anything Zakk Wylde, Black Label Society, White Zombie. I just pick on, then let the playlist auto select for pretty much all my gym sessions lately.

Yesterday we stuck behind a miserably slow play group walking 9 holes of golf. By the 4th hole I was like screw it, I'm done. I turned on my bluetooth to Black Label, cranked one and drove it past their second shots lol. Not great etiquette, but neither is their 25 minute per hole average. When we got up to our approach shots they picked their balls up and moved on to the next hole (as they should)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dude I've been going backwards lately. Anything Zakk Wylde, Black Label Society, White Zombie. I just pick on, then let the playlist auto select for pretty much all my gym sessions lately.

Yesterday we stuck behind a miserably slow play group walking 9 holes of golf. By the 4th hole I was like screw it, I'm done. I turned on my bluetooth to Black Label, cranked one and drove it past their second shots lol. Not great etiquette, but neither is their 25 minute per hole average. When we got up to our approach shots they picked their balls up and moved on to the next hole (as they should)
“Been a Long Time” is a BLS classic I’ll never tire of in the gym.

The world is full of people who do not appreciate the value of time, or have any respect for yours. I call those people ‘Susie-f*ck-abouts’. They will never stop being there - in the stores, on the road, at the gym, in your workplaces. Which, they have a right to be. But Susie isn’t concerned with paying any consideration to you, so don’t pay them any heed as you leave them in the dust.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Traditional DL 3x315, 2 x 3 x 365
Mid-Row Machine 8x245, 8x265, 8x285
Reverse Pec Deck 3 x 8 x 30
Machine Shrugs 10x180, 8x230, 2 x 6 x 250
Incline DB Curls
Hammer Curls

DL still pretty far behind, but at least I can walk 315 back in the rack still.
Deadlift 4 x 5/4/4/4 x 345
Machine Row 10x245, 8x265, 8x285, 6x305
Reverse Pec Deck 3 x 10 x 30
Machine Shrugs 12x180, 3 x 8/8/8 x 250
Hammer Curl 3 x 12/10/8 x 27.5’s
Machine Preacher

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
‘Susie-f*ck-abouts’.
ahaha gonna remember that. I just always refer to them as having zero self awareness. they're like the people who park sideways in the grocery isles and block 17 others trying to grab a bag of carrots.

following these Susie's, it took us 3hrs to play 9holes. we walked, they were carting. For reference, I've played that course a full 18holes walking in 3 1/2 hours when there was nobody slowing me down. (it was also raining so that's probably why nobody was in front of me, lol)

on the flip side, I find walking a little golf to be a therapeutic way to get some LISS In. it's a great way to get some time in green areas. (no pun intended)

Machine Preacher
solid work!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Forgot to mention…ripped a callous off while walking the 315 DL back in. Holy smokes, does that burn when you get something in there! I haven’t done that in 15 years. No blood, but good grief, the burn 😅

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ahahaha I know that feel too well. when they're really bad I'll wrap them at night with some bag balm or vitamin E, but you gotta let them dry out during the day to firm up the skin or they'll tear worse and never heal. for some reason my hands were super soft this winter but are nice and ragged again.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
ahahaha I know that feel too well. when they're really bad I'll wrap them at night with some bag balm or vitamin E, but you gotta let them dry out during the day to firm up the skin or they'll tear worse and never heal. for some reason my hands were super soft this winter but are nice and ragged again.
So take the bandaid off that I have on there holding the skin on? lol

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So take the bandaid off that I have on there holding the skin on? lol
the skin isn't gonna heal back to itself really, I rarely get these things bad enough anymore but in the xfit days I'd get a quarter or fifty cent piece sized tear/hole right in the middle of the hand anytime I had to do more than 60-100 pull-ups. during the day I found it was best to let it dry out/air out and at night wrap it in vit E, neosporin, or bag balm.

if I only let it dry, it would shrink so when I opened it up, it would crack. but if I always kept it bandaged then the skin would stay so soft it would tear immediately again. I can't find any pictures at the moment but I had some nasty ones in the day

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'd clip off as much of the loose skin as possible then decide if it needs Neosporin or just to airdry/heal. I find I tear less with chalk even though it dries out the skin a bit.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Seated DB OHP 10x70’s, 9x75’s, 2x8x80’s
NG Pull-ups 4x4
Machine Chest Press 11x200, 10x210, 8x220
Seated DB Lateral Raise 3 x 12/10/10 x 12.5’s
Triceps Pressdowns 3 x 14/11/8 x 44
Machine Shrug 10x230, 2x8x250, 8x230

Pushed the DB OHP harder after hearing from a friend who recently began a sust250 blast get 2 sets of 10 with 90’s. He’s obviously got quite the edge, but it’s still good competition for now.
Seated DB OHP 3 x 9 x 80’s
Machine Chest Press 9x210, 8x220, 7x230
Seated Lateral Raise 3 x 10/10/15 x 12.5’s
Machine OHP 2 x 7 x 190
Triceps Pressdowns 3 x 9/8/8 x 49.5
Overhead Extension 3 x 8 x 27.5

Everything moving up nicely…body weight up to 230 though, so I might need to slow down 😂

