8 Exercises to Help You Get Better at Pull-ups

Prince

Prince

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Nobody can deny it: pullups are tough — even for the most dedicated gym rats. It requires exceptional strength to lift your own body weight up to a bar from a standstill.
The pullup is the ultimate display of strength. Some may consider getting one pullup lucky, but when you can rep them out, it showcases some intense levels of strength.
Achieving a perfect pullup demands both motivation and perseverance, alongside smart training. Pullups primarily engage your lats and biceps while also calling upon your deltoids, rhomboids, and core muscles to also step up to the plate. Strengthening these muscle groups is essential to helping you be able to pull yourself up and accomplish pullups.
While there are many ways to show off your strength and power, nothing quite compares to the pullup. It requires robust back, shoulder, and arm muscles, along with a solid core. But if you are ready to master this impressive feat, you might feel a bit daunted by the task ahead.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
8. Flexed-Arm Hang
The flexed-arm hang is a challenging hanging exercise designed to develop the necessary strength for the final portion of a pullup. Mostly done in the chinup position, with palms facing toward you, it targets key muscles used in completing the pullup motion.
I had the most luck getting athletes into full pull-ups from doing slow negatives. Similar to the arm hang, but starting at the top of the pull-up position and letting themselves down as slowly as possible, doing a handful of reps per day. It was pretty impressive to see people who on day 1, would drop like a rock, and after a week or two are closing in on their first ever pull-up.

I'm glad to see you didn't include banded pull-ups. They became a staple in the xfit community. They serve a purpose, but I watched people spend years on a band never getting a pull-up, then move to negatives and start hammering them out in a couple of weeks.