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Machine OHP 2 x 7 x 190

Everything moving up nicely…body weight up to 230 though, so I might need to slow down
Nah, you can still make it into the 308 class by end of year at that pace - believe in yourself homie

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
sorta sucks how they always want to move in tandem, huh? LOL
Yeah, for real. I can see I’ve gained a good bit of fat, but my wife says she can’t tell since I “carry it well”. Nevertheless, this gain phase can’t last too much longer because my clothes aren’t fitting in the worst places any more 😂

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Machine OHP 2 x 7 x 190

Everything moving up nicely…body weight up to 230 though, so I might need to slow down 😂
This workout gave me the worst PEM in months. Unsure what other variables played in but it was bad. Didn’t bother logging the Pull/squat workout Saturday, but I did it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, for real. I can see I’ve gained a good bit of fat, but my wife says she can’t tell since I “carry it well”. Nevertheless, this gain phase can’t last too much longer because my clothes aren’t fitting in the worst places any more
If you have a good wife (likely), you can’t trust her. She loves you, she probably truly does believe what she’s saying, & her priority is the stability of her house and that works better when you are happy & empowered. Other women are also less threatening to her if you are fatter, and she may very well think you look awesome as is. AND a good healthy relationship partner is generally supportive - she doesn’t want you worried about trivial crap.

I don’t know if all of that is coming out right, but what I mean to say is I don’t entirely worry about what my wife thinks of my physique. She overall has always been attracted to me & supportive of me, and the fact she puts up with my crap means she will also accept me even if I let things slide a lot - she’s not going to step out over 40lbs of extra fat even. And she also knows things are usually temporary, for better or worse - people can gain and lose fat.

So I focus on trying to keep things to my standards for myself, knowing if I meet those then I will be taking care of hers by default. And if I don’t like how my clothes fit, I have my true feedback. One shirt can stretch some, or shrink, but if all of them feel similarly I know exactly what’s happening. I can wear XL again somewhat, but my belly is still a bit too big for some!

This workout gave me the worst PEM in months. Unsure what other variables played in but it was bad. Didn’t bother logging the Pull/squat workout Saturday, but I did it.
At least you kicked some butt, on the positive

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nevertheless, this gain phase can’t last too much longer because my clothes aren’t fitting in the worst places any more
One shirt can stretch some, or shrink, but if all of them feel similarly I know exactly what’s happening. I can wear XL again somewhat, but my belly is still a bit too big for some!
I'm with you guys. I notice it mostly in my lats, not that they're putting on 20lbs of pure muscle, but I probably add some fat there and when I have to stretch my gym shirts or when the buttons on the dress shirts start looking like they're holding on for dear life things are getting sketchy lol

Other women are also less threatening to her if you are fatter, and she may very well think you look awesome as is. AND a good healthy relationship partner is generally supportive - she doesn’t want you worried about trivial crap.
all these things are true. I don't know about other relationships but I think my wife and I tend to be attracted to whatever each other is even if that isn't what it was... she gains 10 or 20lbs, wow suddenly I'm in to a little extra squish! fake tits after the mastectomy? wow suddenly I like some grapefruit knockers. little lollypop scar around the nip? awesome, makes the areola stand out! LOL. physical attraction always seems to be multiplied 10x when the rest of the relationship is in a good place.

now that said, experience tells me that women do tend to be more attracted to a bit more meat and brawn vs the 8% 125lb abercrombie models. a six pack looks good on a magazine cover but if she's bigger than you than her instincts probably don't see you as a protector lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Low Incline DB Press 3 x 8 x 85’s
Machine OHP 3 x 9/9/10 x 180
Dips 3 x 8
Seated Lateral Raise 3 x 12 x 10’s (last set drop to 8 x 5’s)
Skullcrushers 3 x 8 x 60
1 Arm Pressdowns 1 x 10 x 16.5

View attachment 241973
My preferred workout style. 😎
Low Incline DB Press 3 x 10/10/8 x 75’s
Dips 3 x 8
Seated Lateral Raise 4 x 12/10/10/16 x 10’s
Skullcrushers 4 x 8 x 60

Took my db press back a little from last week because my front delts are still fried from Friday. Still hit failure on last set, but didn’t have the juevos to push it, so figured I’d start a new block.

Last edited:
GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Machine Preacher
Deadlift Top Set 4 x 405
Machine Row 10x265, 9x285, 8x305, 7x325
Reverse Pec Deck (I don’t know)
Machine Shrugs 3 x 8/7/7 x 270
Hammer Curls 3 x 10/8/8 x 30’s

I’ll have 5 reps of 405 probably by next week on DL. Row strength moving up nicely. Felt great today.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah getting softer sucks but getting stronger kicks ass, what a conundrum.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Deadlift Top Set 4 x 405
Machine Row 10x265, 9x285, 8x305, 7x325
Reverse Pec Deck (I don’t know)
Machine Shrugs 3 x 8/7/7 x 270
Hammer Curls 3 x 10/8/8 x 30’s

I’ll have 5 reps of 405 probably by next week on DL. Row strength moving up nicely. Felt great today.
deads are looking strong!

Yeah getting softer sucks but getting stronger kicks ass, what a conundrum.
yeah the struggle is real man.